Test System Specs & Atto
Test System Specs
- Intel Core i7-2600K (LGA1155)
- x2 4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill (CAS 8-8-8-20)
- Asus P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67)
- OCZ ZX Series (1250w)
- Samsung SSD 840 Pro 512GB (6Gb/s)
- Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB (3Gb/s)
- Western Digital Velociraptor 1TB (3Gb/s)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB
- Western Digital Green 2TB
- Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB
- Western Digital RE 1TB
- Western Digital Red 3TB
- Asus GeForce GTX 580 (1536MB)
- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
- Nvidia Forceware 310.61
Using Atto Disk Benchmark to measure sequential read performance with a range of data sizes we found the WD Black 4TB to be one of the fastest hard drives we have tested, reaching 155MB/s. The Samsung SSD 840 Pro 512GB is obviously worlds faster, but the WD Black 4TB offers eight times more capacity, so that is its obvious advantage over the much snappier SSD, which we've only included for comparison's sake.
Atto's write results are virtually identical to those seen in the read test, as the WD Black 4TB again maxes out at 155MB/s, this time when working with 8K data and up.
Featured on Storage
Legion Hardware Reviews
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.