Infographic: The state of Android and its rise to smartphone domination

By on December 19, 2012, 9:00 AM

Android has quickly become a force to be reckoned with. It currently stands as the most popular smartphone OS worldwide and is on the right path to keep growing as users move away from feature phones in the years to come. But Android did not exist as we know it a short few years ago.

The infographic below gives some perspective on the evolution of Android since Google acquired it in 2005 to this day. While highlighting some of Android's most impressive milestones, the graph certainly misses on the challenges ahead: fully becoming a tablet contender and fixing Android version upgrades for a majority of users (it's estimated that over half of all Android users still run Gingerbread or lower).

And yet, with over 250 million devices activated this year alone, who is complaining...

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

If only Steve Jobs was alive to witness this domination .

Chazz said:

This just seems like bragging. I like Intels infographics and statistics about transistors. It's actually cool to think about, this offers nothing. They should add more info like the big mac comparison and less gloating about beating out Apple. You'd think Google made this.

Have you ever watched an Apple keynote? all they do is brag about their statistics, what they've sold, how many apps, how much profit they made off of their Sheeple.

Chazz said:

This isn't an article about Apple's keynote though. So I'd be way out of line commenting on it. I'm not a fan of Apple's keynotes either. I remember Steve Jobs saying in a interview that Apple steals great ideas shamelessly, then he goes on a rampage about Google stealing Apple's ideas. No need to watch hypocrites brag.

Anyways, have you even seen what I was referring to? It's actually interesting useless information that Intel releases. It's fun to read, unlike this. It's worthy of an article.

Apple's best days are behind them.

misor misor said:

Android has more activations than iOS but I read somewhere that apple makes more money per device and per apps sold than android.

cmbjive said:

This just seems like bragging.

Isn't bragging better than making an announcement that Android is being canceled for declining users?

Chazz said:

This just seems like bragging.

Huh? I don't get the relevance of this question. I feel like I'm being dragged into a Apple, Microsoft, Google fanboy debate when I shouldn't be. I'm just saying this article isn't interesting. You guys replies are perplexing. Or maybe that was the point of this article. I'll step away.

Not surpise. Apple overcharge their product to make the profit.

cmbjive said:

This just seems like bragging.

I'm not trying to drag you into anything. I asked you a pretty pertinent question which I'll rephrase: Isn't it better to brag about good news than to deliver bad news?

And if you found the article disinteresting why'd you bother to comment? I think stepping away is a wise decision.

MilwaukeeMike said:

This just seems like bragging.

C'mon, you must think it's a little interesting... that was your 4th post.

Chazz said:

This just seems like bragging.

C'mon, you must think it's a little interesting... that was your 4th post.

3, now 4! (Or did you know I was gonna respond to you before I did. My mind is blown.)

I was talking to the users! I've seen some articles with pretty crappy subjects go 3-4 pages!

But, these responses were just....odd. I do find that interesting

Littleczr Littleczr said:

Wait until people start using ICS. When I switched from Gingerbread to ICS it was like going from a pot belly sprinter to Usain Bolt arch rival.

Tygerstrike said:

As a individual who sells cellphones to the general consumer I can state two things with an absolute certainty. 1. Ppl who buy Apple like the IOS, so they keep using it. 2. Its the custimization on Android that ppl like. I have also seen way too many Apple customers who are extremly tired of the limitations of Apples OS. Those are the fun customers. They like the idea that they can use the device like they want to use. Instead of being locked down and not able to do much with thier phone.