MasterCard to release credit card with display and keypad in 2013

By on November 8, 2012, 9:30 AM

Near Field Communication has been at the forefront of payment technology for a couple of years now. We’ve seen the tech ship on multiple smartphones to facilitate paying for things at places like gas stations and convenience stores. A new technology from MasterCard being unveiled in Singapore, however, could rival NFC in sheer terms of awesomeness.

The credit card company worked with Standard Chartered to launch what is essentially a credit card with a built-in display and touch-sensitive keypad. It’s described as an interactive payment card, or security token card, which uses MasterCard’s Display Card technology.

The display and keypad allow cardholders to generate a one-time password that is used as an authentication security measure. MasterCard says that future revisions will be able to display things like available card balance, loyalty or reward points, recent transactions and other interactive information.

The card will become standard issue for all Standard Chartered Online Banking and Breeze Mobile Banking users starting in January 2013. They say it’ll be particularly useful for high-risk transactions like payments or transfers above a certain amount or when adding third party payees.

Furthermore, all MasterCard Super Salary, XtraSaver and Bonus$aver debit cards issued in Singapore will be converted to Display cards. The company didn’t mention if this technology would soon be introduced in other parts of the world.

Would you be more inclined to use something like this to pay for goods versus an NFC-enabled device given the potential security risks that the latter may have?

I can see this card is magnet for hackers alike :D

6 people like this | ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

What if my credit card runs out of battery?

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Case #1

Buyer: OMG! I forgot to bring cash!

Cashier: Don't worry, we accept any kind of credit cards, sir

Buyer: Thank God.. Here's my card

Case #2 using this new type credit card

Buyer: OMG! I forgot to bring cash!

Cashier: Don't worry, we accept any kind of credit cards, sir

Buyer: Here's my card.. ... ..Wait! I think my card is running out of battery

Cashier: ...

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

How is this supposed to be easier than just swiping the card, or tapping it on the thingamajoo for nfc?

1 person liked this | Camikazi said:

"thingamajoo" gotta say awesome word you made there, I like it

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Wonder if they're going to have Debit Card (Credit Card Option)?

4 people like this | Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

But...will it play Crysis?

Not long after Mastercard issued this card, they will issued new type credit card which you can installed apps and update your facebook status or twitter from your credit card :D

Devon_D Devon_D said:

This I very interesting concept allowing someone to telesign in a transaction or payment with the OTP. I'm hoping that more companies start to offer this awesome functionality.

Hackeable.....bankers are going down

MilwaukeeMike said:

But...will it play Crysis?

I laughed

TechMancer TechMancer said:

Will this be the same size as the standard card? I think not, because of the components necessary to give it a working keypad and display. Final size? I'd say around 3x2x1/4 (in inches).

TJGeezer said:

Seems a one time password tech would be effective against, for example, the fake ATM covers that have appeared, made by 3D printing processes and used to steal card numbers and passwords. I like it. A lot would depend on how big a hassle it is to use.

ikesmasher said:

What if my credit card runs out of battery?

I can imagine a possible cheap solar panel similiar to what cheap calculators use

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Is the picture above the actual size of the card? lols

1 person liked this | teknix360 teknix360 said:

"thingamajoo" gotta say awesome word you made there, I like it :)

I believe the correct term is "dohickeyholler."

teknix360 teknix360 said:

What if my credit card runs out of battery?

I think that the card would probably expire before it would run out of battery. Or it may have a solar panel thingy in it like the calculators of yore.

1 person liked this | Camikazi said:

Still see cards running out of power considering cards tend to spend almost all their lives inside wallets or purses and in the dark.

ikesmasher said:

except when you need to take them out to use them. which is the only time you need them to work.

1 person liked this | p51d007 said:

I dont' know...I think ring-back-fibulator or Knutz-en-valve might be more appropriate

As long as you have plenty of blinker fluid or muffler bearing grease, shouldn't be an issue.

"thingamajoo" gotta say awesome word you made there, I like it

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

Would I use it - - never. I refused a NFC enabled card some time back and requested a dumb card instead. If that can't be done, I for one will close the account (got too many anyhow!)

PinothyJ said:

You old conservative, you...

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

This seems quite soon for such fancy tech.

Also, if people can still sign for ccards, every security point is moot.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

In that case, what about boot time before you can use the card?

ikesmasher said:

In that case, what about boot time before you can use the card?

do calculators have a boot time? even then, would 3 seconds be murderous?