2 internet connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

probizzle

is it possible to run 2 internet connections on one computer for example. i have our dsl that we pay for. and my neighbor has wireless internet that i can connect too that he said was ok to use. hes one of my friends. and i like to download stuff alot. so would it be possible to have one internet connection downloading files. while the other internet is for surfing and stuff like that.

probizzle said:
is it possible to run 2 internet connections on one computer for example. i have our dsl that we pay for. and my neighbor has wireless internet that i can connect too that he said was ok to use. hes one of my friends. and i like to download stuff alot. so would it be possible to have one internet connection downloading files. while the other internet is for surfing and stuff like that.
not at the same time I don't think, but I could be wrong.

What you are referring to is called multi-linking. It can be done, but it isn't practical for most people. Here's why.

Let's say you have two lines. You plug both in and you're online. The problem is your online with only the first connection and your computer hasn't a clue how to use both at the same time.

There are solutions to this. The best one is an ISP that supports multi-link. Unfortunately, I don't know of any broadband providers that do this. An ISP that supports multi-link will distribute your bandwidth evenly for every request you make.

The second solution is to use multi-link software. The problem is that software cannot split the data evently across the board, it can only split your connection across different requests.

For example, if you download one file at a time, it will only download using your primary connection. However, if you download two files at a time, the software will then download the second file using your secondary connection. I would imagine such software could also isolate web browsing, P2P programs etc... onto one connection and use the other as an auxillary for whatever suits your fancy, but I don't have any experience with multi-link software.

so it would probly be esier to hook the other internet connection up to another computer i have. only reason i wanted to do this so i didnt slow down my download while i was surfing the internet. but o well i guess i can just hook it up to another computer np

You would need an advanced router (or just Linux) to get some sort of a control over what traffic goes out on what interface.

In Windows, the best thing you can do is specify certain IP ranges that get routed through the secondary gateway.

A la if you download big files from certain FTP sites, then you can specify routing table entries for those sites telling Windows to use some other gateway than the default.

probizzle said:

Why not ditch the DSL and use your friends wireless connection only. I have 4 unsecured wireless connections available in my neighborhood. Yes 4 unsecured connections. These people are clueless on how and why wireless connections need to be secured. When I try to set up my home wireless network, the unsecured networks override my connection easily. I do laptop updates from these "free" wireless connections often

because i dotn want my internet getting boged down because of the files im downloading. so then i can use my neighbors so i wont be slowing my internet down anymore then it already is. and yes i have 2 unsecure connections but the good signal ones are protected.

So connect to your friend's wireless to download, then connect to your DSL to surf. You can manually select which connection to use in XP anyway. Just go into network connections and turn off your DSL NIC and go wireless. Turn on the DSL NIC to reestablish the DSL connection...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back