iPhone 5 breaks preorder record as new rumor teases Galaxy S4 launch

By on September 17, 2012, 11:08 AM

Apple's iPhone 5 is already off to a record setting start, according to a press release posted this morning on the company’s website. The much anticipated handset reportedly surpassed 2 million sales in the first 24 hours it was available for preorder on September 14. That’s more than double the previous record set by the iPhone 4S nearly a year ago, and over three times the 600,000 first-day sales of the iPhone 4 in 2010.

Initial stocks were depleted after just an hour of availability, forcing Apple to change the ship date listed on its website from September 21 to "two weeks." The company says that while the majority of preorders will still be delivered to customers on September 21, many are scheduled to be delivered in October.

Market analysts are forecasting strong sales for the iPhone 5. IHS iSuppli estimates the device will help drive Apple's smartphone shipments in 2012 to 149 million units, up 60 percent from 93 million in 2011. Meanwhile, Canaccord Genuity technology analyst Michael Walkley believes the company might sell from 9 million to 10 million iPhone 5 units by September 29 to close the third quarter, upping a previous estimate of 6 million units.

AT&T also said it posted record preorders of its own, although it stopped short of providing specific figures.

The iPhone 5 will officially hit stores in a total of 9 countries this Friday, September 21. Another 22 countries will follow suit a week later, while a total of  240 carriers in 100 countries should have it available by December.

But Samsung is not standing still as the new iPhone grabs all the headlines, though. A report from the Korea Times -- one that seems purposely well timed to try and slow down the iPhone 5’s momentum -- quotes an unnamed Samsung official saying the firm is ready to unveil the Galaxy S4 at February’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The next-gen Galaxy handset would reportedly go on sale as early as March 2013.

Not many details are available at this time except that the Galaxy S4 would sport a 5-inch OLED display, surpassing the already quite large 4.8-inch screen on the S3, along a few external design changes.

Alexmx said:

The iSheeping is strong with this one

captainawesome captainawesome said:

All of this without the 'wow' factor. That show's some credence to the whole iSheep sentiment.

1 person liked this | captainawesome captainawesome said:

Also, 5inch is waaay to damn big for something that goes in my pocket. I mean, I need the space in my pants for other things...

2 people like this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

And speaking of iSheep - did anyone see the Jimmy Kimmel video where they go out into the street, hand people iPhone 4's and tell them it's the new iPhone 5? The comments are hilarious!

[link]

Neojt said:

But But its faster and I can put I more icon on my home screen..... so im gona toss out my 4s and get this one !!

NOT

S3 power

The question is. If soneone gave you an iPhone 5 wouldnt you use it and/or show it off? Hmmmm.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My favourite bit was the guy with a 4S in his other hand

Alexmx said:

Hm, yes, I would use it... while I look for someone who trades me an SG3

1 person liked this | BlueDrake said:

Not at all. I'd be one of those who sell it on eBay. Who wants an Apple product anymore? Too many iSheep following it's brand. Next thing we see is an iBed from Apple, which is "state of the art technology" as they would spin it. It has a place for 2 iPhones and iPads, along with any other iProduct they produce.

You can charge them via some special connections, so you can do all your work from bed. While keeping everything synced in your home, as they soon introduce the iFridge and iMicrowave. :P

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

Losing hope for humanity fast. Anyone else?

I would sell it on Ebay too. I could probably get over retail for it, such is the iSheep mentality.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

It goes without saying that this iphone hype is bogus. I can't believe they pulled it off with nothing but "buy it, its the new one!". Lucky for Apple most people know nothing about smartphones. May god have mercy on their souls.

True, that was amazing news until I saw it was a 5 inch. I like it at 4.8 inches on the galaxy s3, 5" seems like its pushing it. But who knows, once upon a time I felt the same about the s3 and ended up loving it. Worst case scenario I can stick with the s3 and still be happy for a very long time.

BlueDrake said:

Losing hope for humanity fast. Anyone else?

You had hope in humanity? I've lost my hope a long time ago. Excluding the actually intelligent ones, who don't seem like a mindless iSheep.

Also to the "Guest" asking about intelligent comments? Where is the harm in said shots at Apple, when the fans are like rabid zombies? Neojt said it quite clearly I thought. I'm sorry if that's a bit above your level but honestly, I think the general mentality shows quite clear as day.

" Lucky for Apple most people know nothing about smartphones. May god have mercy on their souls"

unlike you, I'm thinking a bit different. Apple's market strategy is just awesome that can turn their consumer's mind to apple-loyalist with the same level of fanaticism as religious devotees.. and this is real according to the research conducted by neuroscientist.

"Does anyone ever make an intelligent comment on this site? Seems like its full of disgruntled Microsofters who have nothing better to do with their time but take simpleton pop shots at Apple's success.

Silly to even mention the S4. There nothing "teasing" about an iteration of a phone that's at least 6 months away."

