Weekend Open Forum: Summer blockbusters that'll get you to the theater

By on July 5, 2013, 6:30 PM

With dozens of bombastic hundred-million-dollar productions rattling theater walls, summer always brings some of the year's hottest blockbusters -- a fresh comic book adaptation surely among them -- and things are no different in 2013 as millions pay to see Man of Steel, The Lone Ranger, World War Z, Monsters University, White House Down and plenty of other titles on the big screen.

For this week's WOF, we want to hear about your summer 2013 movie experiences and plans -- assuming you've been recently or intend to see something soon. If you don't plan to hit the theaters over the coming months, what's stopping you from going? I haven't been to a theater in a few years but I'm thinking about trying to catch World War Z at some point shortly after I finish the book.

CrisisDog said:

Two toddlers, a newborn, and a significant other that doesn't like sci-fi movies has kept me home. Just saw Iron Man 3 last weekend. Gonna try for the new Star Trek too, but that doesn't look too hopeful...

Dawn1113 said:

Definitely "World War Z "and this little movie with a rather interesting title, "Cockneys vs Zombies." Both just for the fun of it.

Also "Byzantium" and maybe "Hammer of the Gods."

1 person liked this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Went and saw World War Z last weekend. If you're expecting something similar to the book, forget it. The only commonality is that the book has zombies and the movie has zombies. That's it. I give it a C+. FX were good, but the movie had production problems from start to finish and it showed. Very choppy plot and the ending was just plain dumb. Unless you're a total zombie junkie, I'd hold off until it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray.

No other movies coming up that I'm really interested in. Too many sequels to movies that weren't that good to begin with and seems like Hollywood is only interested in churning out "Fast and Furious" type movies with a ton of FX, explosions, but no plot or decent acting.

EEatGDL said:

Well, I still have mixed taste: I watched Man of Steel last weekend, watching Monster University tomorrow and Despicable Me 2 next weekend -last two with my family, if I had the money I would have watched Star Trek. I want to watch Pacific Rim too, but "wanting doesn't get".

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm patiently waiting for Avatar II & III. I'm not real big on zombie movies.

misor misor said:

I'm patiently waiting for Avatar II & III. I'm not real big on zombie movies.

Aang, the Avatar?

or Jake, the other Avatar?

I saw Star Trek Out of Darkness in May. Good movie. I liked it and so did my friends who I saw it with. Saw Man of Steel in June. I liked it, really good movie. The following week I saw World War Z. I was hoping for more action but I'd say overall it was good, not great though. I'd give it a B+ rating. It was more of a documentary about how a person could become a Zombie or as the movie calls them Z's. One person liked it more than Man of Steel. He liked it more cause there was more realism in WWZ than Man of Steel.

*note* Don't waste your money on the 3D versions. Most of these movies are not good in 3D. You hardly see any depth. I think the biggest part of 3D was in Star Trek but was during the ending credits showing the planets. Now that was cool. Sadly that was the highlight. Unless ur seeing these movies in a iMax Theater, don't waste your money on 3D that is only converted which is why it's almost non existant.

I may go see Pacific Rim. We'll see. More than likely going to see Turbo with my son.

1 person liked this | LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Saw Despicable Me 2 tonight with the fam - pretty good movie. I enjoyed it at least as much as the kids did.

JC713 JC713 said:

I saw World War Z the other day. Not as good as the book, but pretty good.

1 person liked this | dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Also "Byzantium" and maybe "Hammer of the Gods."

Cockney's vs Zombies is a hoot - lightweight but fun. Hammer of the Godzzzzzzzz is pretty formulaic and a chock-full-O- stereotypes kind of picture IMO. If you're into the Vikings storylines then the History Channel's Vikings series is pretty good, and Valhalla Rising (with the always excellent Mads Mikkelsen) I thought was awesome.

I'm looking forward to checking out "The World's End" (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost), Elysium, and if it ever gets picked up for major distribution, "Radio Free Albemuth". Oh, and maybe "Pacific Rim" IF Charlie Hunnams' giant robot does the bro walk - looks like a comedy classic from the trailers.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Aang, the Avatar?

or Jake, the other Avatar?

Jake Sully, the Avatar

1 person liked this | Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Theaters are too loud, too cold, too expensive, and I find that the size of the screens make it hard to focus on the entire picture. I'm am the quintessential party pooper and will not be going to the movies any time soon.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Waiting for Pacific Rim. Despicable Me 2 was pretty good.

