Microsoft exec says gamers without Internet can stick with Xbox 360

By on June 12, 2013, 12:30 PM

Microsoft recently announced that its upcoming Xbox One would require an Internet connection every 24 hours in order to work. This, along with the $499 price tag and their stance on used games, has left the gaming community at least a little angry. For some it comes down to more than just anger, as the requirement could actually prevent them from playing games. After all, there are plenty of places where broadband is not available.

Xbox executive Don Mattrick has a solution: stick with the Xbox 360.

In an interview with Spike TV at this year's E3 conference, Mattrick said, "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity. It's called Xbox 360."

The new Xbox 360 design unveiled at E3 2013

At this point the interviewer jumped in and said, "So stick with 360, that's your message?" To which Mattrick responded, "Well, if you have zero access to the Internet, that [360] is an offline device." He then points to an example he read in a blog comment from someone who serves on a nuclear sub. "I don't even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub, but I've got to imagine that it's not easy to get an Internet connection."

It's not as if Microsoft is abandoning the 360 outright. The company has big plans to keep supporting the console going forward, and it actually just released an updated version of the device at the start of E3.

This might keep some players content, but many are not going to be happy to stick with last generation's system, and they are going to want to upgrade. This puts Sony in a great spot as the PlayStation 4 works without Internet, and it offers all the next generation capabilities gamers are looking for.

(Fast forward to 1:45 to listen the Don Mattrick's response in full context).

4 people like this | Guest said:

The bad PR that Microsoft is getting with the Xbox One continues. His statement alone will cause more people to buy a PS4.

treeski treeski said:

Yeah this online requirement is a killer.

1 person liked this | motrin said:

Link to the video

[link]

5 people like this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

Nuh, they won't stick with 360, they will get PS4, you arrogant wankers...

If only for once Microsoft bothered to put together wishes of their customers...

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

In other words continue forward with Microsoft or stay stuck in the past. You know thats exactly the same mentality that I had against the release of Windows 8. This mindset is the type that kills a company. I honestly do not think Microsoft is so large that their business cannot be severely ruined.

Does Microsoft actually have a God like complex and believe they are so big, there will be no repercussions?

4 people like this | Kevin82485 Kevin82485 said:

I've never quite seen anything like what Microsoft is doing to themselves lately. The more they talk, the worse things get. Corporate suicide.

4 people like this | Guest said:

The interviewer should have replied, "or they could just go out and buy a PS4..."

3 people like this | Guest said:

That's a petty and arrogant stance for MS to take.

NAH thank you, I'll stick with ps4

JC713 JC713 said:

I think MS should have upgraded the 360 a bit more, then they have the right to talk like that. Upgrade a bit more than the look and cooling. Maybe add a bit more memory, the new kinect and the new controller to the bundle. Then they can say "stick with the Xbox 360". But in the state the 360 is now, this means nothing.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's a petty and arrogant stance for MS to take.

Just wait, in a few days MS will come forward. At which time they will state, he wasn't speaking with their best interest and apologize for any hard feelings. Or possible deny the fact he was representing MS at all.

1 person liked this | Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

It is going to be just a lot of fun to see how this shakes out. Come for a ride in my Edsel..we'll stop at HoJo's and grab a couple of New Cokes..and then go check these out at CompUSA.

What fun!!

You think Microsoft would of learned from the Metro debacle. Like with Windows 8, Microsoft don't care what their customers want. Gamers are a unique breed, ones you don't want to piss off. It's not going to matter if Microsoft has good games, gamers are going to choose what's good. Xbox don't look like a good deal all the way around. Compared with the PS4, the Xbox One is slower, no DVD player, can't play single player games offline, can't play rented games, used games restrictions, etc...

VitalyT VitalyT said:

The guy may already be lying in a ditch...

What the hell is going on with MS with "our way" attitude...haven't they learned anything from Win8?

Glad I'm not holding any MSFT stock right now.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Yeah this online requirement is a killer.

it's a killer to serious adult gamers who read tech websites, it's not a killer at all to your average 12 year old who's going to have an Xbox One on their Christmas list this year.

The goal for MS is to make money, not make everyone happy. There's no doubt they've got some team of mathematicians crunching the numbers to figure out what's more financially beneficial... making everyone happy or making everyone connect. We can see what came out on top.

I don't know if this is the right decision, as MS has made plenty of mistakes over the years, but the Xbox and Kinect is something they've been very successful at. For all we know, this will give Sony the confidence to make a similar requirement.

2 people like this | Timonius Timonius said:

They're trying too hard to be like Apple, telling people what they want and need.

