Logitech G600 Gaming Mouse features 20 MMO-tuned buttons

By on June 14, 2012, 12:30 PM

Logitech has started taking pre-orders for their G600 MMO Gaming Mouse. The new pointer includes a mind-boggling 20 physical buttons which can be fully programmed to accomplish any task – and that isn’t even including the G-Shift function which allows gamers to bind two commands to a single button much like the Shift key on a keyboard.

The majority of buttons are located on the left side of the mouse and are designed to be pressed with your thumb, much like the Razer Naga. Here you will find a bank of 12 programmable G-buttons in two sets of six. If you look closely you can see how the buttons on the two forward rows and the two back rows are angled slightly to create a concave effect. This allows quick and easy no-look navigation, according to Logitech.

On top are standard left and right click buttons, an additional click button on the far right, two more G-buttons that control DPI and profile switching and a scroll wheel that tilts and is clickable.

Specification-wise, the G600 is capable of resolutions ranging from 50 DPI up to 8,200 DPI and features a USB report rate of up to 1000 reports per second. On-board memory can store up to three different profiles which can be used on any compatible computer without the need for drivers.

The 6.5-foot USB cable is wrapped in cloth for extra durability and a “premium” look while low-friction feet ensure a smooth ride across your mousing surface. The thumb panel includes a lighting system that is fully customizable with over 16 million color combinations.

Logitech’s G600 MMO Gaming Mouse is priced at $79.99 and should begin shipping in early July.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Cool idea, but I can only seeing working well for people who put their whole palm on their mouse. If you just use your finger tips you'll end up moving it when you push a button.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wow... overkill or overkill? Other than the 12 close together, likely to be mashed together keys on the thumb, it doesn't seem like a half bad mouse taking everything else on its own to consideration.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I like how in the entire video not once do they show a person actually using the mouse, especially seeing how big those 12 buttons are when compared to an average human's thumb. I would not feel comfortable buying this mouse without physically touching it and seeing how it works. Looking at my current mouse and my hand, it would seem that my thumb would cover that entire button area.

Sorry not a fan of logitech owned a considerable amount of their devices and whilst their functionality is usually good, logitechs devices are usually made of cheap internal components that end up having a short life span or the asthetic looks and trimmings on them degrade easily or fall off etc.

When logitech start making robust devices I will buyt heir stuff again until then ill stick with others.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

I can see those side buttons getting plugged up with a mix of cheezy and corn chip dust from all the 'serious' MMOPG.. users... yeah users that's PC.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

As someone who very nearly bought a Razer Naga until I actually got to try one out for 5 minutes, I can wholeheartedly agree with @gwailo247. I'd definitely have to see just what kind of fit the mouse was to my large hands before even thinking about putting down any money.

If it's a nice fit, though, it might be a nice one to grab. Between gaming and CAD, I could find lots of uses for those buttons - provided the configuration is easy to set for each program, that is.

Really?

My first G5 lasted 5 years and is still working, but I bought the updated version which is still running great too, I keep the other as a spare.

All mt mice have lasted and lasted..their other items I cannot speak for, but their mice are fantastic!

Ma_ga said:

My hand & wrist already suffer from a ergonomic mouse, I don't want to give it more to do, keyboard + mouse it's fine enough.

I find this very interesting and kind of coincidental that they have released this months after I had filled out their product surveys.

I actually requested in the surveys that they produce a gaming mouse similar to the Razer Naga.

Queue the "Shut up and take my money!" photo. I'm sold on this.

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

I happen to own a Razer Naga and it's a pretty awesome mouse. Logitech is definitely taking from Razer. I use it for all my games not just mmos.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Same. This mouse looks nice and at competing price. Not everyone can manage more then 3 keys on mouse without dissorientation but its well worth it. Use my mouse from macros to keybinding in WoW and SWTOR (no longer player either) and in Battlefield 3 as well.

Its a luxury which you don't need but well worth it if you ask me. That said Razer Naga could have better build quality, not falling apart but just the left clicker worn off so had to hot glue a new one on. Might do a mini project, stainless steel it as much as I can :3

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I tend to rest my thumb against the side of the mouse. This seems like it would require you to use your thumb in a more precise manner.

I always use my thumb pressed against the Fwd/Back buttons on my sturdy (lol) MX518, and just press the upper part of the thumb or the lower part of the thumb. This would probably require a change in how you hold your hand, seems less comfortable, your hand would get tired.

nismo91 said:

the "12 programmable G-buttons in two sets of six" is quite smart idea. when I try to navigate using a friend's razer naga, all the buttons are flat, and I can imagine it'd be much better if it were concave. the bad thing is just probably the lack of hyper-scrolling (which the G500 has).

I know your comment was meant to be facetious, but that is a very real concern. I own a G700 myself, and those side buttons look like the same type of buttons that the G700 uses for its G8-G10 buttons, which run along the side of the primary mouse button, and they start to stick very easily - and I don't even eat when I'm at my computer.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Same for me... I use my thumb to move my mouse right (not my palm), and if I want to click the back button I have to use my pinky to hold the mouse still. These buttons would have to be easy to press or they'd only work for people with a certain style. I'd prefer more buttons for my index and middle fingers.

treetops treetops said:

I got 2 side buttons on my Habu mosue and I only use them when I melee in a FPS game. Got it refurbished off ebay 20$ or so, lasted 3 years now my left click is actin a little funny. To bad I can't get another refurbished one, either this was made for my hand or my hand melded into the mouse .

How will this Mouse be useful for Left handed people who use their mouse with their left hands?

PinothyJ said:

It would be good to see a hardware review of this mouse, especially if it was being compared directly to the Razer Naga which it has obviously been inspired from...