Windows 8.1 Update 1 could land on March 11

By on January 25, 2014, 9:00 AM

The first update to Windows 8.1 could launch on March 11, according to the ever-accurate Mary Jo Foley and her "trusted" sources. Windows 8.1 Update 1 could launch alongside Windows Phone 8.1 on this date, ahead of Microsoft's BUILD conference in April, where Windows 9 'Threshold' is set to be detailed.

Compared to the release of Windows 8.1 itself, Windows 8.1 Update 1 will be a minor update that shouldn't introduce many features. From several leaks showing off Update 1, we know that the update will include the ability to pin Modern UI apps to the desktop's taskbar. There will also reportedly be a close button for Metro apps coming in Update 1, making it easier for all users, especially those with mice and keyboards, to clear out apps that are running on their device.

At this stage it's unknown if Update 1 will bring the return of the Start menu, as was rumored several weeks ago. Foley says she would be "surprised" if the Start menu was included with this update; it's more likely to return in Threshold at the latest, or perhaps a second Update 2.

Microsoft's traditional 'Patch Tuesday' for March falls exactly on March 11, which is when Update 1 is expected. According to Foley, Update 1 will be delivered for free through Windows Update, as opposed to the Windows Store that was used to deliver Windows 8.1.

1 person liked this | TheBigFatClown said:

" we know that the update will include the ability to pin Modern UI apps to the desktop's taskbar"

Is everything they are doing simply making Windows 8 more like Windows 7...just at a very slow pace?

For Gods sake Microsoft, make up your damn mind, who you are going to serve. Take a quote from scriptue: "No man can serve two masters".

Take the Windows 8 core codebase, split the UI between two different SKUs and be done with freak show for good!!! Yeezus, Microsoft get's more bad press now than Lindsay Loham or even Justin Bieber these days.

Just split Windows 8 into SKUs, one for chimps, one for people, finished!!! Or more seriously, one for business/enterprise/productivity(producers) and one for consumers. Success!!!

TheBigFatClown said:

Yeezus!!!!! Stop working on FrankenStein 9. Use the Windows 8 core for two different SKUs split between a SKU for producing and one for consuming. End this freak show. Windows 9 is a success, everybody goes home happy. The End. Two SKUs. Simple.

Or....keep dragging this out and fighting your customers for the next several years with no one being truly happy.

Sorry, if there is a double post. It seem TechSpot may be on the fritz.

2 people like this | JC713 JC713 said:

Yes, exactly.

A couple of folks I use to work with in DEC->Compaq who work for Microsoft told me that before the Consumer Preview and after DP that there friends and developers were telling them they had to have a go to desktop mode and a start button. They said the powers that be in the Windows 8 dev group turned a deaf ear to all the complaints.

The moral---listen to your customers.

bexwhitt said:

Sorry, if there is a double post. It seem TechSpot may be on the fritz.

I don't see why you need to split windows just give people the option of a classic start menu and hide all the modern ui if they want to.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

Having used Win8 since the day it was released, and 8.1 since it was generally available, I reverted to Win 7 because of some of my expensive mobo software wouldn't work under 8. Was worried I wouldn't be as happy as with 8, but much to my surprise I like 7 better. Thanks, but I'll pass on this one MS.

Honestly I like quite a few Metro apps, running them in windows in desktop mode would be more convenient for me though. Can't wait to see if they implement this in Windows 9 or whatever they call it. That update better be free though, I bought into Windows 8 I feel like I deserve it (not that I hate Windows 8 but features like running Metro apps in desktop mode should have been there from the beginning). Once they do this plus the return of start menu, I'll be happy :D

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

I must say Windows 8.1 not bad on one of my Quad core systems. I had replace the CPU fan/sink in AMD Ph X2 2.4GHz Quad Core 8GB DDR2 RAM, replace HDD with 2013 model WD 16MB Cache 500GB is all I can get. So instead of installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, I've opt in for Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center Edition. Wow system response was quick and Disney Toy Story 3D game Free one ran and looked excellent on my 32-inch HDTV DC 10,0000:1 using HDMI port.

