Motorola to unveil Moto X smartphone at August 1 event in New York

By on July 20, 2013, 12:00 PM

Motorola’s first major release under Google’s ownership looms near as the company recently sent out media invitations to an August 1 event in New York. Unlike cryptic invitations from Apple that are open to interpretation, Motorola made no effort to hide what they plan to reveal on the first of the month – the Moto X smartphone.

One source claiming to have used the handset told The Verge it features a display that’s roughly 4.5-inches in size and is powered by a dual-core 1.7GHz Snapdragon MSM8960T processor, 2GB of system memory and has a removable Kevlar rear shell. Additional rumors from around the web point to 16GB of internal flash memory, a front-facing 2-megapixel camera and a 10-megapixel rear camera – all running Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2.

As you can probably tell by the specs, the device isn’t exactly a powerhouse. Instead, Motorola is expected to push the customizable smartphone as a more affordable alternative to other handsets like the Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S4.

Many believe Motorola will rely on innovative software features as a key selling point for the phone. There are several reports of an “always-on” listening mode which will recognize voice commands after the user says “OK Google Now.” It’s worth mentioning that this feature will be disabled by default for privacy concerns.

Other software features include the ability to launch the camera app with the flick of your wrist and a summary of recent notifications when you pick up the phone after it has been idle for a while.

JC713 JC713 said:

It looks to me like a mix of a Droid DNA and the HTC One.

veLa veLa said:

Seems like a nice device but I'm shocked at the lack of a quad core.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

RIP Motorola Razz Max and HD models.. I still like using mine. This one looks more like Samsung model.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

I already hate the X for that stupid curved back just like the HTC One. Horrible, horrible design choices.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Seems like a nice device but I'm shocked at the lack of a quad core.
I'm not, I like my devices to last more than 8 hours.

veLa veLa said:

Seems like a nice device but I'm shocked at the lack of a quad core.
I'm not, I like my devices to last more than 8 hours.

That's a strange observation on battery life. I've gotten my Galaxy S4, which has a quad core processor, to last well over 24 hours on one charge.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I'm talking about heavy use. Music,Video and 5-6 hours of talk time.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I like the look of this blower. I much prefer mid range devices to range topping things. It's the same experience for much less $$$.