TechSpot's Most Anticipated PC Games of 2013

By on January 29, 2013, 8:45 PM

It's an exciting year for gamers -- not just because the industry has whipped up an appetizing menu of fresh releases, but because we're approaching the next console generation, which will inevitably come with interesting new software projects, and many of them are bound to hit PC. Assuming Microsoft and/or Sony ship their updated hardware by the holidays, we could see some major launch titles shown at E3 in June, which might render our collection of 35 games (and 10 bonus mentions we're lukewarm about) incomplete.

And with that, we need to smack you with this obvious disclaimer: many interesting upcoming titles were excluded from our list, which is admittedly subjective and impossible to complete without adding everything due in 2013, but that would totally defeat the purpose of a "most anticipated" compilation. As always, you're more than welcome (encouraged, even) to hit the comments and tell us what we've missed and why you think it's important -- just make sure it's a PC game coming out in 2013 or be ready to take your lumps.

Read the complete guide.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

[link] :

Four replay modes once you beat the game once;

Game+ : As per the previous DS/DS2, allows the player to retain any upgrades from the previous play through

Classic Mode: Old school Dead Space single player

Pure Survival Mode: Resources are only gotten by killing necromorphs. No freebee pickups

Hardcore Mode: Looks similar to Hardcore in DS2, except that DS2 allowed three save game points during the whole play through. DS3 has only one

1 person liked this |
Staff
Steve Steve said:

Cannot get enough of the beta for StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm so bring it on

1 person liked this | ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I'm surprised that the elder scrolls online was left out. That and bf4 are most likely the only games that I will preorder this year.

2 people like this | TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Fingers crossed for a PC version of GTA V

captainawesome captainawesome said:

I'm excited for Watchdogs and Tomb Raider

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

GTA V and Company of Heroes 2 are my pre-order's.

Tomb Raider looks interesting

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm & Bioshock Infinite is also near the top of my list.

Its' just too early for Battlefield 4 to be honest, hell the last expansion pack comes out in march for BF3, then half a year later the next game comes out? no way am I buying into that.

Crysis 3 from what I have seen so far won't be anything special.

1 person liked this | Lurker101 said:

Looks like a great big bunch of sequels that will most likely disappoint fans of the previous installments. I can't even get excited about the re-re-re-re-release of Sim City these days because I know just how far EA have fallen.

misor misor said:

Looking forward to the release of sc2:heart of the swarm here, but not buying, unless blizzard will make another price cut for 2013 thanksgiving sale.

( I bought my d3 and sc2: wol at discounted prices last 2012 thanksgiving; I'm not in a hurry)

the opening scene of sc2: hots is awesome.

1 person liked this | Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Games I'm excited about :

Crysis 3 - as long as they don't change gameplay and how freely you can use your suit.

Dark Souls 2 - The 1st one is by far the best RPG I've played in my entire life. If they can keep the standards and fix the the very few flaws it has, this 2nd game will be one hell of a ride.

Dragon Age III - The 1st game was an unique experience, the 2nd should have just been called "Dragon Arcade", although the skill system was awesome. I just hope they put their **** together in the next game.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist - If it's just as good as Conviction, I'm diving in. And for those of you who like to say it wasn't a true stealth game, try playing in realistic mode and come back again, please.

Tomb Raider - well, it just looks great in every way.

Watchdogs - whatever it is, I like it

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

The games that interest me are: Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3, GTA V, Grid 2 & Splinter Cell. The rest you can keep.

1 person liked this | red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Hopefully someone tells the devs of Arma that the GPU has been invented.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Games I'm excited about :

What?! wait what? I'm guessing you only played the first one?

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Games I'm excited about :

What?! wait what? I'm guessing you only played the first one?

Nope, I played both. I'm just one of the few who likes the 2nd better than the 1st.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Games I'm excited about :

What?! wait what? I'm guessing you only played the first one?

I'm yet to come past many people like you so I'm going to ask, why? what was better in 2 than one? the suite reloads its power faster, apart from that everything else was rubbish in comparison but I'm intrigued to know what you think.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

At least the Battlefield expansions add more than 4 maps per pack. There are new assignments, new maps, new guns, new game modes, new vehicles. It's literally an "expansion" unlike the CoD equivalent.

I'm proud of Dice for supporting the DLCs for the last 14 months. I love most of the expansions for BF3 (except Close Quarters aka CoD). BF4 will come out about 2 full years after BF3, which is much more than can be said for the year after year iteration of CoD (I know they split development between Infinity Ward and Treyarch, but see my point).

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'm looking forward to the new Sim City the most .

New Starcraft 2 expansion looks cool also, but I felt a little let down my Starcraft 2 and I'm annoyed at Blizzard for releasing each race's campaign as a new expansion. I will most likely wait on getting the expansion until its on sale for a nice low price.