Got re-think here. Going to install this on my Windows 7 Dual Core 64-bit tablet. See how it does on that also. Since getting the Windows 8 lumia smart phone things haven't been the same. I still have more Windows 7 32/64-bit systems here. Not all going to switch over to Windows 8.1 64-bit just two for now.

GeforcerFX GeforcerFX said:

That's something We have noticed on just about every system we have upgraded to 8 even newer ones barely out of the box with windows 7 when we moved them to 8 they were a lot faster and smoother, the OS is just more optimized then 7 so it makes sense.

Sorry, if there is a double post. It seem TechSpot may be on the fritz.

they already run two skus, windows 8 for consumers and the business that want it can get pro, and windows 7 for the business and enterprise scene why would they split 8 into the skus when they already have the exact solution you seek?

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Sorry, if there is a double post. It seem TechSpot may be on the fritz.

Subsystem has been worked on the only answer I can come up with. For years from 3.1 to 7 suffer for all sorts of performance woes. Most of us don't notice this until we change out the 7 and put in 8.1. I had 8 running it wasn't that hot. 8.1 they really got this head on there at MS. Still room for improvement but in all on my Windows Tablet 19V 20,000 mAh battery I installed that on it. Run Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center like dream. I wonder on all the systems would be?

HP has issue 8 though I wonder if they have solved that so I could use my full 32GB DDR3 X1600 instead of just 16GB forced by HP driver issue.

8.1 drivers and hardware are found along with printers on the network well those printers not are not a printer server. The integration is not 100% until they get rid of the old Windows desktop mode and go full circle Metro (touch or mouse UI system) is a step up from the old dialog boxes and old way UI since 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 95, 2000, XP and 7. So they need to come up with a new File system management. Going back and forth from the old to the new is the only issue I see. I can live around it though but still some apps have the Metro integration where as some have the old desktop way.

GeforcerFX GeforcerFX said:

Even Vanilla 8 was booting significantly faster then a vanilla 7 system in our testing, the only time 8 seems to boot slower then 7 is when they both have updates, 7 seems to boot a bit faster when there doing updates. Other than that 8 usually performed better for us then 7, and 8.1 is just improving on that. I am amazed how much speed my little Venue 8 has with 8.1 on it. Working on a Data/SQL server for my dad, came with a E1 in it and after going to 8.1 the system is definitely faster.

Picking a UI is a must for them, I really am hoping they go less towards windows 7 and desktop mode. There competing on tablets and phones anymore that's the future conforming your mobile centric OS to desktop users makes less sense to me. The modern UI flows very well imo, just takes time to adjust, most people get so frustrated by it they just ignore it and treat it as a annoyance that needs to be removed. If I remember correctly the desktop was kept in windows 8 just to help people slowly adjust to modern UI. The further generations were going to drop the desktop all together and run everything through the MUI.

Nobina Nobina said:

I don't know why they didn't do this when they first time launched Windows 8. I mean it's a huge company with huge workforce and they all need a year to figure out what's best for their OS. Features included in this update could be though of in a minute but still they needed so much time.

Railman said:

Any plans to drop the desktop UI do appear to be on hold. Changes introduced in 8.1 and proposed changes would seem to indicate the desktop mode won't be going away soon. Frankly most people would not notice the performance difference but they are bothered if the GUI changes radically.

If MS did abandon the desktop in favour of Metro it would be commercial suicide. Enterprise would consider alternatives.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

No one is disputing the speed of windows 8 or 8.1 particularly. It isn't a performance killer as vista was compared to xp for example. Microsoft specifically worked on improving the time to boot which makes a difference in most systems I have come across although olde bios and slower drives still hold some machines back.

The "problem" with Windows 8.x is the new UI and the removal of the old start menu. Microsoft said that they removed it because people were not using it. The were pinning icons as using those instead. This is true but if you use windows and see people using windows, they use the start menu to find those applications in the first place. Once they find them in the start menu, they pin them to the task bar. Occasionally they look through their applications in the start menu to see if they missed anything.

Now I have actually started using the start screen in 8.1 "properly". I have no pinned apps in my taskbar except file explorer and I have enabled a local group policy that let's me choose to "run as a different user" by right clicking on apps in the start screen. I have my few apps I use in 4 groups and so far it feels very fast and my taskbar isn't cluttered with shortcuts to apps I don't have open.

