Minecraft now available free of charge for Raspberry Pi owners

By on February 11, 2013, 5:00 PM

The incredibly popular sandbox game Minecraft continues to expand to a number of different platforms following its arrival on the PC back in May 2009. As of today, the hit title is now available on the Raspberry Pi, the affordable micro-sized computer designed to help people learn to write code.

It was announced late last year that the game was coming to the mini system. Officially called Minecraft: Pi Edition, it is available free of charge for anyone that already owns the programming-oriented device. The game is essentially a watered down version of Minecraft: Pocket Edition for Android and iOS that can run smoothly on the system’s low-powered hardware.

Daniel Frisk from Minecraft explains that the game runs on Raspbian “wheezy” with XWindows. Those who need to install that software first can pick it up on Raspberry Pi’s website. From there, users will need to boot up the system and run a few specific commands to launch the game.

We are told that the team will be adding new features in due course but they at least wanted to get something out to the Raspberry Pi faithful now rather than later.

With this version, users will be able to edit the game’s code at the base level. This will allow players to manipulate the environment in a much larger way, albeit raw in nature. Owen Hill, CWO at Mojang AB said it’s like hacking your way into Minecraft and modifying the game world with code much like Notch or any of the other developers would be able to do.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

This is cool. The world needs more developers like Good-Guy-Notch and less like EA and Activision. EA would never give up the code to a multi-million dollar game to let people tinker with it for free.

+1 to Notch for being awesome!

Nima304 said:

Do you get a free account with it for multiplayer?

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Wow that great! I can't believe it! I'm so excited! So excited in fact I'm going to... What the hell is a Raspberry Pi???

Leeky Leeky said:

This.

More information about it is here: http://www.techspot.com/tag/raspberry pi/

To sum it up in a sentence or two it's a $35 credit card sized computer running Linux on ARM-based hardware commonly found in tablets and smartphones. The primary focus of its existence is to reignite programming in schools and universities as well as those that like to tinker with computers at home.

Considering its size and price it's rather outstanding. I haven't had the chance to explore it as much as I'd like but I've been very impressed with the one I have.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Thank you.

1 person liked this | ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Have you been living under a rock for the past 3 years or have you just not logged onto Techspot in 3 years?

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I vaguely remember reading something about it in the past but seeing that it never even remotely interested me I'd forgotten about it.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

It is more interesting if you know how to program or if you're interested in a computer that has almost no affiliation with any major company (I.e. Microsoft, Apple etc).

1 person liked this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

I've read this game title as MeinKampf a few times already. Maybe they should rename it?

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I can see it's appeal.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Zay haf vay's und means. Ja