Microsoft sells 200 million copies of Windows 8

By on February 14, 2014, 7:30 AM
microsoft, windows, windows 8, sales

Microsoft has revealed a milestone in sales for Windows 8, with Executive Vice President of Marketing, Tami Reller, saying the company has sold 200 million licenses of the operating system. The last time we heard about Windows 8 sales it was back in May 2013, when Microsoft passed the 100 million copies sold milestone.

In the first 12 months on the market, Microsoft sold 240 million copes of Windows 7. With Windows 8 having launched on October 26, 2012, it's now 15 months since launch and only 200 million copies of Microsoft's newest operating system have been sold.

The less rapid take-up of Windows 8 can be attributed to a number of things. Consumer perception of the operating system and its radical changes, such as the inclusion of the touch-friendly 'Modern' interface, hasn't exactly been positive, especially among keyboard and mouse users. Also, the PC market is currently shifting away from traditional desktops and laptops to tablets and other touchscreen devices, where iOS and Android are fierce competitors.

Microsoft's sales figures for Windows 8 include licenses sold to OEMs and Windows 8 upgrades, but not volume licensing sales; it's also not clear whether Windows RT has been included in the figures.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is just around the corner, and early leaks of the operating system update have revealed a focus on improving the experience for mouse and keyboard users. Whether the improvements and new features in the update will convince more people to upgrade remains to be seen.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I can't hardly wait to see how the W8.1U1 really works. If as good as I hope, you will see a major bump in the sales numbers.

Especially the 'last' xp's in cooperate use, might go for this rather than W7, if MS finally manage a smooth interaction between the new UI and the millions of old apps.

1 person liked this | BMfan BMfan said:

Sells 200 million copies and lose another 50 million with re-installs of 7.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

They've may have sold 200 million Win 8 copies thus far but by the same token they've probably also sold 200 million Win 7 copies during the same period, they just forgot to mention it.

I bet their sales numbers of Windoze 8 would not have been so good had Micro$oft not forced PC makers into preloading it instead of giving them the option between V7 and V8. It would have been interesting to see the sales numbers of both V7 and V8 had Micro$oft given PC Makers, and consumers, a choice.

-DTR...

Does the report say how much bribes they gave to government civil servants around the world to push sales of their OS to government-regulated facilities to make up these numbers? I would like to see the ROI.

Doesn't sales include the ones sitting on all the shelves at the stores too?

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Dual Monitors at my desk to the left we have Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit with Media Center, to the right Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 with Media Center. Tweaking 8.1 as much to make it run smooth so far so good.

The bashing of WIN 8 has almost become a cliche.

Each new PC comes with a Windows 8 license, which is considered another license sold however most vendors are still installing Window 7. My local PC shop said that about 3% of new computers actually have Windows 8 installed, the other 97% actually still have Windows 7 as the installed OS.

1 person liked this | Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Great milestone, considering your last OS outsold your new OS in less time. But no, the customer still isn't right. When will they realize the Desktop complements the Tablet and without one the other wouldn't exist in most households, why the need to make both in to one device baffles me. Perhaps the real reason PC sales are down is due to hardware having reached an adequate level in most home negating the need to upgrade to a new system with an OS you've herd nothing but bad news about. Think about it, since Windows 7 was released, how much faster have PC's become for the average user, 4 GB of RAM was standard then, now it's 8 GB but it's doesn't speed up the system like going from 2 to 4. CPU's were mostly dual core, which again is more than adequate for most. You can't solely blame Win 8 for the decline of desktop sales, it just doesn't help.

Guest17 said:

Drop a piece of cheese on the floor and watch as the rodents scurry.

I'll stick with win7 until win9 is out :D

greybeard said:

I have to admit that I'm responsible for 2 of the Win8 licenses. They came preinstalled on laptops; those 2 laptops now run Win7 & Linux.

2 people like this | Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Gosh all the hate... for an incredible OS just because "it has big buttons and no start menu"...

Still using the good and old Windows XP.

1 person liked this | Fbarnett Fbarnett said:

I am willing to bet 99.9% of all the windows 8 trash talkers never even have seen windows 8 unless its screen shots on the web. 1 windows 8 rig here and 5 windows 7, and thing new will have win8 here. I think it works good no reason to upgrade to 8 from 7 but no reason to install anything new with win 7 on it either

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

I'm responsible for one as well, couldn't resist the deal ($20 or $40 CAD for Win8 Pro with Media Centre, can't remember). Installed it day it hit general release, but as of December 2013 moved from 8.1 back to Win 7 and happy I did. My Dad even bought a licence it was such a bargain. He has never used it.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I can shamelessly say, I have not contributed.

