Watch Bill Gates play an exhibition chess match against the best player in the world

By on January 27, 2014, 6:45 PM

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates recently took part in an exhibition chess match against World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen. The second richest man in the world was actually winning just one move before he lost according to chess.com but the problem was, Gates didn’t realize he was winning.

It took Carlsen just 12 seconds on the clock and nine moves to checkmate Gates during a recent taping of the European talk show Skavlan. The highest rated player in the history of the game actually broke one of his own principles to win the match – he resorted to using a “cheap trick” against Gates.

A week before, Carlsen taught Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg how to play the game. The champion said he felt Zuckerberg was much better after an hour of tutoring although he still wasn’t friends with him on Facebook.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

BristleCone said:

You might want to check your facts. Gates is the richest man in the world.

I guess u can't buy a better brain just because u are rich :)

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

If only there was a Deep Blue 2.0 who could beat Gates ...

Guest17 said:

It looks like Carlsen knew he had Gates at the third move, and won the game when he slid the queen over to a checkmate position on the fourth move. After that the outcome was a mere formality, with Bill Gates, who is probably a decent intermediate player, being outgunned by the world champ. What makes this "match" watchable several times is that the world's richest man is a class act, a good sport and a gracious loser.

A little wager Bill? About half a billion to start?

Magnus didn't have checkmate until Gates took the knight on the 2nd to last move. Gates' knight was protecting the h2 square. Once he took Magnus' knight on e5, the h2 square was no longer protected. So it may have taken Magnus a little longer otherwise, but he had some help from Gates to finish the game faster.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Bill Gates took it easy on him. He could've easily made the match last 3 minutes.

gamoniac said:

It would have taken one extra move, being Magnus's knight taking out Gates' knight. The next and last move would have been the same.

Wow, Zuckerberg actually did something intellectual.

Maybe he sacrificed a cow afterward to get over it (remember, he claims to only eat what meat he kills).

Actually if Gates had moved his rook to the left to give his King room (instead of doing knight takes knight), he would have still been in the game.

cmbjive said:

I'm just wondering...did Al Sharpton and Bill Gates go on the same diet or something?

Most people commenting on this have no clue on how to play chess. Bill did not have a chance. The knight was protecting nothing. If Bill did not take the knight he would have advanced by taking Bills knight. Then what now you have 2 knights protecting the queen in the mate. Hahaha. His win was so sure. Also there was no other moves to protect ether. The mistake was taking the sacrificed bishop.

EClyde EClyde said:

I know how the pieces move but doubt I ever won a game. Chess expertise means just that. You can play chess. Now if someone could cut, split, properly stack my wood AND clean my chimney as well as play chess I would be impressed with those skills. I would like to have him show me for an hour how to play...and I believe in reciprocity.

EClyde EClyde said:

Wow, Zuckerberg actually did something intellectual.

Jealous

So which move guaranteed his checkmate.

I think some they ask him to take again Microsoft chair and he doesn't want :)

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

If anyone is interested, look up the term, "scholar's mate".

(remember, he claims to only eat what meat he kills).

Does he? I thought zucks only did that for a while to "appreciate" meals a little more. I didn't think he actually continued doing this.

project_Akira project_Akira said:

Reading through the comments; why is there so much animosity towards Bill Gates? He has made significant improvements to technology, education in schools, helping poor people around the world and various other things. He is actually one of the few rich people that don't flaunt his money in the face of everyone and tries to make the world better. I don't know I just sense a lot of hate.

After rook to e1 (instead of knight takes knight), if Carlsen takes Bill's knight with his knight, Bill can take back with his queen. Then it's just one knight and queen, and immediate checkmate is not possible since Re1 gives Bill's king room to move.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I view Bill Gates as a harmless eccentric. Now Steve Ballmer, on the other hand, reminds me of a chimpanzee playing with a nuclear bomb.

cmbjive said:

I can't speak for others, but I wasn't hating on Bill Gates. It just that he looks sickly in the same way that Al Sharpton now looks sickly. Whatever diet or treatment these two men underwent just makes it seem as though they have excess skin around their face.