Another day, another No Man’s Sky story. This time it’s not about the game itself or its ever-dwindling player numbers, but a strange incident involving creator Hello Games’ Twitter account.

Both Hello Games and its founder, Sean Murray, have been incredibly quiet since the No Man’s Sky backlash reached its peak in mid-August. But on Friday, the company sent out a tweet stating: “No Man’s Sky was a mistake.”

This naturally caused quite a sensation. Was Hello Games actually admitting that NMS is flawed? It started to look as if this was this case, after a number of emails from both Murray and Hello games were sent to various publications verifying the tweet.

Murray’s email, which came with the subject line “An Official Statement from Hello Games,” placed much of the blame on Sony. The message alleged that the distributor forced Hello Games to release NMS early, resulting in key features being cut.

A different email, this one claiming to be from Hello Games, blamed the tweet on a “disgruntled employee,” which added to the confusion - was it talking about Murray? By this time, Hello Games’ twitter account had been set to private.

Eventually, all was revealed. It turned out that both Murray and Hello Games were victims of a hack. "Server hacked," Murray tweeted. "We're binging Mr Robot Episodes as quickly as we can looking for answers. Ep05 is a cracker,” he joked.

It seems that LinkedIn was responsible for the compromised accounts. "If anything was a mistake, it was using Linked In without 2FA," Murray said in another Tweet. An hour later, Hello Games sent out the following message: “100% not hacked anymore... obviously those mails and that tweet were fake. Back to work.”

It’s slightly damning that the first communication from Murray in over two months came as a result of a hack, and that’s assuming we’re being told the whole story. After everything that’s happened, you have to wonder if some of Hello Games’ staff really do believe that No Man's Sky was a mistake.