Battlefield 3's Caspian Border map opens to PC beta testers

By on October 7, 2011, 5:13 PM

With just three days before the Battlefield 3 multiplayer beta comes to an end, DICE community manager Ian Tornay has announced that they're opening up the 64-player, vehicle-filled Caspian Border map over the weekend to do some load testing. Previously, the map was available only as part of a private beta on password protected servers.

Also see: Battlefield 3 Beta GPU & CPU Performance Test

The test will be for PC gamers only as DICE is specifically testing 64-player server configurations -- console versions of Battlefield 3 will support only 24 simultaneous players. The developer also dropped a reminder that Battlefield 3 is still in beta, and as such users may experience crashes, network instability and outages. DICE will take the opportunity to fine tune its servers and says that your experience with the beta is not necessarily indicative of the final product.

In related news, AMD has rolled out a second Catalyst 11.10 preview driver just in time for the weekend. The latest release improves Battlefield 3 performance for Radeon HD 6000 and HD 5000 series cards in standard and CrossFire configurations with or without anti-Aliasing enabled. It also improves performance in Rage and fixes a few errors in the game, including a flickering issue and intermittent crashing when loading levels.

The Catalyst 11.10 v2 driver is available here for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. The full Battlefield 3 game is scheduled for an October 25 launch in the U.S. and October 28 across Europe.




User Comments: 37

Got something to say? Post a comment
ikesmasher said:

How bout us xbox users. Metro...is not exactly the best map, especially to give people a taste of your game.

Guest said:

amazing!?

(warning i'm about to post extreme hate rant)

way to make the console owners not feel left out which by the way are what make up most of your buyers

**** this!

(still buying the game though)

Guest said:

^ u stupid boiiiii?

95% of bf3 pre orders are on pc and not consoles

dont know what ur smoking but im very happy they are not throwing caspian border out for consoles, AND i can almost garantee you that its not even going to come to consoles as EA said consoles only get 32 player maps and caspian border is 64 players

so sit down, or buy a pc

ikesmasher said:

^you stupid fanboiiiiii?

It doesnt matter, still could have given a better map to console users.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Extreme hate rant? Have you read all of the crap that Techspot has been posting about how the consoles are getting the post-launch tournaments and PC users are getting shat on? I think it is about time that the PC gamers get to have something exclusive for themselves.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Battlefield is and should be PC only, I honestly wish console got nothing! Imagine what BF3 would look like not held back by 360! ~Proud PC fanboiiiiiiiiii Can't wait to try this map!

Guest said:

So long as they fix the ***-load of bugs the beta has it'll be ok. But I get the feeling that all the console maps are going to be either smaller infantry based stuff that CoD does better or giant open vehicle maps that you can't find anyone on. Like BC2 all over again.

treetops treetops said:

can't seem to find the filter out guest comment feature little help?

venomblade said:

The servers lag pretty bad. I have low ping, but I'm "rubber banding"...walking forward then getting pulled back in like 3 second intervals.

ikesmasher said:

I honestly am fine with PC getting something exclusive. I really don't care, not a fanboi of either. I was simply stating that xbox should get a better beta map because metro obviously is not the best choice.

Guest said:

I use PS3 and PC for games, however, any ***** can tell you that PC's are at the forefront of technology. To build anything around an inferior product is just plain stupid, and aimed at only one common denominator, ignorence. The younger gaming generation will except much less in terms of quality gameplay and graphic innovation, hence the unfortunate mass production of crap these days.

Granted, as the numbers speak louder than anyones opinion, consoles make developers and publishers more money. And this is afterall mostly the point, my frustration is, that I KNOW as a PC gamer in the begginings, along with other original pc gamers, it is I who have supported these dev's from the start. And games like Battlefied that originated on PC should indeed ALWAYS be built around the PC. Not only to gain the benefits of technoloy, but as a reward for the people who aloud your company to actually continue making games! Not the ignorant shits that will pay $100 or more of their parents money just so they can intermitt there jerking off!

