Fully assembled iPhone 5 prototype shown off, could this be it?

By on July 30, 2012, 2:30 AM

Apple is hard at work on their next generation iPhone along with iOS 6.0, that's what we know for sure. The rest of the things we hear are mostly speculation that's been piling up for over a year when the company launched the iPhone 4S. Among the most well-founded rumors is the notion that the iPhone 5 will come with a larger screen, it will surely be 4G-ready, and it will possibly transition to a smaller connector to replace the dock connector that's been in use since the iPod days.

Over the weekend, Japanese repair shop iLab put together a purported iPhone 5 handset, fully assembling it from individual parts that have become available in manufacturing channels. If the parts are indeed official from Apple, this could be the closest we get to see iPhone 5 hardware ahead of its launch.

At first glance this looks extremely similar to the iPhone 4 and 4S models, albeit with a taller frame, the smaller dock connector and headphone jack at the bottom, front-facing camera sitting on the top middle, and possibly a slightly slimmer body.

While interesting that we may be confirming long-time rumors, Apple could just as well be playing the game of running several different prototypes somewhat in the open, in order to deceive and avoid larger leaks. However if the iPhone 5 resembles what we are seeing in the pictures above, it will be mostly an evolutionary step for the smartphone, that we're sure will sell like hotcakes regardless.

The current iPhone 4S kept the same physical appearance of its predecessor, however it brought with it new software features and hardware refinements. This strategy has panned out well for Apple, having sold dozens of millions of phones in a year time. The iPhone 5 is coming this year, no doubt about it, but with no launch date set, it could be anything from early August to late October until it gets here.

PC nerd PC nerd said:

Looks the same as all the other crap Apple pumps out.

>Apple innovation

Sounds like the same crap you would hear from a pc nerd

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Dang... I was hoping by moving the headphone jack to the bottom, they would put a speaker on the top for stereo during landscape mode. And I thought the screen would fill more of the front by lining the earpiece, camera, and light sensor up along the top and a smaller rectangle home button on the bottom.

1 person liked this | gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Nah, can't be an iPhone, doesn't look enough like a Samsung phone.

Yep, looks like the same thing we've been used to see for the last 5 years.

but hey, it works, people eagerly wish to replace what they have for something just the same every year. I'm guessing the iphone 6, 7, 8 and likely 9 will look just like this. both outside (case) and inside (software). but again, it works, so why change or complain?

Apple's been having formidable results by releasing the same refurbished thing every year! kudos to them!

So blame the consumers, not Apple!

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

While having a smaller connector surely has a number of advantages for both the design and manufacturing ends of the device, I almost feel bad for the people who will get this phone but have already invested in peripherals like speakers docks which might not have the clearance for some kind of adapter.

Almost.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Dang... I was hoping by moving the headphone jack to the bottom

From that first screenshot it does appear that the headphone jack is at the bottom.

p51d007 said:

Gotta give crapple credit. They know how their fans are. "Leaked" photos, "leaked" this & that...build the hype to get them to stand in line for days to get it. Will be interesting to see if it works again this time as it did with all the other iPhones.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I still don't understand people's obsession with Apple. I understood when they were releasing new innovative products, but now it's all the same thing... overpriced hardware because it has an Apple logo stamped on the back. I guess it's the same as name brand clothing. I make a very good living and can afford to throw some money away at something "I have to have". But paying a premium because there's a check mark or apple on the product, that I'll never understand.

RajeGera RajeGera said:

No1 can beat Apple's products..Damn those who say its a crap.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, it is 100% better than the current iPhone, but maybe iPhone 5 will be a game changer (I doubt it though).

Rippleman Rippleman said:

Quote: "I still don't understand people's obsession with Apple."

I have hundreds of colleges and lots of friends that use a variety of phone from different makers. The one that is most common (quick calculation guessing 70%) of them do use an iPhone (from apple of course) but not 1 single one of them is "obsessed" with apple. Its just a good product that works well. I have never met an Apple fan-boy or a person you would call a iSheep. The ONLY people I consistently see on a daily basis are the iBabies who cry about anything and everything apple.

Blue Falcon said:

@ p51d007 "Gotta give crapple credit. They know how their fans are."

1) Not everyone cares to customize their OS. Some people just want a phone that's easy to use.

2) Some people care about an OS that doesn't slow down over time and gets frequent updates over the course of the 2/3-year-contract. Not so with Android that becomes dog slow over time and rarely gets updates from the carriers.

3) Voice recognition and GPS that's second to none.

4) Arguably the best sound quality from any headset for audiophiles that use noise cancelling in-ear headphones on the go (especially great for those living in large metropolitan cities and use public transit).

5) Unmatched materials construction quality other than perhaps Nokia's phones.

6) Higher resale value than any Android phone at the end of your contract (can trade the iPhone easily to many places for a lot more $ than trying to sell a 2-3 year old Android phone on Ebay or Craigslist)

7) FaceTime with other Apple devices/Apple users.