Razer said:

Haven't read the book, but the world war Z is pretty good (looking forward to read the book)..

IMHO, I think Man of Steel isn't perfect, but it's a good movie.

Now, I'm waiting for Pacific Rim

Look out for the new movie "Attack of the Killer H," it's coming to a techspot post in a theatHer near you!

Spykezxp Spykezxp said:

This summer there are a couple movies to go see:

Man of Steel, World War Z, Pacific Rim, The Wolverine, The Lone Ranger.

With so many to chose from, probably not going to make it to all of them. Prices for the movies are way too high in my opinion.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Pacific Rim is the only blockbuster I'm looking forward to. If I get a chance I might see Monsters University and Despicable Me 2.

Railman said:

Most of the blockbuster movies seem to revolve around superheroes. It would be nice if they had a few decent scfi movies. Unfortunately there have been few decent scfi movies since the childish Star Wars. Frankly if you want to see serious scfi TV is the only option.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

If the theater screen was LCD (maybe with 4K res here we'll see them?) and not projection, I'd go more. And if the loud parts weren't insanely loud and the quiet parts weren't insanely quiet.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

To be perfectly honest, nothing. The last movie I watched was Saving Private Ryan. I simply have no interest in movies at all.

Railman said:

Most of the films I have had to go to see was for the benefit of my daughter. By far the worse movie was Jungle Book 2.

Tanstar said:

I've thoroughly enjoyed Man of Steel and Monster's University so far (and Iron Man 3 and Star Trek earlier). Still hoping to see World War Z, Despicable Me 2, Lone Ranger, and possibly a few others. Local drive-in shows two new movies for $7, so, if the weather is good, I see quite a few.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

World War Z, has some good effects but the story-line should be better.. Might want to skip that and wait for Netflix of Redbox rentals.

Star Trek movie not doing so good as they had hope. Fans expect more but Hollywood thinks we can settle for less.

After Earth movie was a sleeper at best! You'll got to sleep during this movie.

Man of Steel kinda of new story-line in this one different way of doing the movie and effects are very good. It can get good then bad then good, some good actors in this one but to me the DC cartoon versions out on video are 100% better and don't make you want to take a nap in the movie.

Oblivion, was something odd but story-line had you guessing but in the end you find out the truth. Special effects were very good and actors did a good job keeping you interested in the story. This one would make a good rental or wait for Netflix to go see it.

Fast & Furious 6, good on the special effects and story-line and the entire movie was very good if you like car chasing than this is the movie for you! If you don't then this one would be a rental for you.

Renrew Renrew said:

Debbie does the Eastern Block.

Should be a Hummm-Dinger.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Will this thread still be open when this summer's "blockbusters" hit "Redbox"? If so, can I get back to you on this?

I'm "intrigued" by the 3D FX extravaganza they're pushing at the moment, "Pacific Rim".

This looks like "Robot Jox", meets "Godzilla". It should be worth a buck twenty to stink up the house with, come November or December.

I don't want to give the impression I'm hard to please. Any thing without Kirsten Dunst altogether, or Julia Stiles in a starring role would make me happy.

Unless Jennifer Lawrence suffers an "all you can eat pasta night", binge/relapse, I'd probably go see almost any thing with her in it.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

That Pacific Rim reminds me of the Power Rangers or the old Voltron days. The White House Down looks interesting, got to see that one!

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Pacific Rim is Neon Genesis if I'm not mistaken. Eva Program (Project Eva) kind of gave it away.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Neon Genesis oh that yeah could be just don't know when it releases.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Pacific Rim is Neon Genesis if I'm not mistaken. Project Eva kind of gave it away.
After a bit of research I'm inclined to agree.

That notwithstanding, I'll rephrase myself. "Neon Genesis Evangelion" (1997), is "Robot Jox" meets "Godzilla".

Godzilla @ 1954 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla

Robot Jox @ 1989: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Jox

Both predate "Neon Genesis", by decades. Granted it's conceptual cut and paste. But, George Lucas openly admitted that the "Krell machine", in "Forbidden Planet", ((1956) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet ) was his inspiration for the reactor core of the, "Death Star". The plot of, "Forbidden Planet" was heavily adapted from Shakespeare's, "The Tempest", which predates all of the foregoing by at least four centuries.

