Razer releases updated DeathAdder gaming mouse

By on November 20, 2012, 5:00 PM

Razer has launched an updated version of their popular DeathAdder gaming mouse. The revised pointer will ship with a new 4G infrared sensor capable of achieving up to 6,400 DPI resolution for improved performance and precision, among other improvements.

The gaming accessory provider says the new DeathAdder maintains the same iconic right-handed ergonomic shape as the original but it has been enhanced with built-in textured rubber side grips to provide more control during intense matchups. Sorry, lefties – looks like you’re still out of luck here.

President of Razer USA Robert “RazerGuy” Krakoff said the company didn’t fix anything that wasn’t broken but instead focused on enhancing and optimizing the proven merits of the DeathAdder. He said Razer used next generation technology and ergonomic tweaks to make the perfect gaming mouse even better.

Rather than rehash all of the features, we’ve reproduced the specs list for you below.

• 6400 dpi 4G Optical Sensor
  • Ergonomic right-handed design with textured rubber side grips
  • Five independently programmable Hyperesponse buttons
  • Razer Synapse 2.0 enabled
  • 1000 Hz Ultrapolling/1 ms response
  • On-The-Fly Sensitivity adjustment
  • Always-On mode
  • 200 in. per sec. and 50 G of acceleration
  • Zero-acoustic Ultraslick mouse feet
  • Gold-plated USB connector
  • Seven-foot, lightweight, braided fiber cable
  • Approximate size: 5.00 in./127 mm (Length) x 2.76 in. / 70 mm (Width) x 1.73 in. / 44 mm (Height)
  • Approximate weight : 0.23 lbs./105 g

The DeathAdder was originally released in late 2006 and has since garnered quite a following based on its ergonomic design and precision accuracy. It was the first gaming mouse from Razer to use 3G infrared technology and led the way for other successful mice including the Lachesis, the Mamba and the Imperator.

The revised Razer DeathAdder is available as of writing in the US and in Europe for $69.99 and EU €69.99, respectively.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

I wield my original DeathAdder (about 3 years now) and its still a great mouse. It has taken many lives.

ikesmasher said:

Sorta OT (saw "right handed" in topic) but am I the only left handed person thats been using a right hander mouse my entire life? I just started off that way and it stayed that way.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

My personal favorite mouse. I don't game much but even for desktop use it's great.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Why exactly is it so popular? I never understood.

There are better-specced, cheaper, more comfortable mice around. The Razer isn't bad, but is it just so popular due to the name and it being sold everywhere?

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

@St1ckM4n well, that's very subjective. Coming from over half a dozen MS and Logitech mice, I found the Razer the best for me in the past couple of years or so (I have bought 3 of them already, two in use, the third got a damaged click button after ~1 year of heavy use).

WaveZero said:

Or you can just say they look cool =)

LOL..

I owned an original boomslang (in a round tin) and that was the last Razer worth owning. None of the newer Razer mice are above par & are moving backwards in terms of features and use.

Who would want to own ANY razer mouse with Synapse 2.0..? DRM for a mouse.. no thank you, I'll take one with on-board memory..

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Damn it, I have the left handed edition, sure hope they bring out a left handed edition of this updated version.