Last Call: Google Reader Dies Monday, Here Are The Best Alternatives

By on June 29, 2013, 1:14 AM

With Google Reader nearing its imminent death, a race to build the perfect alternative for the service's refugees has been taking shape over the last few weeks. Even though there are dozens of alternatives already out there, if you care about cross-platform compatibility and synchronization across different devices for things like read and favorited items, then your options are a little more limited than you'd imagine.

Google feels RSS is no longer as important as it used to considering how the average internet user receives his fix of interesting links and news via social networks -- most of the time not through their social network, though.

But for millions of professionals that need that constant stream of information, from manually selected sources rather than algorithms or shared links, RSS is a big deal. Journalists, bloggers, programmers, researchers, students, tech savvy people, among others, fall into this group. It's a niche product, but still a big niche.

Read the complete guide.

Lifebuoy and symbol of RSS image by Shutterstock.

DrGee said:

Gents, the search function was the most important one for me in Google Reader, are there any replacement for that a) for free b) paid one? thanx

The Old Reader for whatever reason was not mentioned, and it's pretty good.

EmirSc EmirSc said:

I'm using feedly the only problem so far is that it hasn't got a search option like google reader

Thunderbird has a search function. It's a local client, but I just imported my google reader subscriptions and it downloaded stuff from 2001, so I don't think there's a big chance of missing feeds unless the feeder drops them more frequently than you check.

JC713 JC713 said:

Newsify + Feedly Cloud = Love <3.

I tried Newsblur, Digg Reader, and Feedbin (paid). They are all trash IMO. The reason I hate them is because I like to skim my feeds (I get hundreds a day) and read the relevant/nice articles. That is where RSS kind stinks. Feedly + Newsify puts the feeds in a nice organized fashion so that I can skim my feed quickly.

Loving NewsBlur. It feels like Google Reader, with a prettier interface.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I never used Google Reader, but I used iGoogle extensively, and this dies November 1. I've switched to Protopage for now, which isn't bad. I've yet to migrate all my RSS feeds though (mainly the Ars Technica ones are missing).

I have yet to find a Windows equivalent to Vienna on the Mac ... been looking for years; it's the only thing which keeps a Mac in my stable of laptops & PC's ... won't miss Google Reader, but I'd sure like a Windows version of Vienna!

With all the commotion about Google Reader, I now have my feeds on The Old Reader, CommaFeed, and Feedly.

I went with NewsBlur also. They've really improved it a lot over the past several months. Both the web interface and the mobile app work great now.

pulpark pulpark said:

Hi, has anyone used the Bundle from Google Reader? I can't seem to find this feature in any of the alternatives. Basically it allows the creation of a new RSS feed from a Bundle, or folder, that contains a group of other RSS feeds from many sources.