It would be interesting to know where "Robot Jox" draws its seminal inspiration from, as animation seems likely due to scale and ease of production.

I guess what it boils down to is this; there's nothing really new under the sun. Just bigger, louder, more lifelike diversions, with a much higher ticket price....

How can you not have enough money to spend $5 on an early weekend showing? That's what I do. I've seen all the new movies before 11am, because Marcus Theatres here in WI is only $5 for a movie before 11am. It is freaking great!

$5 for a movie is too expensive?

Railman said:

It is not just the cost of entry. It is now over £10 just to see the movie and they charge a premium for 3D. If you buy drinks and food that costs a lot also. Factor in the cost of transport and getting a meal that can be a substantial cost. Is it any wonder folks wait for films to be released on DVD. We often rent movies from the library for £2.50.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

$5 for a movie is too expensive?

Right, I should move to Wisconsin so I can see movies for five bucks. I'd also lay money on the fact your car insurance is less than mine here in the big city....

Besides, who gets up at the crack of eleven in the morning anyway?

Oh, and before I forget, you can keep those winters!

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Lot lower end theaters around for seniors, kids and students get in cheaper. If know someone at those place you can get in for free also. Prices for a ticket can range from $5, $10, $15, $20, best to find a new friend and get in for free!

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If you ever want thousands of new best friends, start working a movie theater ticket booth. lol

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Yeah right! Start thinking like a tick and go looking for a dog.

Saintnsinner said:

Hollywood has totally lost every bit of originality and imagination. All they pump out is remakes, rehashes, sequels, and prequels. Couple that with Hollywood's cookie cutter, politically correct, anti-American, anti-hero, socialistic bullshit idealism and you get what you have now, total crap. Add the fact I can watch movies in 65" high def surround sound in the comfort of my own living room while having a cocktail and a sandwich, and I'd have to say, no, there's nothing I'll be gong to the movies to see anytime soon.

Lionvibez said:

You haven't seen a movie since 1998 are you serious?

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

You haven't seen a movie since 1998 are you serious?

Absolutely. I used to watch movies when I was younger although it was never my favourite pastime. As I've got older I'd rather watch sports & documentaries on TV. I don't think I've been in a cinema since '95.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

White House Down, very good movie! Comedy (lots of funny lines), Lots of Non-Stop Action and lots of who did what to who in the plots. But in all one of the better movies so far to go and see.

Going to check out the new release on B-ray 7/9 "The Host" about alien invading the planet.

Lionvibez said:

I commend you.

You missed both The Matrix and The lord of the rings triliogy's which I thought was worth every dollar.

Actually there was alot.

loved Tron in 2010.

And I just saw Man of steel opening weekend that was good.

I know they release alot of crap these days but I don't think I could hold out that long.

1 person liked this | treetops treetops said:

Kept out spoilers

iv seen these in the last month

star trek, ok I guess 7/10

world war z 7/10, everyone at the theater was laughing at how stupid the zombies were made in the last half. literally the whole theater laughed at the sight of the zombies and their dumb bird noises, human cannibals are scary enough, no need to make them act like raptors and sound like parrots.... ( I love zombies)

fast and the furious 6, I thought it was good, 8/10. it had the original actors, the last one I saw was the first one.

Iron man 3, 6/10, not enough action, crappy story full of holes

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

LMBO

"after earth 6/10, was boring and I wanted to ***** slap will smiths little kid, he was annoying, when it ended I was relieved I could get up and go"

..of course it's boring, because it's M Night Shyamalan's works :D

and it's not only you who wants to slap that kid

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Wait the movie "The Heat" was really bad, it had some funny moments but the acting was like going to a bar and watch the crowd have a fight. The swearing in this movie is really over done though. If you have kids don't bring to this movie.

Highlights:

Sandra Bullock

She looks old and wore out in this movie, and too me she looks like she didn't like the script either.

Melissa McCarthy

Trying to be a tough woman and the swearing gutter mouth she has and non-respect for others really makes her look bad on the screen. But then again it's movie but the worst one too add to the rest of the pile this year for 2013.

Just bad acting on both these two ladies, just don't under stand how the director / producers of this movie thought this was a funny comedy for everyone.

Next up is Despicable Me 2 not by choice but the GF wants to go see it..