TechSpot's Most Anticipated PC Games of 2012

By on February 1, 2012, 12:53 AM

Like a rollercoaster, 2011 was full of transient highs and enduring lows -- mostly the latter for PC gamers. The year began with a promising lineup, but title after title fell flat. Some were incredibly buggy, others had console-esque interfaces and far too many shipped without DirectX 11 support. We'll spare you of a list because you surely recall their names, but for reference, even the excellent and well deserving game of the year, Skyrim, somehow fits in all of the above.

Determined to redeem themselves, developers have readied yet another tantalizing roster. In fact, many of last year's most anticipated titles have spilled over into 2012, including Diablo III, Guild Wars 2, Mass Effect 3 and Max Payne 3. As usual, we've assembled a list of the hottest PC games expected to hit shelves over the next 12 months. Titles are sorted alphabetically as most of the release dates aren't set in stone.

Read the complete guide.

yRaz yRaz said:

Tribes, Borderlands 2, Counter strike, Diablo III...

If I spend as much time playing the new tribes as the original I may not pick up any of the following three.

nik11105 said:

Lara Croft just looks amazing!

Any word on Fallout 4 ?

ramonsterns said:

Too bad Tribes is currently pay-to-win or grind for a month to get a decent class.

You have to be lucky not to land on a server where all the high levels are stacking.

chaboi390 said:

Hey wait a minute. what about Aliens Colonial Marines?

Boring list.

2012 is not going to be as good as 2010 and 2011 were.

And do not expect much from the coming years as people will buy less and play less as well.

Discover the world outside and get a life!

Lurker101 said:

Any word on Fallout 4 ?

Not due till 2013

As long as D3 still comes out were all good,

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Haha! I lol'ed at the Half Life2: Episode 3 Listing.

I really want this game to come out, But even i know its not going to happen this year

Overall though I'm only really looking forward to Mass Effect 3, I really hope the PC version is good though, I really enjoyed ME1 & 2, I hope by including gimmicky stuff for the Kinnect they haven't ruined the gameplay for the PC.

I may invest in StarCraft II this year as well, appart from that, Looks like pretty bad year to me

Guild Wars 2 is not instance based, it's an open world MMO.

Also, of all the radical innovations they are putting in, you only thought to mention that there's a higher level cap?

By far the most impressive feature is that there are no traditional quests. Everything you do in the world is dynamic.

You find dynamic events by exploring, you take part in it - you either fail or succeed, which pushes the event onto the next stage.

Centaurs attacking village -> drive them off -> attack base in forest -> defeat warband leader in centaur settlement -> village is safe, get karma and access to traders and various other goodies.

Karma is the reward for quests which can be redeemed practically anywhere around the world.

Seriously, I hope ArenaNet shout at you for not bothering to do 10 seconds of research before posting an article. I'm sure there are similar mistakes about the other games in the list.

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Kingdoms of Amalur, Alan Wake and Diablo III are day one purchases on my list. Besides that, I'm anxiously waiting for Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. And, of course, hoping for the pc version of Dark Souls to really come up.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Good Article.

For me it is:

Mass Effect 3, GTA V, Counter Strike Global Offensive, DOTA2, Somewhat Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3... oh and no Pandas are not in my top 10 list loool xD

Not much to look forward to in 2012, guess only Bioshock, and Fallout 4 is supposed to be in San Francisco supposedly due late 2012.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Boring list.

2012 is not going to be as good as 2010 and 2011 were.

Discover the world outside and get a life!

That's your opinion but there are good games coming out, 2011 was rather meh although BF3 and *cough* MW3 as well as SWTOR pulled it up...

Article says Guild Wars 2 is Instance-based MMORPG???

That's misinformation! Guild Wars 2 will be open world like WoW with some instances like dungeons and personal story missions, but the world design in general is open.

And yes, this is my choice for the most anticipated

insect said:

You can get intro the Tribes Beta right now through a number of outlets, although "friending" them on Facebook seems to be the easiest way. Tribes seems true to T1 (more so than T2), but with limitations on loudouts (for example, each "class" can only have 2 weapons... they are auto-assigned based upon what Hi-Rez wanted). Like a previous post... you either pay or grind... and grinding sucks way too much when the guy who paid $100 is sniping you all the way across the map with his uber-"perked" class as soon as you spawn (sniper rifle not based on energy = FTL).

In addition, for that reason alone, Leagues are not likely form so team-play with matches/ladders are not likely to form or survive as they did in the old days leading me to have already stopped playing after about 2-weeks.

All I can say is PLANETSIDE 2 !!!! Ahhhhhh yeeeaaaahhhh!!!! Get your MMO kicks and the fun of a real true FPS and some awesome looking graphics to go along with.

