14" Laptop LCD with thin blue line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP Pavilion N5425 laptop, 14.1" LCD TFT (Toshiba) that works fine but 1 complaint:

About 1/4 way across the screen (from left to right) there is a thin blue line running from top to bottom.

It started very faintly but grew continually worse and is now a "permanent" feature.

The screen and laptop are fine otherwise, and I've been able to check all internal connections and and component seating. But the this hasn't corrected the problem.

I can replace any peice, but what part is it? Screen? Cable? Video Card?

When I change resolutions, the line stays in the exact same place on the screen.

When I unplug the cable from back of the screen (leaving the invertor connected) the screen remains on and show a plain white field with no blue line.

Using the video-out from the laptop, the line does not appear when hooked to a TVs video-in. (I do not have a proper monitor to try this with.)

Gently moving the cable seems to have no effect. But there is a good length of it held still under the power-button pcb when the laptop is re-assembled enough to turn it on.

Anyone have any experience like this and have an idea as to which part to replace? Any more suggestions to try?

Thanks!

take it to a laptop repair shop or get a good technician on the job because it'll take tools and training to fix the problem (laptops are very tricky to mess with).

Thanks Zep.

I have all the tools needed and am able to get easily at all the components. Getting around this laptop isn't difficult with patience and a the service manual.

What is difficult is diagnosing a problem without spare parts to locate the errant component.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem of a single line across their laptop LCD?

Thanks!

i've seen plenty of lcds (for desktops and laptops alike) that have one or more lines running down them in various colors. in all cases, the displays were bad and had to be returned for service or discarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back