However, the fact some settings are in "PC settings" and some are in control panel pisses me off. And the charms bar is a waste of time in a desktop especially if using a Remote Desktop connection where you aren't always full screen. Stuff like that is confusing and hopefully they can get rid of the inconsistencies and allow metro apps in the desktop and give people the option of the start menu instead of forcing the whole workforce to change their habits for a half backed desktop is tablet/tablet is desktop idea.

Apple has it right so far. You can't put a single os on tablets and desktops. The touch UI will not work for desktops so don't force it on desktop users. The start menu was bad for touch and that's why we have the start screen. It's got its uses but when I want to view all my apps that I haven't specifically pinned to the start screen, the applications view is a horrific mess especially with 100+ app-v icons.

I'll stay with win7 ..calmly waiting for win9 :D

Installed Classic Shell. Now I'm happy.

TheBigFatClown said:

So you want us all to upgrade to Windows 8 because it's boots faster. Just throw out all other factors normally used when comparing operating systems to each other and go with Windows 8 because it boots faster? *click....click....click....KABOOM!!!!!!*

Your second paragraph contains even more bizarre statements than the first. Nothing is stopping Microsoft from competing in the tablets/phones market. But I do agree with part of a statement you made:

"conforming your mobile centric OS to desktop users makes less sense to me."

Conforming either one to the other makes absolutely no sense at all. Why would I want to use a tablet OS on a desktop as you yourself stated that Windows 8 is - a "mobile centric OS"? Why would mobile users want to carry a keyboard/mouse in a gun holster on their hip and a laser printer on their back. So they can look like a modern day ghostbuster who really knows his tech stuff? Uh...I don't think so. If we cant ever get over the fact that mobile devices and desktop devices are "not the same thing" there will never be a solution. You can't solve a problem if you don't understand the problem.

"The further generations were going to drop the desktop all together and run everything through the MUI."

Dumbest statement of your entire post. The definition of desktop needs to be made clear here. It no longer most accurately represents the "size" of the device we are talking about. But what we "do" with that device. The "desktop" will not be going away ever because it represents a virtual place where people go to get serious work done.

When people can spend 8 hours a day editing movies, building websites, entering hundreds of medical/dental records, writing a book, or building the next "Call of Duty" engine on a tablet without a keyboard and a mouse - only using "chimpanzee-like" swipes - then that is the day the desktop will be going away. If you believe for a second that that day is arriving anytime soon, you are living on a planet which I have not yet heard of.

The desktop was kept in Windows 8 operating system because without it nothing could be produced for all you tablet consuming chimps to feast on day after day after day. The day the desktop dies your tablet dies with it.

PC EliTiST PC EliTiST said:

It's obvious they're trying to push Metro crappy apps with their terrible font rendering -the reason I haven't opened/installed a single Metro app- on desktop... Additionally, I can't use the very good browser -IE11 because for some bad reason they tied even IE11's desktop with Metro's font rendering. I'm am not optimistic for this feature.

Let's hope Windows 9 will be separated into 2 distinct categories. One for Desktop and one for Tablets. Both OSes will become as uncluttered as possible with no irrelevant features. Keep the Windows 8 core changes, improve some desktop programs like Windows Media Player -make it support .mkv and external subtitles natively. Also, redesign all Desktop Icons in order to fit nicely in Desktop Environment and such... Then, I'm truly sold for Win 9!

Currently on my Windows 8.1 I'm using Startisback in order to disable all hot corners and get my precious Start Menu back. Additionallly, this little program gives you the ability to have the Taskbar even when you're in Metro interface.

MS, wake up, dammit.

Ive used windows 8.1 and am currently back to windows 7 ultimate for one small reason. my laptop is 7 years old and a couple of my drivers arent officially supported under windows 8 and I refuse to use a wdm gfx driver. the only thing I found I needed to do under windows 8 to make it feel like windows 7 was install a 3rd party start menu app (the one I installed also removed the metro ui from showing during bootup as well) and I was pretty happy with windows 8 after that. the only thing that steered me away was the lack of "official" windows 8 drivers from my manufacturers "even though I could get the windows 7 drivers to work." other than that, with a few minor tweaks, windows 8 can be made into windows 7 ui wise in a few small steps. this new feature theyre talking about being able to pin metro apps to the desktop is a joke to me. go into your program files and find the stuff u want and drag it to the desktop. how hard is that? honestly?