Scshadow said:

My gaming portfolio isn't very extensive or diverse. I'm not looking forward to a single one of those games. I'd like to try something new but as an obsessive completionist/perfectionist, I'm scared of most games that come out these days.

treetops treetops said:

Gameplay videos>all, I dont judge games based off a cinematic. Other games not listed.

Firefall

Torchlight 2

that one game where u can be the illuminati

PLanetside 2

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I've fixed the Guild Wars 2 genre now, thanks for all your amazing feedback. Hope you've enjoyed the article.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My most anticipated games have to be Hitman: Absolution and Thief 4. I think you guys should add Assassin's Creed III to the list; it's not going to be another spin-off, but a major new release.

treeski treeski said:

Half-Life 2:E3, Guild Wars 2, Counterstrike and maybe Tribes... and I'm set for the year.

yRaz yRaz said:

insect said:

While you make a good point, I have every intention of paying for the game. If I enjoy the game I'll put $50 into, no more though. That's how people have to look at free to play games. Only put as much money into them as you are willing to spend on a new release title. Once you look at it that way it doesn't seem so bad. Maybe that's me just defending myself but I've enjoyed a lot of FTP games that way usually spending no more than $20.

ramonsterns said:

artix said:

as well as SWTOR pulled it up...

I'm sorry SWTOR pulled what up?

If anything it pulled 2011 down to the bottom of the sea, along with it's subscribers.

Diablo 3 looks bad. I'm more anxious for Path Of Exile and Grim Dawn. I'm not certain about Torchlight 2 though, it might be good.

Path Of Exile > Grim Dawn > Diablo 3 > Torchlight 2

Re: MechWarrior Online

Just a heads up, the original plan wasn't curbed due to licensing agreements, it was due to the fact that MS (the IP owner) refused to allow a port for the PS3 so every publisher they approached ultimately turned them down. Its unfortunate because the devs said that the response to the 2009 video was "overwhelmingly" positive. Far more than they expected.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

Why are people excited about Alan Wake?

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Re: MechWarrior Online

You're right that sounds nothing like a licensing disagreement

tonylukac said:

I'll ask again. Any educational games? Portal was supposed to be, but it does no more than teach you how to play games.

Half of those are just throw-away games, or consol ports. But where is PlanetSide2, or ArcheAge ..?

Those 2^ are more anticipated ovr Max Pain, or Tombraider for the PC..

Thanks for this great list. I know "The Last of Us" may end up being released in 2013, but some folks are saying its Playstation's "last hurrah" and potentially one the coolest games...ever. It think this is something to hope for for 2012.

I read an interview with one of the main Max Payne developers, maybe the team leader. He went on about how important it was to keep painkillers in the game as health because they are so critical to preserving the Max Payne experience. Then why set it in Brazil? That is not Max Payne AT ALL to me - trying to cash in on those FPS's and their jungle setting, huh? Who thought of this? I might not even buy it.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Thief 4. The first two are absolute classics with Thief 3 having its moments. Hopefully 4 will be better than 3 but I fear a console port in the making.

Where's Jagged Alliance: Back in Action ?

JA franchise fans have been waiting for another JA game for far too long, it's been almost like Duken Nukem. Games were scheduled and cancelled multiple times by different publishers.

Uh...what about Torchlight II?

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Looking forward to Mass Effect 3 but I don't see Arma 3 anywhere on the list. You guys don't like hardcore military simulations anymore ?

I can't believe Assassin's Creed 3 didn't make the cut for you.

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

Diablo III and Guildwars 2.

DEFINITELY NOT the new wow expansion. They definitely need to recall that before they lose over half of the current playerbase.

IF anything takes down wow, that expansion is the reason. Otherwise, I cannot see a reason it would fall. Just like the only reason that Facebook would crumble is if they tried to alter too much too quickly and it turns out as shit.

1. Path Of Exile

2. Grim Dawn

3. Counter Strike: Global Offensive

^ My top 3 games I'm waiting for this year.

MMORPG genre is dead for me, so is first person shooters. I also have less time in general, but I am still looking forward to one upcoming gem. My top three goes...

1. Mechwarrior Online!

2. Mechwarrior Online!

3. Mechwarrior Online!

Hope I'm not setting myself up for a huge dissapointment... I am a Mechwarrior from way back!

I was initially very skeptical after it changed to a free to play game but their design model is sounding promising from the dev interviews.

Ya, is Torchlight 2 chopped-liver now? If you're going to list Diablo 3, you can't exclude the game that's being released by Diablo 1/2's creators...

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

1. Path Of Exile

2. Grim Dawn

3. Counter Strike: Global Offensive

^ My top 3 games I'm waiting for this year.

I totally forgot about Grim Dawn. The graphics look really good and I hope they can deliver a polished product. look forward to it.

Marnomancer Marnomancer said:

Personally, I'm more starved for Halo 4.