Power laces for Marty McFly's Nike Air Mag shoes are coming next year

By on February 17, 2014, 7:15 AM
nike, marty mcfly, back to the future, air mag, power laces, shoes, sneakers

Nike’s 2011 release of the iconic Air Mag shoe featured in Back to the Future II was bittersweet for sneaker enthusiasts and fans of the trilogy. The limited-edition kicks were nearly identical to those worn by Marty McFly but they lacked a key feature that left many disappointed: self-tying power laces.

According to Nike designer Tinker Hatfield, those longed-for power laces are still in the pipeline. Hatfield failed to specify if the power laces would simply be an add-on for the existing Air Mag shoes or if they’ll be part of an entirely new shoe.

Either way, self-tying laces will arrive sometime next year which just happens to be the same year that McFly and Doc Brown visited in the movie. Delaying the laces until 2015 could be a deliberate move on Nike’s part to drum up even more interest but that’s only speculation at this point.

Nike filed a patent for a shoe with an automatic lacing system two years before launching the Air Mags. This led many to believe the power lacing feature would be included with the original shoes but it just wasn’t meant to be.

If you’re hoping to get your hands on a pair of Air Mags with power laces, you better start saving now. A pair of the 2011 model without the power lace feature recently sold for well over six grand on eBay. Given the limited quantity (only 1,500 pairs were created), it’s probably a safe bet that you’ll never see a genuine pair out in the wild.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

6 grands?! Jesus efing christ... I bet you see those on delorean conventions =P

p51d007 said:

Fool, meet money, soon to be departed.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

This has got to be one of the most pointless, let alone stupidest thing I've ever seen yet Nike will no doubt sell them all.

For fans of the movie things are totally different.

alex23 alex23 said:

Stupid is the one who pays the price, not the one who asks for the price.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

It doesn't take anywhere near this money or features in a pair of sneakers to make me very happy.

For less than $20.00, I'll nurse a pair for 5 years or so. They really stink after about year two, but I live alone, and the cats don't seem to mind.

And as for self tying laces? Well, that's why on the 8th day, our corporate father, who art in Delaware, E.I Dupont, created Velcro, which works perfectly.

KrisPL KrisPL said:

yup velcro will do and well for stink, you can try silver in spray, it did wonders to my old stinking shoes killing all the bacteria inside and leaving it almost like a fresh pair - and there are also socks which never stink, so you can get both and say goodbye to that odor ;]]]]]

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

This reminds me of a line from the film, "Gidget", ("girl in midget" , from about 50 years ago. (Sandra Dee played the original part). Gidget was sort of a small town girl, and she turned to someone and said, "did you know they have stuff to take the stink off people without washing". (He of course replied, "well, I reckon I did" ......

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Good, more offtopic out of captaincranky.

Btw those socks that never stink I think are made out of bamboo, also there are copper threaded socks that will kill bacteria also killing the stink.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Good, more offtopic out of captaincranky.
Not really. The topic was sneakers. Old sneakers stink. Velcro is way cheaper than paying for some dumb lacing machine. Granted, you won't be the first kid on your block to have \Velcro closures. But to the upside, you'll still have your six grand. (At least if you ever had it in the first place)...:p

BTW, since the topic was, "sneakers", how would you explain your discourse on socks? I'd explain it as, "off topic".

If I stayed directly on topic, my post would be, "who ***ing cares"? Followed by, "what manner of imbecile would pay $6000.00 for a pair of sneakers. There's really not much to add after that , is there?

....[ ].... also there are copper threaded socks that will kill bacteria also killing the stink.
Just to provoke some additional thought about "copper socks", did you know that copper and brass alloys are what turn your fingers green from cheap jewelry? Think how reactive elemental copper would be in the presence of foot sweat.

Spend an hour playing an acoustic guitar sometime, and wipe the strings off when you're done. The rag will have all shades of blues, greens, and black directly in line with the string pattern.

There must be some trick to this you're not telling us.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

There must be some trick to this you're not telling us.

Did you know that hospitals are actively using copper because of their antimicrobial properties?

[link]

CHEAP jewelry, you said it yourself, cheap alloy.

[link]

[link]

You know... don't make me do all the work, you could always google too

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

"Veni, Vedi Googled".........

Actually, there's isn't a terribly big surprise here. It appears one form of copper sulfate has been used for years as a fungicide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_sulfate Pay particular to the term , "Bordeaux Mixture", under the "Uses". (That's something I'd heard of years ago, but forgotten). I have no immediate need of something that cures grape rust, while living in the ghetto...:oops:

You have to expect copper, and copper alloy based fixtures, (as outlined in your links), would require a fair amount of upkeep. Picture if you will, a butler in coat and tails, polishing brass doorknobs.

In any event, I would anticipate that your copper laden socks, would be a non-bleach whites, as chlorine, (a "halogen" element) would likely react with copper vigorously

You know... don't make me do all the work, you could always google too
Was the one link enough? Or should I have included the several others I found about "verdigris", (the greenish powder that forms on exterior copper and bronze).

I thought that would be way too far off topic, so I said to myself, "f*** it", he'll have to research that himself......:p

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You must mean like the kind of mainteinance you do washing everyday socks, unless you are stinky enough to use the same socks for a couple of days, or maybe the kind of mainteinance of hospitals on the other side.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I bet they would only last 3 months and some mechanical malfunction would have you spending another 6 grand. It's a good thing they only made 1500, meaning they were not made to be worn. Also meaning stench would not be a factor. Also meaning these shoes will one day be sold for $6 million.