Mobile Tech Trends and Predictions for 2014

By on January 2, 2014, 1:48 AM

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

While this new stuff is all well and good, the higher density battery tech is the most important as far as I'm concerned. I wish they'd just get on with it now and stop fart-assing about.

You are wrong in "Console Graphics Power". They will outpower Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. The next-gen consoles are about 4-5x more powerful. And console games are better optimized than phone games.

Hmm.. Wondering how those curved screen phones going to fit in my pocket. They are already little too big.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You are wrong in "Console Graphics Power". They will outpower Playstation 3 and XBox 360. The next-gen consoles are about 4-5x more powerful. And console games are better optimized than phone games.
I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to say that. You are not contradicting anything that was mentioned in the write up.

What are those phones in the picture in #9?

BMfan BMfan said:

The only thing that really mattered with today's smartphones is the battery and they aren't doing anything about that. Great...

Urgh. We could do without the stupid megapixel race again.

At least the trend of chinese phones using interpolated megapixels didn't take off.

When it comes to display, I'd like to see us develop e-ink more. Backlit is nice but draws so much power and creates eye strain. A device powered by e-ink with maybe a smidgen of backlighting for low light would be so good, and would be similar to the devices shown in the futuristic Office videos.

Your screen shouldn't be a torch, basically.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Hmmm I pretty much read number 5 as a we want more x86 chip tablets in our phones and tablets. Yet if they supposed to be so much better, why is it only the Windows camp using them and not android so much? Especially with Intel's billions.

There is a ARMdroid Wintel mentality going on here.

Staff
Scorpus Scorpus said:

What are those phones in the picture in #9?

It's the Jolla phone running Sailfish OS

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Is the Jolla phone not available in the US? It looks to be available only in "EU, Swizerland and Norway".

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

I want a projector built into my damn phone!

And I know about the Acer C120.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You are aware of how much power a projector needs? I'm not sure you really want that in a phone. The phones back-lighting power consumption is minuscule in comparison. If you are worried about battery life, projection mode in a phone is not something you want. Unless you are willing to carry a power adapter around with you for the off chance you will use projection capabilities, that will drain your phone of power within the hour.

1 person liked this | hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

-Ubuntu Touch will fail.

-1080p+ displays will dominate.

-Just like Android OS updates, battery tech will take its time so we keep upgrading our phones at a consistent 1-2 year rate.

*Off topic, Steam OS will fail hard.

Most of these "advancements" will be academic if they can't provide half decent battery life.

My dumb phone and PC works perfectly well without the need for overpriced "smart" phones.

Rishad said:

I am also concerned about the battery temperament of this smart tablet.

G.Duerr G.Duerr said:

I want to look over the horizon & see what I can't afford. I can guarantee that whatever it is will be available to me in about 4 yrs. max. For example: when new battery technology hits anywhere, it will hit everywhere within 4 years if it can be made affordably. That's why I like to read about high end stuff, while seldom being able to afford it.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

I think you guys should add the advancement of LTE-A to the LTE section. That is pretty important.

-Ubuntu Touch will fail.

-1080p+ displays will dominate.

*Off topic, Steam OS will fail hard.

I agree. Ubuntu Touch is way too late to the party. It is like BB10, but the difference is that BB has the money for marketing and they are still failing because they are too late. And it can only be installed on the Nexus 4... it will fail unfortunately.

I also agree with the 1080P+ advancements. The Galaxy S5 is supposed to have a 2560x1440 screen and the new iPhone will probably have to compete with that in the future.

It is unfortunate that battery tech is at a slow, but it is good in a way since it allows tech companies to catch up on the software level to take full potential of next-gen battery tech.

Finally, I think Steam OS will only succeed if the installation process is easier. At the moment you have to do a bunch of nonlinear things that in my opinion, are holding back the OS from making it to the non-tech savvy crowd. On the other hand though, I think that it is a great advancement in the HTPC sector since the OS is aimed at that sector. Also, Valve is a great company that can make it happen!

Craig Herberg Craig Herberg said:

Faster processors are nice, but faster Wi-Fi probably provides more of a boost. New Android phones have 802.11ac, while the iPhone does not. I expect to see this faster Wi-Fi become standard on new smart phones, tablets and laptops in 2014.

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah, I agree. Hopefully the price of the 802.11AC routers will come down so that 802.11N routers are phased out.