Razer launches Tartarus gaming keypad ahead of Gamescom

By on August 15, 2013, 5:30 PM

Razer on Thursday launched a new membrane gaming keypad known as the Razer Tartarus. The niche accessory, which will serve as the successor to the Razer Nostromo, features 15 face buttons with 25 programmable keys as well as an eight-way directional thumb pad.

The gaming specialist points out that the thumb pad will allow players to move with more precision while at the same time doubling as a modifier key. This effectively multiplies the keyset count by eight, resulting in a total of 128 different command options. Anti-ghosting and a braided USB cable come standard and with backlit keys, gaming in low-light conditions shouldn’t present any problems.

The unit features eight key maps that can be switched between on-the-fly. What’s more, the Tartarus allows for unlimited macro lengths and unlimited game profiles through Razer’s proprietary Synapse 2.0 software. This software allows gamers to save custom profiles and sync them from anywhere via the cloud.

Aesthetically, the Tartarus looks to have more in common with the Orbweaver than the $70 Nostromo. The former device launched back in January just ahead of CES priced at $130 but can be found for roughly $30 less than retail if you look around hard enough.

The Razer Tartarus is available as of writing through the company’s online store or a number of worldwide partners for $79.99. The timing of the release doesn’t appear to be by accident, either, as Gamescom is scheduled to kick off next week and we’ll no doubt see a lot of game-related announcement during the show.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Ew, green, and no scroll wheel? Seems like a cut down version of the Nostromo.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Ew, green, and no scroll wheel? Seems like a cut down version of the Nostromo.

You know, I never could figure out why to use the scroll wheel on the Nostromo. I probably should have, but my particular pad had pretty high tension on it and I didn't ever use it.

This item needed an upgrade though, I always thought it was great, and the price never seemed to go down, which meant they must have been selling ok. As far as I know the Nostromo never had real Win 7 drivers, so the razer version will probably sell ok. Even in green.

1 person liked this | TheBigFatClown said:

Does this come with a free tube of toothpaste to get rid of the tartar?

1 person liked this | LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Ew, green, and no scroll wheel? Seems like a cut down version of the Nostromo.

I still have my nostromo, got it from bestbuy 5 years back for 25 bucks.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Ew, green, and no scroll wheel? Seems like a cut down version of the Nostromo.

I still have my nostromo, got it from bestbuy 5 years back for 25 bucks.

Can you still get your money back? It's worth a shot.

Direphoenix Direphoenix said:

Ew, green, and no scroll wheel? Seems like a cut down version of the Nostromo.

The scroll wheel on the Nostromo is useful for games that require a throttle. The Tartarus feels really great in the hand, but without that scroll wheel, it does not suit my needs.