** I am Samsung Galaxy SII user and I still recognize there are legitimate advantages to owning the iPhone.

lipe123 said:

So more of the same for a lot of money right?

They should just start calling it the call of duty phone.

I have never met an Apple fan-boy or a person you would call a iSheep.

Sure, we'll take your word for it based on your own statistic. I mean this is a definite conclusion that people are not obsessed with Apple products, since everything revolves around your college buddies.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

WOW!! That is one bland phone lol. Should make Apple billions.

The lack of design innovation by apple shows the crap product for a start.

Chris Barry Chris Barry said:

Looks the same as all the other crap Apple pumps out.

>Apple innovation

Agreed..

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Wow looks revolutionary lol. Looks the same just a 1/2 inch longer. Should sell like hot cakes lol. Stupid. Very happy with my Galaxy Note they can keep the 5.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

When I saw 11 year olds carrying an iphone last year I knew it was time to give mine up.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

I like the look better than the others rehashes. But because it's apple, I'll pass again. That annoying company has given me no reason to respect them and give them my hard earned money.

@ p51d007 "Gotta give crapple credit. They know how their fans are."

Did it ever occur to you that there are legitimate reasons for why the iPhone is actually a good phone?...

Their products (including the iphone) are of average quality, not the best quality. But they try to convince everyone that it's the best and then sell it for a premium + apple tax (I think the ipad is the ONLY one where they cannot get away with that).

So sure, it might be decent software and hardware. But for that price, it sucks.

Randomthom Randomthom said:

So, what "new" features are we going to see in this one then...? No doubt it'll be something that android/wp7 phones have been doing since day 1 but Apple will think up a catchy name for it and everyone will think that they invented it...

Bored of apple's products, angered by their appalling human rights, sick of itunes (best thing about ditching my iPhone 3 years ago was uninstalling that crap).

Personally very happily using WP7 & looking forward to WP8.

Oh, and a message to all those vocal iPhone users, you bought it, you didn't ******* invent it!

Rippleman Rippleman said:

I love seeing the ibabies cry. To get that worked up about someone else personal choice is funny.

fteumer said:

All of the people complaining have never had an Apple product or are too Windows/Android fanboi to look at the situation objectively.

Anecdote:

I had an HP Envy (First Gen i7) Beats Edition with a 3 year warranty. HP wouldn't replace it after 18months (The Video Card and mobo melted -- sweet engineering HP).

I just bought the brand new MacBook Pro (Retina). It's a lemon. Apple is shipping me a new one and I get to KEEP the lemon -- No questions asked. I also got free priority shipping (My new machine will be here by the end of the week). That's why you get Apple. Customer service and products that WORK.

Comment:

Can't wait to see this iPhone 5. There's a reason the iPhone and the iPad are dominating the market. They are powerful, easy to use and brilliantly engineered. I wish I could say the same for every Android but it's just not the case.

I would also like to say I picked up the Galaxy SIII and that is a fantastic device. I would recommend if you're looking for a cool gadget in the interim.

killeriii said:

I have never met an Apple fan-boy or a person you would call a iSheep.

You sound bitter...

I agree with rippleman. I know lots of people, all have cell phones, at least 50% are iphones. (although at least 25% of iphone users I know break them in the first year!) :o

oh, and I DO know an isheep...but only one.

Love the non-iphone fan replies. fact is, there will be lines around the corner to get a hold of one of these and they will be sold out in days if not hours, unlike any crap droid phone that comes out every 2 weeks with crap battery life and bloated software installed. nothing will beat this phone. period. not even the samsung tablet.. oops I meant phone. (sorry, its just so big I thought it was a table) LMAO - OWNED!

No. This phone is much cooler! Samsung crap is just that, CRAP.

Yet another Apple PDA that they will of course queue up for just to get robbed, serves them right for wanting yet another Personal Display of Affluence (or should that be effulgence) just like the last one. Has to be the new one right or your not cool.

Either Apple are great at marketing or taking advantage of the weak minded. Oh and I don't have an Apple or an Samsung, I'm just taking advantage as well and crying all the way to the bank.

Iphone Innovations level: crap

Tech_Truth Tech_Truth said:

Android is far easier to just use out of the box than iOs. Everything is much more intuitive on Android.

No... Android does not slow down over time unless you are filling it full of retarded apps. iOS does the same thing. Updates, one of the major complaints is due to Android receiving more updates than iOS. If my android phone updated any more frequently I would give it back.

3) Voice recognition and GPS that's second to none.

Android is far superior to iOs in both of those areas... Gps is laughable that you think iOS works better, and voice recognition proves that you have never used an android phone beyond first gen.

This is another lie, congrats.

5) Unmatched materials construction quality other than perhaps Nokia's phones.

the iPhones are actually the easiest to break phones on the market. I do like the weight of it though.

Yes I was able to resell a free iPhone I received for about retail due to apple fans being retarded. Android fans on the other hand are not as stupid with their money. This is also proven in the app markets.

7) FaceTime with other Apple devices/Apple users.

Google hangout > facetime. Android wins again.

You own an iPhone, and have never used android.