Microsoft exec says gamers without Internet can stick with Xbox 360

Dave LeClair

Microsoft recently announced that its upcoming Xbox One would require an Internet connection every 24 hours in order to work. This, along with the $499 price tag and their stance on used games, has left the gaming community at least a little angry. For some it comes down to more than just anger, as the requirement could actually prevent them from playing games. After all, there are plenty of places where broadband is not available.

Xbox executive Don Mattrick has a solution: stick with the Xbox 360.

In an interview with Spike TV at this year's E3 conference, Mattrick said, "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity. It's called Xbox 360." 

microsoft internet xbox xbox 360 next gen console xbox one

The new Xbox 360 design unveiled at E3 2013

At this point the interviewer jumped in and said, "So stick with 360, that's your message?" To which Mattrick responded, "Well, if you have zero access to the Internet, that [360] is an offline device." He then points to an example he read in a blog comment from someone who serves on a nuclear sub. "I don't even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub, but I've got to imagine that it's not easy to get an Internet connection."

It's not as if Microsoft is abandoning the 360 outright. The company has big plans to keep supporting the console going forward, and it actually just released an updated version of the device at the start of E3.

This might keep some players content, but many are not going to be happy to stick with last generation's system, and they are going to want to upgrade. This puts Sony in a great spot as the PlayStation 4 works without Internet, and it offers all the next generation capabilities gamers are looking for.

(Fast forward to 1:45 to listen the Don Mattrick's response in full context).

Permalink to story.

In other words continue forward with Microsoft or stay stuck in the past. You know thats exactly the same mentality that I had against the release of Windows 8. This mindset is the type that kills a company. I honestly do not think Microsoft is so large that their business cannot be severely ruined.

Does Microsoft actually have a God like complex and believe they are so big, there will be no repercussions?

I think MS should have upgraded the 360 a bit more, then they have the right to talk like that. Upgrade a bit more than the look and cooling. Maybe add a bit more memory, the new kinect and the new controller to the bundle. Then they can say "stick with the Xbox 360". But in the state the 360 is now, this means nothing.

That's a petty and arrogant stance for MS to take.
Just wait, in a few days MS will come forward. At which time they will state, he wasn't speaking with their best interest and apologize for any hard feelings. Or possible deny the fact he was representing MS at all.

It is going to be just a lot of fun to see how this shakes out. Come for a ride in my Edsel..we'll stop at HoJo's and grab a couple of New Cokes..and then go check these out at CompUSA.
What fun!!

You think Microsoft would of learned from the Metro debacle. Like with Windows 8, Microsoft don't care what their customers want. Gamers are a unique breed, ones you don't want to piss off. It's not going to matter if Microsoft has good games, gamers are going to choose what's good. Xbox don't look like a good deal all the way around. Compared with the PS4, the Xbox One is slower, no DVD player, can't play single player games offline, can't play rented games, used games restrictions, etc...

Just wait, in a few days MS will come forward. At which time they will state, he wasn't speaking with their best interest and apologize for any hard feelings. Or possible deny the fact he was representing MS at all.
The guy may already be lying in a ditch...

What the hell is going on with MS with "our way" attitude...haven't they learned anything from Win8?

Yeah this online requirement is a killer.

it's a killer to serious adult gamers who read tech websites, it's not a killer at all to your average 12 year old who's going to have an Xbox One on their Christmas list this year.

The goal for MS is to make money, not make everyone happy. There's no doubt they've got some team of mathematicians crunching the numbers to figure out what's more financially beneficial... making everyone happy or making everyone connect. We can see what came out on top.

I don't know if this is the right decision, as MS has made plenty of mistakes over the years, but the Xbox and Kinect is something they've been very successful at. For all we know, this will give Sony the confidence to make a similar requirement.

They're trying too hard to be like Apple, telling people what they want and need.

But on a more serious note and referring to the technical front. We are headed in an 'always connected' direction as a whole with every technological device out there. If you have a cell phone you are 'always connected'. Heck there are enough IPv6 addresses available that your toaster (and much much more!) can be 'always connected'. In a broadband-less community *cough*yellow submarine*cough* I'm sure they'll find a way for the Xbox One to phone home via wireless technologies. I just think Microsoft jumped the gun a bit.

In 5 years no one is going to care about this 'always connected' stuff since they really have no control over it. Unless they want to read good old fashioned paper books by candlelight in the middle of the wilderness...

it's a killer to serious adult gamers who read tech websites, it's not a killer at all to your average 12 year old who's going to have an Xbox One on their Christmas list this year.

The goal for MS is to make money, not make everyone happy. There's no doubt they've got some team of mathematicians crunching the numbers to figure out what's more financially beneficial... making everyone happy or making everyone connect. We can see what came out on top.

I don't know if this is the right decision, as MS has made plenty of mistakes over the years, but the Xbox and Kinect is something they've been very successful at. For all we know, this will give Sony the confidence to make a similar requirement.

I don't think you're wrong, I just think it's a sad direction for technology. In the end, I'll probably end up buying one. Personally, I'd never buy a product from Sony.

Then your missing out big time. My PS2 slim was a great console and my PS3 (original 40GB) has been rock solid for years. God Of War 3 was worth the price of admission alone.

I believe it. I've just never liked Sony much, and the way they handled the PSN hack pretty much ended any chance of me buying their products. Maybe in a few years if they redeem themselves...

Your probably right, were going to hear more about that comment soon enough lol.

Back