But on a more serious note and referring to the technical front. We are headed in an 'always connected' direction as a whole with every technological device out there. If you have a cell phone you are 'always connected'. Heck there are enough IPv6 addresses available that your toaster (and much much more!) can be 'always connected'. In a broadband-less community *cough*yellow submarine*cough* I'm sure they'll find a way for the Xbox One to phone home via wireless technologies. I just think Microsoft jumped the gun a bit.

In 5 years no one is going to care about this 'always connected' stuff since they really have no control over it. Unless they want to read good old fashioned paper books by candlelight in the middle of the wilderness...

6 people like this | Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

Now that's just what I like to do...called 'camping'.

treeski treeski said:

I don't think you're wrong, I just think it's a sad direction for technology. In the end, I'll probably end up buying one. Personally, I'd never buy a product from Sony.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've heard it is easy to just say no. lol

1 person liked this | amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

. Personally, I'd never buy a product from Sony.

Then your missing out big time. My PS2 slim was a great console and my PS3 (original 40GB) has been rock solid for years. God Of War 3 was worth the price of admission alone.

treeski treeski said:

I believe it. I've just never liked Sony much, and the way they handled the PSN hack pretty much ended any chance of me buying their products. Maybe in a few years if they redeem themselves...

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Your probably right, were going to hear more about that comment soon enough lol.

Yea because the internet requirement really enhances single player games as much as having shelter, and electricity for light enhances life.

Nicely done sir, nicely done.

fimbles fimbles said:

Still waiting for the punchline...

Wtf are microsoft playing at lately?

Boilerhog146 Boilerhog146 said:

Awesome, I'll just stick to not using my xbox 360 and piece of shite 3/4 and continue gaming on the pc /laptop ,for ever ,thanks M$ /$ony, you may leave now..nothing to see here.

Dustyn Dustyn said:

Microsoft doesn't understand it's customers nor know anything about how to be a game changer.

Or Vista?

Or Millenium?

Come to think of it, Windows versions seem to follow the Star Trek movie rule where every other iteration sucks.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Microsoft is all about "the Cloud." The Cloud = TOTAL CONTROL. Control over your choices, your personal stuff, your money, your gaming habits, your browsing habits, who you talk to and ultimately, total control to increase their prices every year forever! Choose to break free and tell Microsoft to shove it up their FAT CORPORATE A**!!

2 people like this | Hoho5000 said:

To me, the issue is more along the lines of it doesn't need to be always online. For some things, like MMOs, having to be online is a core requirement of the product. If you weren't online, you'd have no way to play the game. It would be impossible. Microsoft on the other hand is imposing the artificial restriction of always having to be online because... Well, I don't know. Just look at SimCity. What benefits do you get from having to be always online? Poor performance, glitchy server interaction, corrupted saves, and pointless DRM. I'll put it this way, I'd rather have a choice than be forced to be always online. Am I going to be "always online"? Probably. But if something happens, I don't want to be stuck with a $400 paper weight.

PS, I can already watch TV fine, and I don't need another device to be powered on just to watch TV.

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This tells the story perfectly.

1 person liked this | MrAnderson said:

Microsoft is playing ruff again. I don't know exactly how strongly worded given people are quoting an exec... but Microsoft seems like it does not want to fall behind again and instead this time they are not concerned with the beginning of the race. In a way I think they are smart for choosing their price point as much as it is less appealing to my buying senses.

I don't like phone home requirement no matter how infrequent it is; I think they will have the ability to refine this if it becomes a major issue, but I don't see them backing off. Nevertheless, even if we are talking PC gaming like Steam... I can play my games offline once I have downloaded and authenticated... no need to go online unless I want to access online features. So people have the right to be upset with MS, you have an alternative. Support Sony... as the market continues to mature, prices will go down and more people will have Internet toward the mid point of this generation cycle. Surely you see everyone trying to get rid of us being able to touch the game codes... as soon as they can get it working well.. it all will be streamed from this Cloud. But again... our infrastructure really needs some work and those prices have to come down.

Railman said:

Loads of folks make the comment that people buy the XBO for their 12, year olds and are not bothered by the always on Internet. I am looking forward to all the consumer TV programmes when those folks complain about the device not working!

1 person liked this | TheBigFatClown said:

Let me try and translate this bit of news for those who don't speak the new Microsoft language.

"We are releasing our XBox One with anti-piracy measures that will require an always online connection that will phone home at least once every 24 hours. You don't like it? Hehehehe. Can you hear this? Do you want us to turn it up!".

I hope Microsoft goes down in flames for no other reason than their 'attitude' alone towards their customers. That's it.

I rarely purchase game consoles anymore. My brother-in-law purchased the Playstation 1, the Playstation 2, and the Playstation 3.

I will make sure personally that he doesn't get anywhere near the piece of **** XBox One with all my intellectual might. Of course, it's not like people really have to be swayed to purchase a Playstation system. They always have been pretty good. And I have been very impressed with the PS3.