Now if somebody could have a word with ID software, we may again be pleasured with some genuinly brilliant PC games as DICE, in my opinion, are bringing to the table now. Thankyou for being loyal to your loyal fans. It will benefit everyone, not just PC users!

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

While I'm happy that they finally brought Caspian back for testing, all servers since this morning have been getting pounded with a rubber band like lag which makes it extremely difficult to play. I get that they are stress testing the servers, but man wish I could actually play on them .

Guest said:

All of you need to calm down. First off, the PC is the lead platform which means that the consoles come second with this type of thing, even though they got a little greedy with the PS3 dlc deal. Secondly if any of you played the BC2 beta you'd know that even though it had a T-90 and an Apache, it still got old after the 300th time.

So calm down, the game will be out soon enough so you can take your 12 on 12 combat while we have our 32 on 32. If you don't want to be left out then get a decent job, save some money, and spend it on a decent 900-1100 dollar system.

Guest said:

I think it's fair to be honest. Consoles have access to the tournament, PS3 are getting DLC early, only fair the PC get something exclusive too even if it's just an extra beta map. They have to do testing for max players on the PC cause it's the mode that's likely going to cause the biggest problems with the server.

Guest said:

You guys do realise that Ps3 and Xbox are getting Caspian Border aswell as all the other maps pc gets they are just a bit smaller the pc gets 64 player caspian while ps3/box gets it as 24 or 34 players. Hence they are both getting all the same maps only advantage is that ps3 gets the dlc 'Back to kankard' almoust right away while others will have to wait >,>

Besaids you people need to understand that shooter games are always ment for PC, the concole versions are made for those who cant afford to update pc drivers to run modern games. Shooter games envole over pc, why? Simply cos majority plays pc so ofc they satisfy the pc gamers by giving them wide 64 player maps. Should they give those maps for concoles they would have around 3-4 maps full and then rest would miss players thats why concoles get maps 50% smaller than the pc version of the map as well as max player cap from 24 to 34. This way concole players get to be happy aswell you need to realise that concole controls for Jets,Helis,Tanks,Trucks,Jeeps etc are all messed up and not as perfect as pc can offer. And thats why concole also gets 50% less vehicles there was a teaser for one larger map for ps3 they had 2 tanks 2 Anti aircraft tanks 1 jeep 1 heli for that map while same map teaser for pc had 4 tanks 4 anti 2 jeeps 4 helis why? Cos pc has more players thus more **** to drive and do.

You all just need to accept the fact that shooter games are ment for pc.

Guest said:

like #14 poster has said, PC will be the lead platform DICE/EA will cater to in respect to dlc or other goodies prior to ps3 or xbox. I, being a ps3 user, am content with whatever DICE/EA puts out for us. Kudos to PC users for getting to be lead platform.....I'm enjoying the beta so far and anxiously await the release of the actual game. Great game and blows away anything CoD has put out, in respect to graphics and gameplay.

Guest said:

Poor console-port. If BF was purely made for PC, would be just perfect nowadays. Instead, we get all the crap due to console limitations and their stupid gameplay.

Anyway, the game won't come out perfect. It's gonna have a ton of bugs. Until the end of the year, if it will be 75% optimised, I'll be happy.

Last but not least, Frostbite engine certainly has fundamentally deep problems. Cannot create a game without its terrible lag. BF3 is even worse than BFBC2 in this case. BF3 has even inherit the same bugs BFBC2 currently STILL HAS, like aiming-cross disappearing or when you kill sometimes, the body pops 30 meters away... It's like a BC3 much improved, though. There's isn't sequel that we've seen so much improvement.

ikesmasher said:

Guest said:

You guys do realise that Ps3 and Xbox are getting Caspian Border aswell as all the other maps pc gets they are just a bit smaller the pc gets 64 player caspian while ps3/box gets it as 24 or 34 players. Hence they are both getting all the same maps only advantage is that ps3 gets the dlc 'Back to kankard' almoust right away while others will have to wait >,>