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

"There will also reportedly be a close button for Metro apps coming in Update 1, making it easier for all users, especially those with mice and keyboards, to clear out apps that are running on their device."

I don't get why this wasn't in 8.0 beta to begin with! Didn't Microsoft do any out of house play testing with customers to see where people have trouble trying to learn how to use Windows 8 on their own? This should have been obvious to the most casual observer that it was an issue. The desktop user interface should be user intuitive. Users shouldn't have to take a class to re-learn all that they already know about Windows.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Microsoft Needs

QA Testers

Beta Testers

UA Testers

How can you release 8 without doing so. Rushing 8 out caused so much issues. 8.1 fixes some of those issues still 8.1 has some issues still not worked. Also WinSxS folder can steal HDD space that needs to be cleaned out. Running a simple script below will take care of that.

[code]

@Echo off

:Begin UAC check and Auto-Elevate Permissions

:-------------------------------------

REM --> Check for permissions

>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"

REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.

if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (

echo:

echo Requesting Administrative Privileges...

echo Press YES in UAC Prompt to Continue

echo:

goto UACPrompt

) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt

echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

exit /B

:gotAdmin

if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )

pushd "%CD%"

CD /D "%~dp0"

:--------------------------------------

color 1f

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase

mode con:cols=23 lines=5

echo ======================

echo ****** Finished ******

echo Press any key to exit.

echo ======================

pause>NUL

[/code]

Save this as batch file call it what you may. Remember to backup your system. I've ran it wo/backup. So with all the service packs, updates, metro installations lot of code just sits on the system not being used.

Windows 7 has a clean-up you can use 8.1 cripples desktop windows commands and msconfig you have to manually run it to disable the GUI animation under 8 to speed up the boot-up. Also tell the system you have more than one core and max the ram. Again this feature is still like was way back in early Windows days. Either get rid of the code or re-write the code so you don't need to keep on changing these features. Or give users the options to change these features.

TheBigFatClown said:

They probably pulled 25 junior high schoolers out of detention and had them do beta testing. And thought that was an accurate demographic that represents the real world.

1 person liked this | psycros psycros said:

I don't think they don't even bother with external testing anymore. The only feedback upper management wants is a bunch of yes-men saying, "your a genius, sir!" That always works out so well in a capitalist system.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

But, but, but......., Steve Ballmer..., IS...,a genius.............................er, isn't he.....

GeforcerFX GeforcerFX said:

I think with enough work the MUI could replace the desktop its in a early stage at the moment if anything M$ is just taking there time getting user use to the MUI over multiple OS releases each one adding more function tot he MUI. It just takes time how long did it take most user to switch tot he desktop when they released it instead of command line?

"conforming your mobile centric OS to desktop users makes less sense to me."

Well the Speed comments were a discussion between me and tipstir, should you move to windows 8 because it boots fast? Depends on what your moving from and if you have never heard of putting the computer to sleep. On to the rest of the comment... Can you edit movies on a touch screen sure can I have seen plenty of people do it, did on my tablet the other day in a pinch because my desktop was down, wasn't any trouble. Do I see professional video editing moving to tablets no, never stated that. Do I see tabelts having medical records entered into them? all the time every doctor at my local hospital has a tabelt with them at all times, so there already heavily in that field. Your talking specialized fields that make up less then 10% of computer sales anymore, in the beginning of computing Business/enterprise was where companies like MS focused because that's where the money was, consumers now drive the field more then business does. Your average consumer will go through 4 computers and 3 OS's before a business goes through one of each. They are the majority business's tend to move toward the majority if I am correct? Will Microsoft abandon enterprises? prob not they will deliver what those customers need, when you say business that's what I think of, those are the business money makers for MS, small business is a tiny chunk of MS's profit pie anymore.

