Sony publishes PlayStation 4 teardown video

By on November 7, 2013, 2:30 PM

Sony has published a teardown video of the PlayStation 4 just over a week before the company’s next generation console is slated to hit stores in North America. Sony engineering director Yasuhiro Ootori is responsible for dismantling the machine which is held together externally by just four screws.

Visually, there are no screws to be seen on the exterior of the machine. The aforementioned screws are hidden behind seals at the rear of the console to discourage users from taking it apart. Once open, however, we see the fan, heatsink, optical disc drive and the power supply.

That’s right, the power supply has been integrated inside the machine because, as Ootori says, it wouldn’t be very convenient for customers if there was a separate power supply unit. Elsewhere we find a Bluetooth antenna and the 500GB hard drive which needs just one screw removed to take out.

The stock drive is a 5400 RPM SATA II drive which Ootori notes can be exchanged for any commercially available drive. A quick check of the PlayStation 4 FAQ confirms this, noting you’ll need a drive that is no thicker than 9.5mm and is larger than 160GB. What the FAQ doesn’t outline specifically is whether the SATA controller SATA II or SATA III. A solid state drive swap would give a slight performance boost when limited by a SATA II controller but with a SATA III controller, things could really fly.

Digging deeper, we are shown the motherboard with embedded CPU / GPU, GDDR5 memory, secondary processor, Wi-Fi antenna and various connectors.

"When you put all of these together, you have the PlayStation 4," Ootori concludes.

ikesmasher said:

So does it void your warranty to open? :/

Mavrickx888 Mavrickx888 said:

This is actually kind of neat that it came straight from Sony. Also, the fact that the whole thing is fairly accessible is really nice. It looks like it will be fairly easy to self-repair/upgrade.

TheDreams TheDreams said:

At first I didn't see the subtitles haha, I was like ummm wtf?

TheBigFatClown said:

Was the comment about including the power supply inside the PS4 a jab at Microsoft? Does XBox 180 have an external power supply?

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Glad to see they made this one so simple to dismantle. I remember having to open up my first PS2 on several occasions and it wasn't nearly this straightforward.

Reminds me of my old XBOX 1: X86 processor, memory on the main board,... :)

Looks kinda cheap but I like the "keep it simple" principle.

Wonder about the full specs and price in my country.

Lagahan said:

It does which is weird considering the bulk of the main console.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I'm impressed, that is a very well though out design.

ikesmasher said:

Xbox 180. I like that. Cause they had to turn 180 degrees around to make anyone buy the console. Har har har.

BlueDrake said:

I like that the video was taken down for copyright reasons.. would Sony like to explain this to us? :P

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Who is CondeNast?

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Interesting... I even was able to pick up some basic Japanese - no matter what he talks about, every sentence ends with "-a$$".

This one's still got it: [video embed]