How intelligent this comment.. as we can see many fellowship-of-the-apple who worship the advent of apple's new product just like waiting a prophecy down to earth that can bring peace to humanity..

and I'm not microsofter, not androider, not apple fanboy (but have some interest to iPhone)

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

NOT

S3 power

Careful though, you might have bumped Jimmy Kimmel the other day...

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

The thing I find annoying is that while I understand why people prefer android over iOS, people say "it only has an extra row of apps" as if thats the only thing they added.

smuff said:

Most companies have their 'sheep' in my opinion, be it apple, google MS, even you plebs using opensource operating systems. The simple fact is a large percentage of companies customers are loyal if the product works well for their needs and new products released are better than the last. I own an android device, an apple device and Win for phone and laptop (work). The only one I can complain about is Android. iOS works near pefect for what it is indended to do and Win7 is pretty good for the average person. The difference with Apple products is that the quality control is incredibly high. Apple wouldn't install iOS, or allow apps to run if it slowed down the system or made it crash, true there are some exceptions but nothing compared to the competitors. Windows, Android etc will run on anything, someone might be thinking "oh Win7 is rubbish" but are running it on a crap machine, with loads of other 3rd party softwear slowing it down. Truth of the matter is that Apple products are good at what they do, thats what you pay for, quality control. Call people who buy their products iSheep if you like, I don't think they care if the alternative is Android.....they might care if the alternative is a better Win8 operating system.

Arris Arris said:

They may have added more than just an extra row but most comparisons have shown that they are still behind other recent phones(both Windows and Android) in terms of advancement.

grvalderrama said:

It's just like Justin Bieber, I don't understand why has so many fans...

MilwaukeeMike said:

iOS works near pefect for what it is indended to do" "The difference with Apple products is that the quality control is incredibly high."

"Call people who buy their products iSheep if you like, I don't think they care if the alternative is Android.....they might care if the alternative is a better Win8 operating system.

So Apple is great and iOS is 'near perfect' no one is arguing that fact. The crazy part is, you are right, and people are STILL going out and replacing their 4 and 4S phones with the 5 and paying full price. Someone going from an iPhone 3 to the 5 is perfectly normal because they'll get the subsidized price.

We are calling them iSheep because many many people will be spending $500 or more to replace a phone that has no shortcomings and nothing wrong with it.

If the Galaxy S4 comes out and the screen is a tiny bit bigger and people drop their S3s, and spend $500 on an S4, we'll make fun of them too.

Wow! 2 million preorders in a day and Google only selling 1 million everyday.

smuff said:

A great point, although, correct me if I'm wrong, most people will be buying their iPhone or new galaxy through a monthly phone plan rather than forking out a big wad of cash, what are plans? 18 months to 2 years at most. What's the point in apple/samsung waiting 4 years between upgrading their phones? Sure they could wait and release the iPhone 5 in a few years and it may sing and dance compared to the iPhone 4S by then but everyone knows when your contract runs out, you want something new and better, no matter how little the difference, if a new iPhone isn't out or around the corner when your contract runs out the iSheep might think the grass is greaner elswhere. Little and often is the ways its done these days and it's not as though the 5 will be worse than the 4, the iOS will still be great and the hardware is still progress and something better. And to go back to my first post there could be a phone 10 years ahead of what we have now but if it's running on Android it would be crap. Let the iSheep graze.

I have 99 problems sons, but consumers buying their favorite product ain't one.

"I don't mind Apple products but still. The terrible logic that said fans have, I'm wanting to hide my head in shame. Knowing such people exist is making me scared. Also yes I'm a "Microsofter" simply because I use Win7. I could add more pointless notes about myself but, I don't wish to to hear sheep sounds in return."

If I may ask all you Samsung Galaxy worshippers one thing: Why do you always assume that every person that buys an iPhone, does so either because of lack of consideration or because they're just "Apple fanboys"? I for one dislike Apple, and their silly marketing that indeed seems to attract masses of mindless "fanboys", and YET, now that I'm presented with the choice of a new smartphone I decided to go with the iPhone 5 after a good time of consideration.

I pity all those talking about "iSheep" while they don't realize that this mentality also works exactly the opposite way. (negative bias)

To get to the actual facts, despite having obviously lower specs the iPhone may still match or even succeed it's competitors in performance. Many people overlook the fact that while Android and Windows 8 are rather "universally made" so to say, the iPhone's iOS is tailored specifically to it's hardware. I've also heard reports of very good build quality of the iPhone: Another thing you can't just include in the specifications.

Other things are mostly a matter of preference though, the looks of the iPhone, iOS and it's App Base are all just more appealing to me.

Overall I would say it's the simple and unifying design of appearances and software/hardware systems against customizability and generally more liberal approach to all mentioned aspects again, just like what we're used to on the PC market. While on a PC I undoubtedly prefer the latter mentality of design and hate Apple's computer systems with a passion, I must say, for me, this simply doesn't apply to smartphones. I like Apple's approach better and I feel sorry for those that are influenced in their decision by their negative bias.