Facebook officially announces support for hashtags

By on June 12, 2013, 1:26 PM
facebook, twitter, hashtags, instagram, social network

Facebook on Wednesday announced official support for hashtags after a successful run on other services like Instagram and Twitter. They’ve become a “vital part of popular culture” and since they’re already used organically on the social network anyway, they decided to make them a true feature.

In a blog post on the topic, Facebook said hashtags will now be clickable. This will allow users to see a feed of what other people are saying about a particular event or topic. Furthermore, users will now be able to search for a specific hashtag from the search bar, click on hashtags that originate from other services like Instagram and compose posts directly from the hashtag feed and search results.

The social network points out that, like always, users will be able to control the audience for a post, even when using hashtags.

We’re told that hashtags are just the first step in helping people more easily discover what others are talking about with regards to a specific topic or event. They plan to roll out more features in the coming weeks and months such as trending hashtags and deeper insights.

Rumors surfaced back in March that Facebook would be implementing hashtags, a feature that was made famous in 2007. If you aren’t familiar, hashtags are words or phrases that are prefixed with the # symbol and are used to group together all posts about a similar event or topic.

2 people like this | psycros psycros said:

I bet all the kids think this is genius, having no idea their just reinventing IRC.

1 person liked this | Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

Rather have my usenet back..

Dustyn Dustyn said:

?vital part of popular culture?... oh good grief... I can't believe this is popular news.

1 person liked this | St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Here we go... if only people knew how to use hashtags properly. Commence FB posts with:

#justchillindrinkingbeer

#wowwhatacutie

#doilookfatinthese?

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

#justchillindrinkingbeer

#wowwhatacutie

#doilookfatinthese?

Just wait for these:

#enteringbathroom

#itsmellsinhere

#flushingthetoilet

#turningthedoorknob90degreeslikeaboss

LOL

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Oh thank God! Now I can send the fireman with the net home, along with the suicide prevention negotiators, and just come inside from the 12th floor ledge I was about to jump off.

To paraphrase Patrick Henry, "#givemehashtags, or #givemedeath"!

1 person liked this | St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

#YOLOSWAG is the only acceptable hashtag IMO. But only if you use it ironically.. and aren't a hipster.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Wouldn't admitting that you know what that even means, be tantamount to admitting to being a closet hipster? Or maybe an ironically closeted hipster?

Did we need to see that twice, or did the server trick you with the, "server did not respond in time, please try again, #gotcha"?.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Ha, the irony is strong here.

I also only see 1x my post, not two?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Staff prolly pulled the 2nd one. Either that or my browser is trolling me again.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Yes, it's very weird.

#trollingbrowserorstaffwewillneverknow

mailpup mailpup said:

Your browser must be trolling you then.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Your browser must be trolling you then.
This box is IGP, maybe it forgot to overwrite the screen......

Truthfully, this computer and Firefox put their heads together and come up with some of the most creative video crashes you'll ever see.

The screen will go totally black, but you'll see one element. Then you run your mouse all over the screen, and the page fills in....:eek:

But, the end is nigh when you get to that point.......And the next thing you know......you see wallpaper......:oops:

But wait, there's more! Firefox apologizes for the crash, and offers to restore your pages. So I mutter to the dialog box, "this I gotta see ***** ******, I been browsing in "private mode"....."

#maybeishouldinstallopera

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm not interested in Facebook or Hashtags.

I was however interested in what @captaincranky had to say on the subject.

2 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I'm not interested in Facebook or Hashtags.

I was however interested in what @captaincranky had to say on the subject.

#iwassohappyipoopedmypants

Should I invest my life savings in facebook shares now or what?........