EA announces reboot of cyberpunk classic, Syndicate

By on September 12, 2011, 7:00 PM

Following months of speculation, EA has finally come clean about its upcoming reboot to the cyberpunk classic, Syndicate. Originally launched in 1993 as an real-time tactical game, the title is being repackaged as a sci-fi first-person shooter and will land sometime early next year on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. PC hardware requirements haven't surfaced yet and they probably won't until a few weeks or months before the launch.

The title is set in 2069 when mega-corporations called Syndicates have supplanted the world's governments and the masses have accepted a neural chip implant required for housing, banking, education, entertainment, jobs, medical and insurance. With such central power over the lives of consumers, the Syndicates are constantly vying for control of market dominance. "Business has become war," says EA's description.

Players will experience the story through EuroCorp's prototype agent, Miles Kilo, who embarks on a "brutal action adventure of corruption and revenge." Based on the details we've seen, you'll have a bio-tech augmentation chip called DART6 that lets you slow time and see through walls. Between the bio-mechanical elements and cyberpunk sci-fi style, the new entry sounds a lot like the recently released Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

In fact, some fans of the original are upset about the FPS reboot. As noted, the original title was an isometric tactical shooter that was more about strategy than headshots and critics are concerned the game won't remain true to its roots. One of EA's bullet points describes a "visceral FPS experience." Another mentions that the game's four-player online co-op will have nine missions that are "reimagined from the original Syndicate."

For whatever it's worth, the title is being developed by Starbreeze Studios, the folks behind The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena. Although those games weren't hugely popular, they were praised for their diverse gameplay, which incorporated aspects of stealth and meticulously-paced action. If that's any indication, we wouldn't worry about Syndicate being a mindless corridor shooter.

Lurker101 said:

Consider me as one of the original fans who aren't pleased about this. Syndicate was a great game and should be allowed to die with dignity.

treeski treeski said:

...you'll have a bio-tech augmentation chip called DART6...

Let me guess, it was developed using Google's new Dart language? heheheh

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Who knows, it might not be that bad. Although I agree, this game looks like an EA's Deus Ex, why am I not surprised?

I'm all for good gameplay and graphics; considering the developer, it will have the former, and considering that screenshot, it will also have the latter.

yRaz yRaz said:

Am I the only one getting tired of all these FPS games? They're all starting to blend in together. Some one needs to try something new and point the gaming industry in a new direction....or Volition needs to make Freespace 3.

Lurker101 said:

lawfer said:

and considering that screenshot, it will also have the latter.

No. It'll have console grade graphics.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Lurker101 said:

lawfer said:

and considering that screenshot, it will also have the latter.

No. It'll have console grade graphics.

And I presume you know this because...?

Classic Rock said:

"the title is being repackaged as a sci-fi first-person shooter and will land sometime early next year on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3"

My guess is that is how he will know...

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Classic Rock said:

My guess is that is how he will know...

The screenshots from the official website look pretty nice. I don't know, should I believe him, or the actual images? What a dilemma...

Also, there is no specific platform, its a multi-platform release. The fact that is also released on console does not equate to it being graphically similar. In fact, even mere console ports look better than their console counterparts, mainly because most PC versions allow setting configurations, and higher resolution set ups (as far as to how do they <i>play</i>, that's something else). So if the argument is that its graphics will be the reason why people won't get this game, then such argument is flawed.

Alternatively, its simply better to say because it's going to be an FPS remake of an RTT classic that you feel nostalgic about, that you won't get it; but as an FPS remake, there's really no reason why gamers shouldn't take a look, especially if the game aims to provide a satisfactory experience. Then again, to know if it does, it has to be released, so let's just wait until that day comes to formulate our own <i>objective</i> conclusions.

I'm more interested in playing the original game then playing the 1st person. the old one was the way to go. Just like shadowrun for the Sega Gensis..

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Classic Rock said:

My guess is that is how he will know...

Take a look at Bad Company 2. I have it for both the 360 (before I had a gaming PC) and now the PC. Playing BC2 on 1920x1200 on ultra high settings completely blows the xbox version out of the water. A game can look completely different on the consoles than on the PC.

RH00D RH00D said:

Lurker101 said:

lawfer said:

and considering that screenshot, it will also have the latter.

No. It'll have console grade graphics.

Like how BF3 has console grade graphics because it's going on console?

Oh, wait...

RH00D RH00D said:

Can't delete own posts anymore. Hmm.

if they are going to remake this game they should make the game look like Syndicate Wars not some FPS style bs, we allrdy have too many of them!!!

thewind said:

CO-OP! please make this coop... I just want more coop games... Dead Island is cool though...

Arris Arris said:

I can't help but feel this is the Hollywood way out... many FPS game engines available. Easier to repackage it as an FPS than to develop a modern isometric tactical shooter version of the original. Hell even sticking it into a GTA type sandbox world would be more in line with the series' origins. Unless this gets some amazing and truthful reviews I'm not that interested. Others have hit the nail on the head... sure we like our FPS games, but we don't want every single game that comes out to be of the genre.