I have played a bit of thew DmC, and its a fun game, I'm just having trouble with comparing to the first 4 and it doesn't feel the same.

I will probably play Dragon Age III: Inquisition at some point. I enjoyed that last one quite a bit.

mls067 mls067 said:

Bioshock Infinite, Elder Scrolls Online and , if they fix the size of the cities, Sim City. I played the beta and actually liked what little I did play--weird for me.

Also, Tomb Raider. But I am going to wait on this one and see what the general consensus is

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

I thought the story was much more interesting in the 2nd game, as well as the atmosphere. The suit activates certain powers automatically, like speed and strength, instead of you having to manually enable them. I like to play all my games with a gamepad if possible and crysis 2 has a much better button layout than the original. I'm not at all into 1st person shooters and for some reason, the 1st game didn't interest me that much. On the other hand, crysis 2 is my favorite game of the genre and I've finished it 3x. I believe that from the perspective of people who actually like 1st person shooters, the original game is way better, while I like to pay more attention to narrative, atmosphere and plot development. I tend to like games in a very particular way. Just like said in the other post, the first dragon age is far better than the second, you have to be a fool not to realize it, but I just loved it. Another game that in my opinion kicks serious *** is Syndicate, which a lot of people hated.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I'm kinda waiting for Tomb Raider as well. Great Lara Croft voice-acting by Camilla Luddington.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I guess that makes sense, especially if your not into first person shooters, the first one was far more hard core than the second (sandbox, attack the story however you like), although I don't know how the story is any better? in fact Crysis 2 ruined the story because you play as some randomer and no one from the actual story line that had been laid out in the first game? I want to know what happens when they arrived back at the island god damn it!

Instead they produced Crysis 2, set years later, prophet dies as the first thing and your some random solder that was near the coast? Some Corporation has taken over and the aliens have all changed, its just rubbish.

The Graphics were worse (they released a few patches a year later though that helped quite a bit), the game play was worse, the upgrade system was messy and all the auto suite stuff just meant they had to increase how quickly the suite recharged otherwise you'd constantly be standing around waiting, although it was a change that was not necessarily bad.

But, this was the worse thing for me, the A.I. were Appalling on Crysis 2, original Crysis they were smart(ish) they would flank, they could hear, see and trip up on you, they would deviate from there predetermined route if they did think you were near by, in Crysis 2, they seem completely brain dead.

I think this was deliberate though, with a game pad it does take longer to aim onto stuff and they needed to slow down the enemy's somehow.

Anyway I guess if you preferred it, nothing is going to change that :p

I do wonder though, have you ever played the Half-Life series? because if you have and you actually rate Crysis 2 higher on story and narrative than Half-Life, you've got a screw lose :p

EDIT: I'd also like to add, your completely right with Dragon Age though, the first was better than the second!

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

@Burty117

Everything you said is quite right. The problems is I played crysis 2 before the original crysis. I wasn't expecting anything, I had nothing to be disappointed at. The only 1st person shooter I had played before Crysis 2 was Modern Warfare 2, which had me hugely impressed, I had never seen anything like it. The A.I. in Crysis 2 does suck, such a shame.

The only 1st person shooters I've played so far are: Crysis, Crysis 2, Modern Warfare 2, Syndicate, Battlefield 3.

Edit: It maybe exactly because I played the 2nd game before the 1st that its story was more attractive to me. Who knows...

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

These games look great. From Splinter cell, to the map size and look of GTA V, to Lost Planet 3?!... waaaatf? Didn't the first two bomb?

I can't wait for BF4, GTA V, Watchdogs, Dirt 2, and Splinter Cell.

But what I'd really like to see is more and realistic character animations, and destructible environments that can be altered in real-time by natural disasters or massive explosions caused by you, someone else... or something else.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Each to his own. I also preferred the 2nd one to the 1st. Warhead included.

I can't wait for BF4, GTA V, Watchdogs, Dirt 2, and Splinter Cell.

DiRT 2 ??? You're a couple of years behind buddy. DiRT 3 was released a while back as was it's follow up 'Showdown'. I take it you mean Grid 2. Ah well not all is lost. I'm looking forward to it too.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

@Burty117

Meh, I guess I can see it from your point of view, I still think if you play a first person shooter for its story and narrative and atmosphere, you really need to play the Half-Life games :P

Each to his own. I also preferred the 2nd one to the 1st. Warhead included.

Meh, did you also play Crysis 2 before Crysis 1?

Adamking Adamking said:

I'm really looking forward to Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zero. Having that game in a free roam environment sounds incredible, not to mention it was my favorite series when growing up.

Dunn11 Dunn11 said:

The Witcher 3!!! Yea, I'm a fan boy, I read the books.

derp: 2014 haha