Besaids you people need to understand that shooter games are always ment for PC, the concole versions are made for those who cant afford to update pc drivers to run modern games. Shooter games envole over pc, why? Simply cos majority plays pc so ofc they satisfy the pc gamers by giving them wide 64 player maps. Should they give those maps for concoles they would have around 3-4 maps full and then rest would miss players thats why concoles get maps 50% smaller than the pc version of the map as well as max player cap from 24 to 34. This way concole players get to be happy aswell you need to realise that concole controls for Jets,Helis,Tanks,Trucks,Jeeps etc are all messed up and not as perfect as pc can offer. And thats why concole also gets 50% less vehicles there was a teaser for one larger map for ps3 they had 2 tanks 2 Anti aircraft tanks 1 jeep 1 heli for that map while same map teaser for pc had 4 tanks 4 anti 2 jeeps 4 helis why? Cos pc has more players thus more **** to drive and do.

You all just need to accept the fact that shooter games are ment for pc.

the flaws in the post are so obvious. To start, if halo kicked off the FPS genre, why was it originally on xbox? shooter games first kicked off on consoles. Not saying they don't work better for PCs, but seriously.

Guest said:

PC gaming is much better

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

xclusiveitalian said:

Battlefield is and should be PC only, I honestly wish console got nothing! Imagine what BF3 would look like not held back by 360! ~Proud PC fanboiiiiiiiiii Can't wait to try this map!

BF3 was developed on the pc and then ported to consoles not the other way around so you are seeing what it really should look like if you play on PC.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ikesmasher said:

Guest said:

You guys do realise that Ps3 and Xbox are getting Caspian Border aswell as all the other maps pc gets they are just a bit smaller the pc gets 64 player caspian while ps3/box gets it as 24 or 34 players. Hence they are both getting all the same maps only advantage is that ps3 gets the dlc 'Back to kankard' almoust right away while others will have to wait >,>

Besaids you people need to understand that shooter games are always ment for PC, the concole versions are made for those who cant afford to update pc drivers to run modern games. Shooter games envole over pc, why? Simply cos majority plays pc so ofc they satisfy the pc gamers by giving them wide 64 player maps. Should they give those maps for concoles they would have around 3-4 maps full and then rest would miss players thats why concoles get maps 50% smaller than the pc version of the map as well as max player cap from 24 to 34. This way concole players get to be happy aswell you need to realise that concole controls for Jets,Helis,Tanks,Trucks,Jeeps etc are all messed up and not as perfect as pc can offer. And thats why concole also gets 50% less vehicles there was a teaser for one larger map for ps3 they had 2 tanks 2 Anti aircraft tanks 1 jeep 1 heli for that map while same map teaser for pc had 4 tanks 4 anti 2 jeeps 4 helis why? Cos pc has more players thus more **** to drive and do.

You all just need to accept the fact that shooter games are ment for pc.

the flaws in the post are so obvious. To start, if halo kicked off the FPS genre, why was it originally on xbox? shooter games first kicked off on consoles. Not saying they don't work better for PCs, but seriously.

wtf are you smoking you ***** FPS games came out on PC ever heard of quake, duke nukem, castle wolfenstien serious sam and many many more that predate shitty halo game that came out in 2001?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"shooter games first kicked off on consoles."