Would like more coop games too

ramonsterns said:

RH00D said:

Lurker101 said:

lawfer said:

and considering that screenshot, it will also have the latter.

No. It'll have console grade graphics.

Like how BF3 has console grade graphics because it's going on console?

Oh, wait...

Like how BF3 will just be BFBC2.5 because EA is lazy and only looking to make a quick cash in?

I don't see how anyone who played the beta did not notice this.

EA doesn't make PC games anymore, just ports.

mlanteigne said:

by the way, BF3 was build on PC not on console so its not all the games that its console port...

Mood after reading the title: Trepidation

Mood after reading the article:

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

Mood after reading the title: Trepidation

Mood after reading the article:

Apparently suicidal since they never finished

Timonius Timonius said:

Ahhh....the good old days

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ramonsterns said:

RH00D said:

Lurker101 said:

lawfer said:

and considering that screenshot, it will also have the latter.

No. It'll have console grade graphics.

Like how BF3 has console grade graphics because it's going on console?

Oh, wait...

I don't see how anyone who played the beta did not notice this.

EA doesn't make PC games anymore, just ports.

I'm sorry but I call BS.

Battlefield 3 is graphically superior to pretty much any engine released right now. To call it BC 2.5 is misleading at best.

Also, there was not beta, it was PRE-ALPHA software, specifically made for server stress testing. The map Metro was to test small scale maps with 32 players and to test the Battlelog website; the actual beta will test bigger maps with full 64 players and Battlelog/Origin support.

It's clear you don't know what you are talking about, but please next time just do some research.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Go Lawfer, I completely agree with you.

My friend was able to play the pre-alpha (lucky B*ast*rd) and he said it properly feels like next-gen stuff. Hell we went all out and built himself a very expensive rig for it!

I am soo looking forward to this game!

ramonsterns said:

Pre-alpha, beta, who cares? The game has scripted destruction and the combat feels just like Bad Company 2. And BF3 wasn't made on PC, that's just bullshit EA feeds you.

This feels like Deus Ex copy while destroying any uniqueness the original game had.

OMG, Syndicate was my favourite game when it came out.

I still have a soft spot for it. I think it was one of the best games of its time.

I am interested to see what they will come up with this.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ramonsterns said:

What do you mean who cares? Sometimes it's better to admit being wrong, than make a fool out of yourself.

The difference between PRE-alpha (note: NOT alpha), and beta is usually overwhelming. The new destruction engine was drastically toned down for the pre-alpha, as Dice said many times in the Battlelog forums.

Even when the full game ships, destruction won't be mean every single piece of the game will be destructible. And the game does have scripted destruction, but that's only on the macro level. Scripted destruction has existed in all previous BF games, and pretty much every other game, except Red Faction. DICE never claimed otherwise, and you sound upset at the fact that, apparently, only you thought they implied that.

The combat is definitely not scripted. The only thing scripted--and first in an FPS--is the knife animation when you kill somebody. The first person experience is great, as it feels you have limbs. The recoil has been fine tuned, and it feels incredibly real. Not to mention other mechanics such as the beloved prone, suppressing fire, and the environment lighting which you can use to your advantage.

And if BF3 wasn't specifically built for the PC, then explain to me why does the console version look so noticeably inferior?

You seem to be mad at what is, well, a game. So take a deep breath and have a nice day.

zanic said:

Target: EA

Task: Persuade EA to reconsider FPS move

Weapon: The Persuadertron

ramonsterns said:

lawfer said:

Sometimes it's better to admit being wrong, than make a fool out of yourself.

Whatever you say, buddy. I already know who's going to be feeling foolish after paying $60 for an EA game, and it isn't going to be me.

blimp01 said:

ramonsterns said:

i think bf3 feels more like a MOH port, but worse. it runs horrible and it won't be fixed for the final release. It will be a huge console port

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ramonsterns said:

lawfer said:

Sometimes it's better to admit being wrong, than make a fool out of yourself.

I assume this is your way of saying "You're right." Oh, and I won't be paying $60, only fools who don't look hard enough pay such amount. I'm paying exactly $37.89.

And when temptation kills you, see you on the Battlefield.

Arris Arris said:

Target: EA

Task: Persuade EA to reconsider FPS move

Weapon: The Persuadertron

Haha, awesome. Forgot about that weapon. Using it to make a huge mob of followers.

Syndicate and Syndicate wars were very good games, loved them to bits. First person shooter version - interesting - if it recreates the ambiance of the original (i.e. brings back the familiar feeling of the original) then im in fo sho!

onlyjustincase said:

I enjoyed playing Syndicate and Syndicate Wars. I hope this is just not another FPS. I really enjoyed the Persuadertron and building up an armed army to take on anything.