Microsoft reimagined logo for Windows 8 is official

By on February 17, 2012, 4:30 PM

Microsoft has revealed a redesigned logo for Windows 8 in a recent post on the company’s official Windows team blog. Redmond’s new operating system logo borrows heavily from the original Windows logo that was introduced alongside Windows 1.0 in 1985. Earlier this week we had pointed out the Windows logo was getting a Metro makeover, but the software giant just made it official today.

Sam Moreau, Principal Director of User Experience for Windows, notes that in addition to a complete reimagination of the Windows operating system, the team wanted to revise the existing Windows OS logo. Microsoft hired renowned design firm Pentagram to help with the project and it was during an early meeting with the firm that executives were presented with a very basic question.

Paula Scher from Pentagram asked the team, “your name is Windows. Why are you a flag?”

Moreau feels that users can trace the evolution of the Windows logo in parallel with advancements in computer technology used to create them. Windows logo rendering became more detailed with each major release. As such, the current generation eventually morphed into a flying or waving flag rather than the window it originally started life as.

With Windows 8, the company wanted to go back to the basics to better reflect the Metro style design principles. The new logo is indeed more window-like than flag-like, using simple lines and a straightforward concept that Microsoft describes as being “Authentically Digital.” The design itself is based on the International Typographic Style, also called the Swiss Style, which was developed in the ‘50s to emphasize cleanliness, objectivity and readability.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Don't like it. Windows98 was decent, XP not bad and Windows 7 (W7 Proffesional) was the best imho.... This one just does not look right :S

This logo needs to change color and rotate itself 90 degrees; still looks like a flag. Look at the 89 logo.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Like someone said in the older story on TS about this, if you just put the colors in it it looks fine.

Link: [link]

The looks like a case of "over think".

Stay with WIN 7 logo.;

Windows 1 logo is far better from that. My proposal http://i44.tinypic.com/ra6h3m.jpg

[image link]

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I always thought they had a flag because it was more creative than just windows ^.^

taimuraly taimuraly said:

I think it needs the red, green, blue and yellow back. Those colours have become part of the Microsoft Windows brand and without them it the new logo looks soulless.

- my suggestion made using Microsoft PowerPoint

gamerex said:

It's.. It's a trapezoid. Bisected into quarters. It actually looks a little ecclesiastical.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

Can't stand the logo, it is even "facing the wrong way" [link] or it will never face you. I know I'm being very critical but these brands should bring emotions to the viewer, like the Nike swoosh, this Windows logo feels very impersonal.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

taimuraly said:

- my suggestion made using Microsoft PowerPoint

QFT

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Looks like those stupid blocks for icons on windows phones

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I liked the Vista one best - nice and tidy and with colors. The Windows 8 one looks like a logo you'd see for a dentist office. :p

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Needs some more color to it! Time to bring back Billy Boy as the VP that running it now only going for the lighter shades of blue!

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

I could have designed one better than that! Bland and boring.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Not a fan, very dull especially considering the past logos. Think they could've done a much better job.

Chazz said:

SNGX1275 said:

Link: [link]

That logo would be perfect.

Mindwraith said:

i can't believe some people actually care about this. mankind, i am disappoint -_-

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

It was a flag? I thought they were windows LOL

It looks like Sweden and Greece's flags got jiggy with it, like a Will Smith song...

... not original. I liked their first icon better.

-RC

killeriii said:

I liked the Windows 2000 logo myself.

Was my most memorable OS too. (mmmmm, dual proc p3's....

It looks like a flag if you want to see it like a flag. True, it does not look like a window either but I suppose the marketing guys just need to prove they worth the money by actually doing something.

Just thinking what real improvement a new logo can do to a operating system. Maybe fool you to buy it cause you will think it's something brand new ? ;)

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Win7's was the most elegant amongst all these IMO, although the new proposed logo doesn't look as 'charming', but it will look alright provided they add the colors.

QuaZulu QuaZulu said:

New Windows logo = "New" Coke

Did they pay the designer yet? Looks like the work of 3yrs old kid.

