12v lead going to almost 13v on Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the title says...the 12 volt lead on the power supply is overloaded to 12.736 volts. is this normal for it to go over? all the other leads (3.3, 5) on the power supply are under. I am using the Asus Probe program provided for my motherboard to do these measurements.

Thanks in advance for your help.

That should be "ok", I think there is a range of tolerance for power(I think I saw someone say between 11 and 13 is ok). Is the voltage constant or does it vary a lot?

techboi88 said:
its pretty steady at 12.736. it might move up a bit to 12.739, but it usually stays around that area.
Older PSU had 10% tolerance for +12V, newer ones are 5%. Anywhere within the percentage range is normal reading, the actual tolerance for 12V error level is usually higher.

However, the fact - that 12V is heading up toward the upper limmit and going higher while 3.3V and 5V are heading toward the bottom limit... usually meant that the PSU is operating at its final capacity limit and bordering upon voltage regulation failure.

It isn't just the 12V reading by itself, it's the combination of the voltage readings taken which is indicative.

I suggest you get a higher power capacity PSU, but first you should verify the accuracy of your voltage readings. Are they actually good and valid measurements?

or your sensor chip could just be inaccurate. I check voltages with a multimeter to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back