Apple's October 22 iPad event gets official, two new tablets expected

By on October 15, 2013, 2:30 PM

Apple on Tuesday sent out media invitations for an October 22 event where the company is expected to unveil the fifth generation iPad as well as the second generation iPad mini. The event will take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco and gets under way at 10:00 a.m. Pacific time.

The tagline for the event reads “We still have a lot to cover” and according to All Things D, we could see a number of Mac-related announcements as well including OS X Mavericks and the updated Mac Pro. Both of those products were first announced at the company’s WorldWide Developers Conference months ago and have yet to hit store shelves.

Interestingly enough, it was the same publication that predicted the October 22 date earlier this month which was promptly confirmed by Jim Dalrymple of The Loop.

Most expect the iPad mini to feature a Retina Display although recent chatter from the supply chain suggests Apple is having some issues with these smaller screens. Elsewhere, both iPads will likely receive a speed bump and may even ship with the Touch ID fingerprint scanner found in the new iPhone 5s. It’s also probably a safe bet that both new iPads will be available within weeks of the announcement – or in other words, in plenty of time for the lucrative holiday buying season.

Other products up for a refresh include the Apple TV set-top box and its various notebook lines. The latter isn’t expected until sometime in 2014, however.

MilwaukeeMike said:

A multi-colored logo for the event with the tagline 'We still have a lot to COVER'. Sounds like one of the main features of these new ipads will be multiple colored covers. Pretty colors haven't exactly moved a lot 5c models, maybe it'll work with tablets.

JC713 JC713 said:

I really hope Apple unveils a retina iPad Mini and the new iPads, plus updated MBPs. The Apple TV refresh seems likely. If all of these rumors are true, we could be looking at a massive unveiling from Apple. 2 new iPads, new MBPs, OS X Mavericks, Apple TV, Mac Pro. I am really excited.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Yeah. I'm so excited for Apple that I feel a bowel movement coming.

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah. I'm so excited for Apple that I feel a bowel movement coming.

Here, take a like.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

And terrible app compatibility, for the iPads?

I'm still waiting on a feasible explanation on how Apple can reveal a Retina Mini without mass fragmentation, and a possible higher-res iPad.

JC713 JC713 said:

And terrible app compatibility, for the iPads?

Well, apps have to progress with tech. We arent gonna stick with the same resolution ipad for more than 3 years. People will want more. In order to do that, app devs will have to keep up.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

The only problem is, Apple will release yet another product that has no app ecosystem. (iPhone 5). And, as I said before, the only way to make sure there is minimal fragmentation is to make the retina screen twice the resolution. I firmly believe such a resolution at 9.7 inches does not currently exist.

2 people like this | misor misor said:

If this came with a sarcasm tag, I'd rephrase it this way:

Yeah. I'm so excited for Apple that I feel a bowel movement coming not through the rear but through the mouth.

JC713 JC713 said:

True. This may occur again with the iPhone 6 next year.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

True. This may occur again with the iPhone 6 next year.

And if it does, it will be months before apps will work on such a phone. Old apps will 'function', sure, but they will be tiny and surrounded on four sides by black bars.