Wrong. Shooter games started on the earliest of computers in the 1970's and built up their following via games like Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, Half-Life, etc. The first military (non sci-fi) shooter that really kicked off the genre is Battlefield 1942 which was a PC exclusive.

ikesmasher said:

klepto12 said:

ikesmasher said:

Guest said:

You guys do realise that Ps3 and Xbox are getting Caspian Border aswell as all the other maps pc gets they are just a bit smaller the pc gets 64 player caspian while ps3/box gets it as 24 or 34 players. Hence they are both getting all the same maps only advantage is that ps3 gets the dlc 'Back to kankard' almoust right away while others will have to wait >,>

Besaids you people need to understand that shooter games are always ment for PC, the concole versions are made for those who cant afford to update pc drivers to run modern games. Shooter games envole over pc, why? Simply cos majority plays pc so ofc they satisfy the pc gamers by giving them wide 64 player maps. Should they give those maps for concoles they would have around 3-4 maps full and then rest would miss players thats why concoles get maps 50% smaller than the pc version of the map as well as max player cap from 24 to 34. This way concole players get to be happy aswell you need to realise that concole controls for Jets,Helis,Tanks,Trucks,Jeeps etc are all messed up and not as perfect as pc can offer. And thats why concole also gets 50% less vehicles there was a teaser for one larger map for ps3 they had 2 tanks 2 Anti aircraft tanks 1 jeep 1 heli for that map while same map teaser for pc had 4 tanks 4 anti 2 jeeps 4 helis why? Cos pc has more players thus more **** to drive and do.

You all just need to accept the fact that shooter games are ment for pc.

the flaws in the post are so obvious. To start, if halo kicked off the FPS genre, why was it originally on xbox? shooter games first kicked off on consoles. Not saying they don't work better for PCs, but seriously.

wtf are you smoking you ***** FPS games came out on PC ever heard of quake, duke nukem, castle wolfenstien serious sam and many many more that predate shitty halo game that came out in 2001?

And the amount of FPS players nearly tripled with halo. rage more?

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And the amount of FPS players nearly tripled with halo. rage more?

ummmm not really console games suck the first halo did not start **** maybe halo 2 but who cares consoles sucks for fps online play especially since they are so handicapped and have aim assist lol

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

ikesmasher said:

klepto12 said:

ikesmasher said:

Guest said:

You guys do realise that Ps3 and Xbox are getting Caspian Border aswell as all the other maps pc gets they are just a bit smaller the pc gets 64 player caspian while ps3/box gets it as 24 or 34 players. Hence they are both getting all the same maps only advantage is that ps3 gets the dlc 'Back to kankard' almoust right away while others will have to wait >,>

Besaids you people need to understand that shooter games are always ment for PC, the concole versions are made for those who cant afford to update pc drivers to run modern games. Shooter games envole over pc, why? Simply cos majority plays pc so ofc they satisfy the pc gamers by giving them wide 64 player maps. Should they give those maps for concoles they would have around 3-4 maps full and then rest would miss players thats why concoles get maps 50% smaller than the pc version of the map as well as max player cap from 24 to 34. This way concole players get to be happy aswell you need to realise that concole controls for Jets,Helis,Tanks,Trucks,Jeeps etc are all messed up and not as perfect as pc can offer. And thats why concole also gets 50% less vehicles there was a teaser for one larger map for ps3 they had 2 tanks 2 Anti aircraft tanks 1 jeep 1 heli for that map while same map teaser for pc had 4 tanks 4 anti 2 jeeps 4 helis why? Cos pc has more players thus more **** to drive and do.

You all just need to accept the fact that shooter games are ment for pc.

the flaws in the post are so obvious. To start, if halo kicked off the FPS genre, why was it originally on xbox? shooter games first kicked off on consoles. Not saying they don't work better for PCs, but seriously.

wtf are you smoking you ***** FPS games came out on PC ever heard of quake, duke nukem, castle wolfenstien serious sam and many many more that predate shitty halo game that came out in 2001?

And the amount of FPS players nearly tripled with halo. rage more?

No, they tripled in turms of FPS's being churned out for Consoles. PC Exclusive FPS's were coming out at the same rate.

All Halo did was make FPS popular on the Console.

Guest said:

"And the amount of FPS players nearly tripled with halo. rage more?"