Gamesinner said:

And I still think it sucks!

Railman said:

-DTR...

One supplier in the UK is selling more copies of W7 than W8. The price difference is minimal. Most companies are still buying PCs with W7 installed. It would be interesting to know precise figures but I suspect that MS will play the long game and expect W9 to succeed unlike W8.

I wonder if they will mess up with W10?

learninmypc learninmypc said:

I don't know if this is a reputable website, but I saw this yesterday [link]

Is it related ?

drjekel_mrhyde drjekel_mrhyde said:

That 200 million doesn't count enterprise/gov

/Troll harder

drjekel_mrhyde drjekel_mrhyde said:

-DTR...

I wonder if they will mess up with W10?

If HP sell more with their new W7 push than they do with W8 then it's true, if not it's horseshiat

Gamesinner said:

I just bought a new laptop for my daughter for Christmas. We so gave it a chance, to me it was not intuitive at all. I gave the computer to my Daughter and about two weeks later she requested I get rid of Windows 8. I ended up wiping the hard drive and installing Windows 7 Professional.

Gamesinner said:

I think computers are lasting longer and you have to upgrade less frequently then the old days. But you're dead on, tablets compliment computers and will never replace them totally. Have you ever tried to type a lengthy report on a tablet?

Railman said:

-DTR...

I wonder if they will mess up with W10?

Clearly the vast majority of consumer PCs are sold with W8 but Enterprise is a different story. I was talking about OEM copies of the OS when I suggested W7 outselling W8. Many of the previous posts are from folks reinstalling W7. It would be interesting to have precise figures but they may not be available as MS is unlikely to release them.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Could you explain what makes Windows 8 an "incredible OS"?

Back in the day when it was still in beta, I spent some time testing it in a VM. Shortly after, I decided that this abysmal piece of code is never going to taint my disk drive with its foul presence.

1 person liked this | Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

As I've said everywhere I can, Windows 8 brings performance improvements all around, boot times, index searches way faster than previous versions, if you tweak around metro ui it can be gorgeous (Since 8,1) and very optimal layout if you take 2 minutes to set the shortcuts you want in it (Meaning, it works the same as start menu in 7, only bigger), improved administrative tools, driver compatibility, integration with social tools, the ability to have an account to rule all your computers sharing preferences (Keyboards, shortcuts, windows settings, etc) and backgrounds, and so on and on and on.

1 person liked this | Mbloof said:

There's the rub. When WIN7 came out many upgraded their XP boxes at that time. With cheap smart phones and tablets able to now provide MOST if not ALL of what MOST consumers need/want in computing the idea that everyone is going to run out and "upgrade" just because there's a newer product on the market is downright silly to foolish. Do people really need to spend $400-1200 on a new machine that does the EXACT SAME THINGS? (however some may say poorly) No.

I currently own 4 XP devices 1/2 of which I've recently downloaded winupdates for. I have tons of "legacy toys" that are dependent on ONE of the XP boxes working. They all still work fine for what I need them for AND that includes disconnecting the internet from them.

The fact is that much like cars, washer/dryers, stoves and TV's just because OEM's release a "new and improved" model every year does not mean that anyone is going to DITCH what they currently have and run out and buy the new thing.

BTW: I still own a WIN98 powered Laptop with Office 97' - it might be rather slow, can't/won't go online but still works fine. Why do I have to dip into the MS coolaid again?

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Good for you! There is nothing wrong with wanting to drive your Yugo everywhere

For the rest of us who likes new toys it's a different story, the same as it is for you. There is no wrong or right here, just the inability of people to judge for themselves instead of reading crap in a forum and repeat it non-stop hating everything and everyone who thinks differently.

Do I need to spend 400-1200 on a new machine?? Talking about biasing your replies here, I've run on the same machine for a couple years and not because there is a new procesor I'll buy it. Still, after a couple of years when I feel my computer is not giving the performance I desire well... yeah I do need to change it.

You are forgetting something.... you are in a TECH forum so whatever "most people" do, it's not applied here

Again I repeat, if you are happy with your Win98 powered coffee grinder there is nothing wrong! Kudos to you!

tariquekm tariquekm said:

Leaving the specs aside, the ratio of pirated downloads to actual sold figures is hilarious

I'll take that bet! 8 is a POS! I am typing on a laptop that has it. My sentiments are shared with other's I know that have used it. If 7 was more available as pre installed in the marketplace currently Microsoft would learn that so few actually like it that it would sunset faster than Me did. I can see where 8 would be fine as an OS for a tablet but really if folks want to buy a tablet Kindle and iPad have the market about sewed up.