iCloud to drop former MobileMe users from 25GB to 5GB

By on September 25, 2012, 3:30 PM

It looks as though former MobileMe users are about to lose their generous helping of iCloud storage. Effective September 30, iCloud subscribers who saw their cushy MobileMe limit of 20GB grandfathered in will see that number reduced from a combined total of 25GB to a paltry 5GB.

MobileMe, Apple's 2008 take on device synchronization, had its lingering existence officially snuffed out on June 30 of this year. It's interesting to note that up until June 30, @mobile.me accounts remained functional and were even used to score free Mountain Lion upgrades back in April. The company decided to deprecate the pock-marked service in favor of its new iCloud offering, an arguably more robust, cloud-based service introduced nearly a year ago.

Despite MobileMe's troubles, one thing it did have going for it was a whopping 20GB of online storage -- a benefit which ex-MobileMe subscribers retained after the transition to iCloud. Well, until now, that is.

For some iDevice owners, syncing all of their goodies to a single iCloud account may prove to be a tight squeeze. Five gigabytes, after all, isn't much space to work with anymore when it comes to photos and music. This is especially true for iPhone 5 and 4S owners, two devices which are equipped with 8-megapixel cameras and produce correspondingly larger photos than older devices.

Apple may be counting on this conundrum though, seeing as they sell 10GB of additional iCloud storage for $20 per year. Current iCloud plans include 10GB, 20GB and 50GB increments, each being added on top of the 5GB everyone receives for free.

MobileME - $100

iCloud - Free

If you had paid for MobileME you were given the extra storage as compensation for your paid subscription. All subscriptions have expired at this point.

Take the $99 you would have spent renewing MobileMe and use $40 to up your storage space instead.

khha4113 khha4113 said:

So we got screwed from Apple? I'd think I'd have stuck with Dropbox!

Landisnicholas Landisnicholas said:

I only use 18% of my 5 GB. There is hardly any need for more IMO

"I only use 18% of my 5 GB. There is hardly any need for more IMO"

Very true. But that's just you. I use 25% of my 12.3 GB of Dropbox space. My friend use 50% of his 15GB of Dropbox space. We all use different amount so what you use does not equal to what everyone else uses.

Landisnicholas Landisnicholas said:

I think iCloud works a whole lot different to Dropbox. The only thing counted in iCloud are really documents, and contacts, I have 82 contacts and 63 documents in there. All music, videos, and photos aren't included in the 5gb

Fill F Fill Fill F Fill said:

It should be noted that iCloud storage is free and unlimited. It's just the 3rd party app docs that is limited to 5GB by default, which I haven't run into or even used yet to any significant degree. In any case, you can buy more storage if it gets to that. Or get an external drive, which is probably smarter/safer, anyways.

Romeolo888 Romeolo888 said:

They already done it haven't they, I got an email saying I was close to my 5GB limit.

If thats the case, I will just change to Gmail .