Next version of Chrome essentially runs Chrome OS inside Windows 8

By on October 7, 2013, 1:30 PM

Google has pushed out a new version of its browser onto the developer channel, and with it we’re getting an interesting glimpse at the company’s next move to bring its Chrome-based operating system to a wider audience. Essentially, launching the browser within Windows 8’s Metro-style mode will bring up a multi-window interface, complete with a taskbar and app launcher that looks and feels a lot like Chrome OS.

As seen on the screenshot below, the bottom shelf contains an app launcher to the left next to Chrome, Gmail, Google, Docs, and YouTube icons for quick access. This shelf can also be snapped to the left or right of the screen while icons can be re-arranged or customized with other Chrome Apps. Once you launch an app you can have it run either in tabs or its own window, which you can move around or snap to the sides.

With the current stable release, launching Chrome within Windows 8’s Metro-style start screen simply brings up the desktop client in full screen mode. The upcoming version is still a full fledged desktop application; however, according to The Verge, it uses a special mode in Windows 8 that Microsoft has enabled specifically for web browsers allowing them to launch in the "Metro-style" environment providing they're set as default.

It’s unclear when the new feature will be graduated onto the stable channel but reports indicate it’s still a little buggy and it crashes occasionally. Google has yet to announce it on the official Chrome blog.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen the company taking steps to extend its reach within Microsoft’s operating system. Back in July, it quietly launched its Chrome App Launcher for Windows, and with the introduction of packaged apps, desktop notifications and improved touch support for Chrome, Google is slowly building something that could be seen as a more serious threat to established desktop platforms.

Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

Windows - O/S with browser...

Chrome - browser with O/S...

... makes me think of a mobius strip.. or is it a relinked mobius with one surface and one side but a double twist.

JC713 JC713 said:

I wonder how this will play out.

p3ngwin said:

Is someone being stupid here?

A) Chrome is the browser, a HTCML, java script , CSS, WebGL, etc engine.

B) ChromeOS is a full Linux-based OS, with non-browser API's, drivers, etc.

whoever thinks ChromeOS is going to run "on top of Windows" is retarded.

"Google have the goal of making people want to use ChromeOS, and the company is "skinning" and adding features to the Chrome *browser* as a Trojan horse...but it's NOT ChromeOS !"

So, it looks exactly like chromeOS but it isn't an OS because it runs on an OS, you are a genious!

p3ngwin said:

looking like an OS on the surface and functioning like an OS are entirely different things, just as I laid out in my post, which you ignored, because you wanted to make a shallow comment.

E.G. putting a Ferrari body-kit on your Volvo doesn't give you a Ferrari.

You're a genius.

My point is I don't think anyone here though it is an SO and nobody though the next version of chrome would be a virtual machune software than do that and you are bragging of having a superior knowled and the worst calling people retarded.

p3ngwin said:

I'm sorry, but that made no sense at all

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My point is I don't think anyone here though it is an SO
You are correct, we didn't.

Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

Definitely a mobius with 3 half twists.

E.G. putting a Ferrari body-kit on your Volvo doesn't give you a Ferrari.

if it looks like a Ferrari, drives like a Ferrari but farts like a Volvo, it must still be a Ferrari, right?:p

kidding aside, maybe google is doing a hybrid OS... maybe the old chromeOS is out and the new chromeOS is now geared towards being browser-based.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

Im more exited about linux mint and steam.

I would like to see a lot less Chrome. I have found it next to useless.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I would like to see a lot less Chrome. I have found it next to useless.
I wouldn't say it is useless, but it is annoying for those of us who don't want it.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I've noticed it in Chrome 30. I quite like it.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I'm assuming their going to make Chrome Browser look and feel like the OS, not actually be an "OS" to have people get use to it. It'll be kinda like AOL desktop, in a sense.