SteelSeries, Mad Catz launch new Sensei and Rat Albino mice

By on August 11, 2011, 7:09 PM

SteelSeries and Mad Catz have offered their respective takes on highly customizable gaming mice today, courtesy of the Sensei and Cyborg Rat Albino. Both have deep roots stemming from existing mice in the companies' product lines. The former is strongly modeled after 2009's Xai, while the latter is essentially the infamous Rat 7 with a facelift.

SteelSeries claims its Sensei is the most customizable mouse in town with its embedded 32-bit ARM processor, which enables sensitivity speeds up to 5,700 DPI or an "overclocked" 11,400 DPI -- far higher than you can likely use in any practical scenario. The company says it's for folks running multiple displays, but 11,400 DPI still seems like overkill.

The ARM chip also supports SteelSeries' ExactTech settings (ExactSens, ExactAccel and ExactAim), which are calculated on the fly and can be tweaked with a built-in LCD on the underside of the device. Naturally, greater degrees of control are offered with the full-fledged SteelSeries Engine software, including specific device or software profiles.

The ambidextrous metallic body should be suitable for most hand and grip styles. It seems short and narrow enough for fingertip users, but long and curved enough for palm grips. It should also blend into most décors with an adjustable LED 16-million color lighting scheme. The Sensei is set to arrive next month with an MSRP of $89.99 and €89.99.

Meanwhile, Mad Catz's Cyborg Rat Albino is a white version of the Rat 7 with a broader range of sensitivity (6,400 max DPI versus 5,600). As with its predecessors, the Albino features an incredibly flexible modular design that guarantees you'll be able to find the ideal fit for your hand. Engadget's hands-on shows an exploded view of the device's componentry.

It's worth noting that users have criticized the Rat series for its Phillips Twin-Eye sensor, which has Z axis tracking issues. We don't know if the Albino uses that sensor, and it may not affect your usage anyway, but it's worth investigating before pulling the trigger. The Rat Albino will be sold exclusively through GameShark for $100 (the Rat 7's original MSRP).

pcnthuziast said:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

cyriene said:

I have an original RAT 7 and it is the most comfortable mouse I have used. I may get this white one for my gaming system and use the original for my main workstation.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Disregarding any actual performance and/or functionality this mouse might have, I still have to say, it is a hideous-looking mouse.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

+1 lawfer

In fact is it is one of the most hideous looking PC related device I've seen.

Arris Arris said:

White mouse with lots of nooks and cranies plus sweaty gamer hands makes for a device that needs some frequent difficult cleaning.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

pcnthuziast said:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

That was *exactly* what I was thinking when I saw that.

Looks like something that should be out there fighting Zentradi.

A mouse with a CPU...that's hardcore.

pcnthuziast said:

Ironic you mention Zentradi since I just yesterday started watching the Macross Saga again... it's been at least a decade since I last saw it. lol

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

lawfer said:

Archean said:

+1 lawfer

In fact is it is one of the most hideous looking PC related device I've seen.

People are so bend on superficial designs and the "looks" of a product when that really does not matter...

Arris said:

Now that's what is more important.

I work as a helpdesk guy, who does additional work on security cameras and servers. When the looks of these devices convince other people who know nothing about them to buy it without regard for their features and capabilities, it's rather annoying, expecially when they wont hear the IT Department's say on it or even allow us to purchase the products ourselves.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

trillionsin said:

lawfer said:

Archean said:

+1 lawfer

In fact is it is one of the most hideous looking PC related device I've seen.

Arris said:

Now that's what is more important.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with your way of thinking.

In technology, aesthetics is just as important as functionality. Both are factors put into consideration when buying a product; you see, you wouldn't buy a Mac and then get a third-party, black mouse for it. Everyday-use devices require to have both characteristics in order to be appealing to consumers.

Alternatively, I see you don't exactly disagree with it being hideous-looking, you seem to be implying that's what's not really important. Which, in this case, is good you realize it is in fact a bad-looking device, because as far as to how much does that matters will depend on the person. Then again, the consensus is that people care for both, but a specific group cares for one more than the other. You fall into that group.

The biggest problem of mice today isn't their ergonomy not even their responsiveness. It's their ability to stay clean. So a good mouse with cotton replacement patches will sell like crazy.

Hideously beautiful

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I own several Logitech gaming mice and even a pair of Roccat gaming mice but I still don't know what to think everytime I see one of these RAT devices. Everyone of them look like they've been run over by a truck. Maximum PC does think highly of RAT series, adding the RAT 9 to their 2011 Dream PC. I guess there's more to these mice than meets the eye.

aj_the_kidd said:

trillionsin said:

Since allot of products these days function the same or very similarly its generally the "look" that wins people over, just saying.

I think the Rat holds the world record for most customizable mouse every created. I think this is geared towards Mac users.