First non-game software titles now available on Steam

By on October 3, 2012, 1:00 PM

As promised, Valve has officially expanded Steam beyond games, adding non-gaming software to the digital distribution platform. The initial offering is a little sparse with just seven apps available and it mostly comprises multimedia and game related tools. Specifically, 3D-Coat, ArtRage Studio Pro, 3DMark Vantage, 3DMark 11, CameraBag 2, Source Filmmaker and free and paid versions of GameMaker: Studio.

Prices range from $15 for CameraBag 2 to upwards of $180 for GameMaker: Studio, although Steam is discounting every software title by 10% through the week to celebrate the launch. New titles will be added in a regular fashion following the initial batch, though it’s unclear if the catalog will remain limited to Windows-only titles or if Mac OS X (and eventually Linux) software is on the cards as well.

Developers will be able to submit new software titles through Steam Greenlight.

Valve says applications downloaded from Steam can take advantage of popular Steamworks features such as easy installation, automatic updating and the ability to save your work in Steam Cloud, where it can be accessed from any computer using your login credentials.

The company first unveiled plans for a non-gaming section of Steam back in August and originally aimed to launch it on September 5. The company is also working on a Linux version of Steam, which will enter a limited beta this month, as well as a Big Picture mode intended to bring Steam to your living room TV.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

Installing steam right now... I hate how you have to register with steam to play a certain amount of games but I don't mind buying software form them. Now they just have to make it easy for me to sell a game I don't play anymore.

ramonsterns said:

If you don't register you don't have an account. If you don't have an account, you have nothing to link your purchase to.

Also, selling games you own won't happen. Or at least I seriously doubt it will, but Valve always surprises me.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

I have an account.

ramonsterns said:

I have an account.

So you're complaining for the sake of complaining?

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sounds more like having to run Steam to use an application is the problem. You can't run the apps you buy without authenticating. I can download software from other stores, like Nero's Website, and it doesn't need to phone home or some account verification for me to use it. So would you really have control over how you use an application or does big brother have the control?

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Steam client authentication is so slow... so many to configure if your on a router... etc etc

to much hassle to the paying customer...

Emexrulsier said:

To be fair though read the law it is actually your legal right to be able to sell items you don't use any many software houses may soon be forced to provide such services. Some companies like EA and UBISoft have already got in a place a scheme where you pay x amount (normally 1/3) to transfer a purchased game over to someone else. Just a money making exercise really.

What are you talking about man ?

jeffz6 said:

Be prepared to pay alot more for you games then. Or how about sell back to steam for a reduced credit on your account?

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

Get a 18 rack of beer and watch the kids play the games now..