Facebook improves News Feed, recycles older posts with Story Bumping

By on August 6, 2013, 6:15 PM
facebook, algorithm, social network, news feed, story bumping, posts, stories

Facebook is once again making changes to their News Feed algorithm to make sure you don’t miss out on any important posts from your friends. In the event that you didn’t scroll down far enough in your News Feed, a new feature known as “Story Bumping” will automatically relocate relevant stories that you might not have gotten to back to the top of your feed.

The social network said a recent test with a small number of users found the change resulted in a five percent increase in the number of likes, comments and shares on organic stories people saw from friends and an eight percent increase in likes, comments and shares from Pages.

Furthermore, the average person only reads 57 percent of the stories in their News Feed. The other 43 percent of stories went unseen at the bottom of the feed. With the change, the average user is now seeing 70 percent of stories.

Facebook is looking to be a bit more transparent about changes made to the News Feed at the request of select users and Page owners. In its early days, users simply saw every update from every friend in their list but as the number of users continued to swell over the years, that method was no longer practical.

Zuckerberg and company eventually implemented a complex algorithm to handle the task of selecting which stories would show up in a feed based on what they believe the user would be most interested in. As such, the social network is starting a new blog series dedicated to News Feed changes. Today’s announcement of Story Bumping is the first post in that new series, we’re told.

Story Bumping is rolling out today to Facebook users as a behind-the-scenes update.




User Comments: 5

Got something to say? Post a comment
ikesmasher said:

I dont want to see the "important" stories seeing as I dont really care about 90% of the people on my friends list. Am I the only person who just wants A.) my news feed to be in chronological order and B.) non buggy chat/online status? thats all I want from facebook...

ItsMeCyndi ItsMeCyndi said:

I would like to see an "I Support This" or "I hate this" button as opposed to a "like" button.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

I guess they don't have anything better else to do is just fiddle with the core. It's okay as it is now. Keep changing it might lead to Exodus!

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

So now all the annoying girls on my page stories will be bumped to the top by annoying hopefuls commenting her, I hope this feature can be disabled.

MadCityObserver MadCityObserver said:

The algorithm that needs an urgent rewrite is the one that selects people to be displayed on my "Welcome" page's "Add people you know" list. As a Caucasian male I wonder why the list I'm presented with is unfailingly dominated by black females who aren't from my home town, who didn't attend my high school or university, who reside nowhere close to where I now live, who share none of my interests, and who typically appear to be fifty years my junior.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Well there are issues with how face book finds friends and what type of friends it finds for your. That needs serious rework of the code. If I time James Brown in SC in finds all the James Brown all over the system. That's not what I was looking for. Like it can't find the right person.

This timeline addition is not really needed. No one ever goes to it, so it no much use too me. I use but I still have to point people to it.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.