Microsoft to shutter Games for Windows Live marketplace on August 22nd

By on August 16, 2013, 3:00 PM
microsoft, xbox, microsoft points, windows live, pc, games

Microsoft will be putting an end to the Xbox.com PC marketplace on August 22, as confirmed by the company’s official support page. The announcement also reiterated the fact that the Microsoft Points system will be retired on the same day; a move that was first made public during E3.

The reasoning for the transition is rather simple: they are modernizing the current purchasing methods with plans to convert previous funds into local currency, amidst a new Xbox 360 system update. As of late, Microsoft has been making a few adjustments in an effort to ready themselves for the Xbox One launch. One such change is the removal of Xbox Live Gold Family Packs, slated to vanish on August 27.

The latest announcement inevitably means that Games for Windows Live users will be restricted from purchasing new titles; however, previously owned games will still be playable through the client software.

For console gamers, the phased-out Microsoft Points will be conveniently replaced with an equivalent amount of cash on your Live account. Unfortunately, PC gamers might want to spend all of their points prior to the August 22 deadline; without a PC marketplace, leftover funds are essentially useless.

Interestingly, the shuttering of Games for Windows Live was announced shortly after the hiring of Jason Holtman, a veteran employee for Valve’s Steam digital distribution platform. He will lead Microsoft’s PC gaming and entertainment division, working with developers to bring their titles to the platform.

lipe123 said:

Who exactly used games for windows live on pc?!

This is the first time ever I've even heard of it and its about to close, no surprise there!

In steam we trust!

General Sam General Sam said:

Who exactly used games for windows live on pc?

I enjoyed using it for the achievement system as I play on Xbox 360, I like using my PC with my profile. That is the ONLY reason

1 person liked this | SolarisGuru SolarisGuru said:

I wish it would just go away completely. I hate buying a game on Steam and having to use a GFWL account on top of it. Yuck.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Not too surprising, Microsoft hasn't done much with the service for the last few years.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The games that work with this service are my least liked games. Warhammer Dawn of War 2, Batman Arkham City. Load them up with Steam then log into an extra layer with Games for Windows. Naf

Oh. This exists.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Lol, silly commenters. It's only the marketplace that's shutting down, not the service!

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Now if they shutter Windows 8, the world would be better off.

ypsylon said:

Never used GWL and certainly won't be using $team. That kind of intrusive DRM and spying on users belong in Cold War era.

Kevin82485 Kevin82485 said:

I don't think GFWL is as bad as others are saying. I think it is fine. I like that it links to my Xbox 360 account, and that my achievements count toward my Xbox 360 account.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

It's only the marketplace that's shutting down, not the service!

Bump, because it's clear you guys still don't realise GFWL is not going anywhere.