"Microsoft hired renowned design firm Pentagram to help with the project"

This is the usual pile of dung in big corporations. They have to hire a whole company for a simple logo project that would take 5 minutes for any ordinary person to make. Not forgetting that they have to write a pile of crap like description and design specification for this 'great' design. The irony in what is referred to as 'professionalism', more like a pile of bull@*!t and unnecessary expense...

MrAnderson said:

So what, they change their logo... It's still a window and not a bird of pray.

People are talking about it... they win. Windows is still in the minds of everyone who has heard the news. Weather you hate it or not, or even are indifferent... it is in your head.

Hmm..maybe they're predicting the future, the logo consists of four blue screens...think about It

Win XP good,Win vista turd,Win 7 good, Win 8???

I'm just saying not a good Image In my mind.

What an ugly logo design like the Windows Phone (WP) itself. When you place Android or iOS phone next to WP you get an impression that WP is an ancient & inferior thing. I think Microsoft is losing & stepping down to the competition.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

- my suggestion made using Microsoft PowerPoint

It was already done in my link, and with colors that look more 'microsofty'. Here it is again. [link]

I posted that in post #4

ChinoNYC said:

Somebody please tell me that I'm just living a horrific nightmare with this logo. WTF is this?? A parallelogram that looks more mathematical than the original Windows 1 logo itself.

Justgivemeaname said:

They had to hire a design firm to draw a box. I don't really know if they were just too lazy to draw it themselves or if a plain blue box segmented into four was more creative than anything Microsoft could think of themselves. If it is more creative, I don't want to see the other options.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

A logo is just a logo, it doesn't bother me either way. What matters is if Windows 8 delivers the goods (and it manages to do so in both software and hardware fronts) once its out.

Sweet, a terrible logo to go with a terrible OS.... I cant stand having a phone os on my computer. And for anyone with objections they clearly didn't try replacing their desktop os with 8.

emmzo said:

Why does suddenly M$ want to go back to the basics, unless admitting anything they did so far with Windows was a mistake. And of course it wasn't, Xp was great, they should have built on that, a light, fast, reliable OS, that's all we, the users want, not reinventing the ... square.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I don't know, like many others have said above, you will likely be able to turn all that Metro stuff off. The only real stuff that will make it from phone -> desktop are the power saving stuffs, didn't seem too bad to me.

Its the trend now. Macs are dropping the 'Mac' part of Mac OS X with Mountain Lion, and ML is bringing in a lot more stuff from iOS.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

A great logo..... For Windows Basic...How about Premium and Professional? Oh it's the same for all...ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

They hired a design firm for that crap?

At least they probably used MS Paint to make it

yorro said:

They could have done better if they held it out as a contest with a good description. The winner gets paid and immortalized.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

A 3 year old probably could (and did) design that.

the multi-color windows logo has been there for decades, why change it? I think it helps with the brand recognition. kinda how everything for the mac is " i " this and " i " that. You can go into any store and it has the ' windows 7 compatible ' sticker on it, and really they could just use the flag, but not now. atleast they didnt try to go OS with it, and have some goofy face watching you.

ElShotte ElShotte said:

Wow. Seriously? How many times has the "Apple" logo been redesigned? What about the OS X logo? That's the best they could come up with? Seriously? Wow.

Make it Transparent, then Put the orange, green, blue and yellow then there you go.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

i could design a better logo in 5min...

Kraemepoo said:

Were the windows facing the wrong way when they snapped the photo?

Nothing in the budget for a second photoshoot?

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

The guy that helps run a website is a minimalist apparently, as long as all the goods are there!

Well thats it im not getting windows 8, this logo shenanigans has gone to far! lol jks

boring,boring,boring is that all you can come up with,one can only hope windoze 8 has something better to offer because it would seem the microsoft graphic team are really one year olds very pathetic effort & utter dribble.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Nah, not impressed with that. Color would be a lot better. But then i suppose logos don't really matter if the OS itself is amazing.

Whether it will be worth its money though is another question.

I think the logo should have featured the four colored squares/rectangles, as in the previous logos. That would have made it more synonymous with the Windows brand IMO...

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Seeing this story has 49 comments I feel almost inclined to post something just to join in on the fun.

I agree its rubbish and needs color, but its not the be all and end all for microsoft, i'm sure we'll all be fine even if the logo doesn't change by the time they go to release it