Facebook plans to deliver video ads to your news feed next year

By on December 19, 2012, 1:00 PM

Facebook’s quest to boost revenue marches forward as we are now hearing reports that the social network will introduce video advertisements by the second quarter of next year. These ads, much like the simple text and graphic ads that already appear on the site, will be integrated directly into a user’s news feed.

Advertising industry executives say the video ads will appear on both the desktop and mobile versions of the social network. They will begin playing automatically without a user having to click to play or even roll over them but it’s undecided at this hour if audio will also accompany the video playback automatically.

As Business Insider points out, the site already allows advertisers to show video clips but Facebook users must click the ad to activate playback. Furthermore, in most cases, a friend of a user would have first had to like the advertiser’s profile page or comment on a particular video for it to show up in a news feed.

The idea behind the new ad platform is to attract advertisers that have traditionally purchased television commercial spots. Jason Del Ray from AdAge believes the length of each video could be capped at 15 seconds, a format that is becoming more common with television commercials these days. Such a format could allow ad agencies to share ads between the web and broadcast TV.

It comes as no surprise that many are concerned with the idea of the video’s autoplay feature, especially if audio accompanies the video. Ads such as this are usually seen as little more than an annoyance and could pose a serious problem for those who surf the social network while at work (maybe that’s not such a bad thing after all). One also has to wonder how audio-embedded ads would function on a smartphone while music is playing or even during a call.

3 people like this | Nima304 said:

If you don't use Chrome/Firefox with AdBlock, best install them now.

1 person liked this | learninmypc learninmypc said:

I've always used adblock plus in all my browsers. I think its ridicules not to.

Thank you.

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

As annoying as this may turn out to be, it's not a surprise. FB has been missing a huge marketing opportunity by not showing ads. Also, to any kids out there who haven't learned this life lesson yet... Nothing is free. Having a small video play is a small price for what FB offers.

Dont' get be wrong though, I really hope they don't include audio. That'll just make us close their page, install a blocker, or otherwise find a way to avoid the ad. I use my PC as an HTPC, random commercials playing in the middle of a show is what makes my visits to NFL.com very short. We'll end up seeing far more ads if we're not encouraged to leave their page.

1 person liked this | t3chn0vamp said:

Guess creators of ADBlock gotta get ready for the new year !

SCJake said:

I like the adblock suggestion, but honestly untangle is the better choice. Router/utm/vpn/AD KILLER/Network AV at the same time. All free as long as you have a dying comp laying around (gotta have 2 NICs though!)

Chazz said:

I agree completely. I can't stand NFL.com and sites like it.

1 person liked this | Littleczr Littleczr said:

If you don't use Chrome/Firefox with AdBlock, best install them now.

It is the best invention of 2011 and 2012.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

It is the best invention of 2011 and 2012.

I totally agree.(y)

treetops treetops said:

When this happens everyone is going to leave facebook for something new.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Or maybe scroll past it

Fokissed Fokissed said:

If you don't use Chrome/Firefox with AdBlock, best install them now.

It is the best invention of 2011 and 2012.

Adblock wasn't "invented" in 2011 or 2012. I've been using Adblock Plus since 2007, and even it is a fork of Adblock.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

History of Adblock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adblock_Plus

On mobile too ? What about data charges and slowed connections because of streaming video ?

So glad I quit FB.

Avantare Avantare said:

If you don't use Chrome/Firefox with AdBlock, best install them now.

I've been using Firefox with Adblock+ for many years now. I haven't been on FB in many weeks to post. Not with the shenanigans Mark is pulling. I'll lurk and see no ads. :)

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

AdBlock is indeed the perfect solution.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

AdBlock is indeed the perfect solution.

As long as it hides the ads & video(s), fine with me.(y)

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

They can change that though I think and get creative. I remember adblock used to block wikipedia's donations by default, and it somehow reappeared before the allow nonabtrusive ads option surfaced I believed.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I hope AdBlock can cover this. I don't have an unlimited data allowance and it's videos what gobble the most data up on normal browsing...having an auto-play feature is going to get a lot of people angry I feel.

Facebook seem to have a doctrine in how to make poor and annoying decisions...

"When this happens everyone is going to leave facebook for something new."

Hopefully people will leave any anti-social networks.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

"When this happens everyone is going to leave facebook for something new."

Hopefully people will leave any anti-social networks.

If you really believe that, I have a mountain for you, reasonably priced,too.