Tripled the number of consoletard FPS players. Halo was awful to people who have actually played a PC FPS before, but new and exciting to the console derps that never have.

treetops treetops said:

bleh im not a fan of fps games i played the beta for 20 minutes and got bored, I like to run to action n fight, being shot in the back by campers gets old quick, maybe ill check out the 120 player maps

ikesmasher said:

I give up. the amount of bias in your posts is outstanding.

Although I have to agree that the amount of bullet magnetism/aim assist makes the games stupidly easy (at least for me) which invites a larger group of not exactly mature players. Actually, nearly everyone else that plays xbox anymore is...nevermind. But hopefully SOMEONE sees my original point.

Guest said:

i am PC and Xbox gamer so i get all the exclusive stuff lol and 's still okay but unless you don't unlock stuff for the vehicles it's not fun

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I give up. the amount of bias in your posts is outstanding.

Although I have to agree that the amount of bullet magnetism/aim assist makes the games stupidly easy (at least for me) which invites a larger group of not exactly mature players. Actually, nearly everyone else that plays xbox anymore is...nevermind. But hopefully SOMEONE sees my original point.

The whole point is that you didnt know what you were talking about.

ikesmasher said:

klepto12 said:

I give up. the amount of bias in your posts is outstanding.

Although I have to agree that the amount of bullet magnetism/aim assist makes the games stupidly easy (at least for me) which invites a larger group of not exactly mature players. Actually, nearly everyone else that plays xbox anymore is...nevermind. But hopefully SOMEONE sees my original point.

The whole point is that you didnt know what you were talking about.

The whole point is that you are simply saying that because you are uneducated AND you are extremely biased toward consoles, so you simply wish to call me an ***** instead of realize that you are wrong.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

i have owned almost every console that has come out and i still prefer fps on the PC the fact of the matter is that HALO did not do **** for anything FPS games came out in early 90s halo didnt start anything in which case you are wrong like i said. So next time you post a comment make sure it is fact before you post it thanks. thanks for trolling sir now please leave!!!! and i understand what you meant but to be completely honest the game that started it for consoles was 007: Goldeneye for N64 which came out in 1997 four years prior to Halo.

Emexrulsier said:

@Guest tbh current consoles are now many many years old BF3 the console version is pushing it to its limits. They have't half the map loads because fewer ppl would play certain maps its simply because the consoles can't handle it. They have already had to dumb down the graphics to cope. Also remember very few console games are true "HD" (by HD I mean 1920x1080) the vast majority as games are upscalled. On the other hand PC gamers have been doing "HD" since before ppl refered to it as "HD" it was simply called "HI Res"

PCS were playing FPS style games before the massive console war debate. As it stands at the moment the PC simply prevails not going into a big console vs pc war but anything who things a 10 yr old console is faster etc than a 10 day old pc is a complete retard

AlanCasseb said:

Came here looking for comments on the map, since i was not able to play this weekend, but got this crappy fight. This PC x Console fps gameplay fight is getting so old for something so damn obvious.

Guest said:

Here is the problem with these fueds. People make outrageous claims without substantiating them. If you are to make a "factual" call, then ellaborate with some evidence. At least then if we are to continue these debates over who did what fist/better/when then we can make them more interesting and definatly more intelligent.

No bias, however, loyal pc fans are most likely to do this as their experience weighs heavier than console only players. And most genres were indeed "created" on PC. Thats not to say that games are constantly being revolutionised on both platforms. And for this we all benefit, Halo was, in my opinion as an old-school pc user, a great game. It actually gave players one of the best team based combat experiences i have seen up until that point. Though it far from created the genre,

We should all enjoy and unite in our gaming experiences, not bicker and fued in what seperates us, but rather attempt to work together in a united effort towards gearing the developers into making what we want, not what is just socially "acceptable" on a mass scale. I love playing on my pc and my PS3. They both offer different experiences and allow a broader scope of genres. And as long as games are made for gamers and not "the stock market" I will continue to support the dev's.

cheers for taking the time to read...

Guest said:

Lol wow im just happy iz can even live in a world with this game =D

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.