2 PC's / 1 ADSL ROUTER / 1x DSL CABLE CONNECTION?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokaboy

Can it be done?

We have 2 PC's both running windows
We have 1x Virgin Media 20mb DSL Cable Internet connection
We have 1x Netgear Wireless ADSL Router

(we will have a DSL router next week)

In the mean time we have 2 PC's that need internet access!

My question is, can we setup the internet using the equipment we have? Somehow connect the modem to the router via the ethernet port? OR Using 1 Pc connect to the router wirelessly and have the other connect to it wired. With the one we connect wirelessly we could connect the modem to and share the connection?

OK, I'm a little confused. Do you have a Cable Internet connection or a DSL connection? Provide me with the answer to that question and brand name and model numbers off of your equipment and I might be able to understand a little better (It's not you, it's me;) ).

i thought cable and dsl where the same thing? if not im not sure... i know we did have a DSL router at one point (long story no need to go into) so must be DSL?

www.virginmedia.com we have the XL package.

Ok

so we have 2 computers

computer 1
network = 1x wired

computer 2
network = 1x wired & 1x wireless card

router ADSL
4 ports and its wireless

the DSL connection comes from our TV to a MODEM and from the modem is an ethernet cable.

Does this help :) ?

as far as i know if the modem has four ports in it there should be no need to buy a wireless router for your network both should be able to connect wired or wirelessly so on your second pc you can go either way depending on how far you are from the modem, or how long your RJ-45 (ethernet) cables are.

mokaboy,

Here's what I would do:
Computer #1
  1. Set up computer 1 close to the Router
  2. Since you keep saying ADSL, I imagine that you have a telephone line for your Internet access and not a coaxial cable (Cable Internet)
  3. Take that telephone line and plug it into the router
  4. Take an Ethernet cable (Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6) and plug one end into port 1 of the router
  5. Take the other end of that cable and plug it into the back of computer 1
Computer #2
  1. This one is whatever your preference may be
  2. You could either run a cable to computer #2 from port #2,3,4 (whatever port you want)
  3. Or, you could set that dude up wirelessly
Let's Network those two bad boys
  1. Let's suppose both machines are running Windows XP
  2. Click Start
  3. Right-Click "My Computer"
  4. Click Properties
  5. Click the Computer Name Tab
  6. Click "Change"
  7. Click the "WorkGroup" radio button
  8. Place that same name both Computer #1 and Computer #2
  9. Allow file and print sharing
  10. Create a folder
  11. Share the folder
  12. Away you go!

If you need any more assistance, please provide me with specifics and I'lltry to do my best to help.:grinthumb

ok im sorry it must be my fault but i dont think you understand.

i will explain again, thanks for your time so far.

Basically

I have Cable internet coming through my TV
I have a Cable modem with an ethernet cable coming from it

This ethernet cable used to plug into my DSL router i used to have

I no longer have this DSL router but i do have a new ADSL router (phone line internet)

My question is

How can i connect this Cable modem to my ADSL router so i can share the internet between 2 PC's?

Computer 1 :
2 network connections
1 wireless
1 wired

Computer 2 :
1 network connection
1 wired

I am thinking either

Connecting the cable modem to the ADSL router as a client (into one of the ethernet jacks) and hoping to somehow configure it to allow internet access to the 2 pc's i will also have connected to the router

or

Connecting computer 1 to the router wirelessly and connecting computer 2 to the router through a ethernet cable. Then connect the Cable Modem to computer 1 via the wired network port. Then setting up ICS maybe and share the connectiong coming through Computer 1.

What is the make and model number of the ADSL router? There are some DSL routers that look like this: View attachment 27566

If that is the case, have the coax come in to the modem. From the modem, have the Ethernet cable go to the "IN" of the router(the port to the right in the picture). From there, you can do whatever you want with the 4 ports on the back.

thats the router i have but the port to the right is a rj11 port... ADSL... phoneline...

and the cable modem has an rj45 ethernet cable coming from it...

in other words... the cable modem with the ethernet cable coming from it will physically not fit into the router as its too big. :)

OK, the one pictured is either RJ-11 or RJ-45. That's why I used it as an example. If you're router has an RJ-11 connector, that's not going to work. If your router is a wireless router as well, try setting it as an "Access Point". That might free it of it's "router duties and turn those 4 ports into a hub instead of a router.

and turning it into a hub will allow me to connect the cable modem to the router then connect mine and my mates pc and allow us both to connect to the internet??? :)

These are all possibilities. Do not get your hopes up, but I have a Belkin wireless router and it works for me. Give it a shot, if it doesn't work, you have lost nothing. If you get your hopes up, and it doesn't work, you've lost a little drive to complete it. Don't give up, without specific model numbers of your router and modem it makes it a little tough for me. Keep trying different configs, something is bound to work there. :grinthumb

the router is a Netgear 834g :)

please help me! im sitting here head in hands thinking what to do... i want to try everything before i give up, i just dont know where to start!

any help will be MUCH appreciated!

thanks so far
mokaboy

OK, from what I see on the website, this is an ADSL modem Wireless router. The only thing I can suggest (since you have cable Internet) is to set that dude as an access point, plug an Ethernet cable into port 1 of the Netgear and pluging the other end into the modem. Connect Computer #2 into port 2 of the Netgear and connect Computer #1 wirelessly.

im not quite sure how to set it as an access point? ill mess about with it... apparently i just turn off the DCHP server

Google this:

Logging into Netgear 834g

That should discover something and trigger more thinking. Like I said, the possibilities seem endless. Plus, you'll learn something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back