Why will I recommend to everyone I know to purchase a PS4 over an XBox One? Your ***** anti-consumer attitude alone Microsoft. Your anti-consumer statements have a very foul stench which makes me wanna puke.

Good luck Microsoft, your gonna need it.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

That's a petty and arrogant stance for MS to take.

Heh, you're referring to the statement some female MS rep said about Windows 8? How people should suck it up?

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It was more the "deal-with-it" statement that came to mind.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

This guy is nuckin futs. Built by gamers for gamers my a$$. I want to see these gamers all together and explain why they need always on connection to the net.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Its a suicidal attempt to combat piracy and the used games market loss of sales...I smell an about face or Xbox One point One Zero in Microsoft's future but by then it maybe too late. If I were into console games I'd be buying a PS4 hand down...

1 person liked this | TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

I Pre-Ordered a PS4 today Microsoft, thank you!

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Time for Sony to rise again.

VrsTech VrsTech said:

NooOOoo Ms you say you buy a PS4 and why because its almost the same hardware..

Boilerhog146 Boilerhog146 said:

My ps3 was virtually new have like 4 games for it and a bunch of blue rays ,they wanted 150 bucks for a refurb,when the blueray quit during a movie I now use it ,for target practice.. use a pc now for bluerays..never buy sony crap again

1 person liked this | Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Well 60% of Australians have broadband. I.e. 40% do not have the minimum requirements for an XBone. PS4 on the other hand has no such restriction and can therefore be used by 100% of the market.

Approximately 37% of USA residents do not have broadband as of Aug 2012. Again, close to 40% of the market excluded from being able to use an XBone.

Who exactly did the market research for this?

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Agreed ms taking a bad route to be honest always online is not an issue to me as I only play online but for the many people without it?? maybe they should include the broadband requirement with the system should cover the extra $$ there asking for the system...face it tho ps4 be winning this race they only be a batch of the hardcore xbox fanatics, ive had both 360/ps3 and didnt mind playing either deciding point was majority of friends on ps3 platform.

1 person liked this | treetops treetops said:

Yeah this online requirement is a killer.

When I was 12 I really liked trading games with my friends. And bringing my system to other friends houses, the internet connection thing might become annoying if your staying somewhere over the weekend.

1 person liked this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Who exactly did the market research for this?

A Monkey in a Microsoft T-Shirt! Or Steve Job's Ghost? That would make sense actually, Steve would look like he's giving them a direction while inadvertently destroying his rival! lol

2 people like this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

Stevie reincarnated into a Microsoft protegee? - time to run for cover...

Blurry before, it now starts shaping up what my next rig will look like. I see................

ah......

A garbage bin, full of bathroom tiles in it.... Oh jee, that's Windows 8.1 installed on the new Mac Pro...

Scary stuff....

3 people like this | Tygerstrike said:

Once MS made thier first official anouncment, Sony won the game. All Sony had to do was NOT what MS did to win the market share. AND GUESS WHAT!!!! Sony did exactly that. I cannot fathom how MS doesnt hear its consumers. I mean the adult gamer, some like me from the begining of Arcade games, like having the options that both offline play give you and used games give you. How many times have you been talking with a freind and they say "You really need to play XX game!". You trust your buddy so you run down and hit the game store only to find the game is no longer in print. Youre only option is to buy it used. Does this bother me?? NOPE!!!! Not even concerned one bit. Its a used game. Its not like "used" underware. Or a "Used" hamburger. Its just data on a disc that I CAN buy because New no longer exists. I get to still play the game, possibly get my buddy to come over and play as well. I support my local economy, keeping ppl in their jobs, and I probably put a preorder down when I picked up my used game. (L4D3!! yes pls). Point is MS demands the always online to combat used games. And lets face it, MS has never really had to worry about piracy on its gaming devision. So basically they want to kill thier own market!! Used games generate roughly 3 billion in sales per year. Its part and parcel of the 6-7 billion in revenue that is the gaming market. I think MS is trying to be as GREEDY as they can. They attempt to kill a market that they get nothing from but uses its products. Used games was a GAMER invention. We got tired of spend money on a cartridge game just to beat it and have it sit. We traded with our friends. Eventually one of our friends made a business out of it.

Thank the heavens that Sony didnt try and F*ck its customers over. They listened. Now they will get my money when I upgrade to a new system. MS can go do to itself what its attempting to do to us!!!

1 person liked this | RH00D RH00D said:

Who exactly did the market research for this?

I'm not defending Microsoft, but you also have to consider, how many of those 40% of people would have even bought an Xbox even if it were offline-compatible? Most people who don't have broadband are probably elders or people who are too poor to afford an Xbox anyway, or just don't care about video games. Sure there will be some people and scenarios that are legit, but you can't 100% of the people no matter what you do.