Microsft is moving away form the desktop, not a statement by me just common sense really, the majority of computer sales will be on tablets and phone with in the next 5 years, desktops are terrible on the touch screen. Is MUI a replacement for a desktop yet? HECK NO!!! MUI is in its infancy (less then 1 year old) the desktop sucked back in windows 3.1 if I remember correctly, but evolved over time into the system that we have today. MUI is doing the same thing, computing hardware is changing (finally) and its going mobile. With enough work MUI would be a desktop replacement to any user while still functioning great for users on the go. ATM there focusing mobile, a lot of the speculated "threshold" features are adding more desktop functions to MUI. As for tablets doing everything a desktop can do, well they can, tablets if anything have shown how flexible they can be, mobile when you need them to be, but add a dock (keyboard or station) and your right back to a "desktop" work environment and with how hard Intel and AMD (not to mentions ARM's advancement) are pushing there low power development there's gonna be plenty of power behind these devices still.

For the needs you bring up and for your personnel needs MUI doesn't fit them atm (though some of those needs are being met for others in those industry fields). That's why Windows 7 is still here and is supported for the next 5 years +. Keep using what works and watch what the markets shifts into. If MS continues on the course for MUI and keeps adding features they have talked about and features I can see they have set the foundations for already (though no word on whether they are coming or not) the MUI might impress you in 5-6 years from now (maybe sooner) and you can move to that system. But its young and just entering the market, I wouldn't say your kid is way worse at math then you and expect that at 1 year old to be as good as you , not when you have had all those years to develop your skills

In the end I live on planet earth (same as you I presume) as I said computing is changing MS is just trying to keep up, while not cracking to many egg shells on the way, when you try and plz everybody you will always fail.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Metro is here to stay, you have a taste of what they have to do save Windows. Otherwise Android and Apple leads. As for Enterprise Server that doesn't have to be all touch screen but I am sure they're headed that way also. Desktop UI can be replace by touch screen method not the one they're using now. The security on 8.1 forces users to use MS online account via cloud to log in to PC. I rater use my own local account. Thus doing so you have to be send pass code via MS Security to make sure it's you. All this local tracking by software really gone hair wire.

My test now Smartphone Windows 8, Tablet Windows 8.1 Pro MC and Desktop Windows 8.1 Pro MC. That's it for me 3% of my gear gone to this. I hardly use the Android Smartphone I have cost me a lot but so much odd things that Google Android hasn't fixed since Cupcake 1.5 was release. Still they're just building on code base on Linux and sticking more code on top of the old.

Microsoft thought they could get way with old GUI, but tablet changes things in that department. 8.1 Bing Weather Metro App still has the same issue that was in 8. Can't lock on to F just C so the temp reading isn't correct. Flip flops. Where are those UAT (user acceptance testers) someone not letting the development team know of issues.

Sales are down and HP pushing back 7 kind a tell you were things are headed.

GeforcerFX GeforcerFX said:

you can do local accounts on 8 and 8.1 with no MS account needed

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

There's nothing like a Win 8 article to get a lot of forum members fired up. I love it.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

Sales are down and HP pushing back 7 kind a tell you were things are headed.

you can do local accounts on 8 and 8.1 with no MS account needed

Yes, you can do local accounts, if you ignore MS insistence on install to get a MS online account, but then you are denied features of the OS like access to the store (I don't like the cloud integration, but for those that do, you are denied all that too). Maybe all I want is a chess or go game, but try to download and MS pop up tells you, that you require a MS account. Me? Went back to Win7, too many deal breakers on Win8/8.1

tipstir as I have quoted really nails it.

1 person liked this | tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

you can do local accounts on 8 and 8.1 with no MS account needed

Yes I did say you can do local accounts in 8.1 but when you 8.1 on it doesn't give you the option to do that first like it can be done in 8. I don't like to be monitored which sites I go where I go what I do online. Opt of apps knowing where you live. To much research data on Windows 8.1 users. I know you can opt out then Metro apps some that near your location for weather and things don't seem to run right.

Ads in Windows Metro come really Microsoft. Sure I could disable that feature. Shouldn't be there in the first place.

TheBigFatClown said:

I think the beta-testers were all employees of the NSA. They wanted to make sure that people had less power to do the things they wanted with the operating system and more tracking features in Windows than at any other time in it's history.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

I use to be online beta tester for Microsoft years ago for IE Browser. They need to go back and get real users. Home and office to test.