Microsoft Paint time-lapse video must be seen to be believed

By on December 29, 2013, 12:15 PM

Microsoft Paint has been around since Windows 1.0 shipped some 28 years ago. The software received a big boost in Windows 95 but since then, it’s been delegated to little more than a last-ditch image editing application.

But as demonstrated by the YouTube video embedded below, however, Paint can be a very powerful tool if put in the right hands. This holiday-inspired Santa Clause image was created over the course of nine hours of screen recording that was cut down to fit into a 2-minute time-lapse video.

Everything you see in the clip was made using the vintage spray paint, brush and line tools. Sure, MS Paint won’t rival Adobe Creative suite anytime soon but it’s impressive nevertheless.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

1 person liked this | Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

Hey, Shawn...nice find!!

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

And I thought I was fancy for using it to make video game characters lol

I must admit I thought it was for stick figure drawings, noughts n crosses, or screenshots.

Impressive

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

"MS Paint won't rival Adobe Creative suite anytime soon but it's impressive nevertheless." No, it's pathetic that so little has been done to improve the software over the generations. What's impressive is the shit people do with it, stuff that Microsoft themselves probably never had imagined being done in the first place.

tomkaten tomkaten said:

I'm kinda fine with Paint the way it is, I mean it's not like anyone expects Photoshop bundled with Windows. If it's too lame for your needs, there are always free programs that support layers and such. Pain.NET is a good example. Or Gimp, depending on one's needs.

I use Paint to draw silly stuff now and then and to paste screen captures and export them to PNG and it does it well

Nunja Business said:

Very cool, but to be accurate - he is not using the mouse like most people do.

He obviously has a graphics tablet and pen. He is also using the latest Paint, which changed pretty substantially a couple of iterations ago.

JC713 JC713 said:

Wow this is amazing. I never knew Paint had such possibilities.

DelMurice DelMurice said:

This is the newer version of MS-Paint that was introduced with Windows 7. It's quite a big update too, and has a lot of nice tools that used to not exist at all in the older versions. Still not CS though, but it's vastly superior to what it used to be.

Maybe he is using some program that converts images into paint drawings automatically who knows

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Still MSPaint lacks a lot of features. Paint.net offers more features also free software. Although I find Gimp for Windows is just as good as Adobe Photoshop but there is still a learning curve. Gimp is free too. I use to like Jasc PaintShop Pro along with Borland Resource Manager. Gimp and Paint.net is what I use more for artwork and photowork.

1 person liked this | DelMurice DelMurice said:

I can tell from watching it that he's painting it himself. He uses a lot of the same methods I use. A script or program that converts a photo to a painting doesn't draw details that will be covered up, it simply doesn't know what's under there.

This just reminds me of having a great kitchen wont make you a great chef. I seen people who own much higher end drawing software and cannot draw anything close to what this guy did with the humble windows paint. Great job!!

Camikazi said:

The things you can do with talent, wish I had some of that

dikbozo said:

Akin to the difference between using wax or pencil crayons versus top of the line high quality oil paints, this little demo proves the point of it being the art within the artist rather than the tools used. My mother has the technique and skills to use pencil crayons on paper in exactly this manner to produce results like this, but she has no inner need or urge to do so, whereas I who have no dexterity or skill in this would kill for it. Excellent work.