2000/xp processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovewerx

in taskmanager>processes i can set process priorities. do you know of a guide that will tell me how each priority setiing will effect native windows processes?

i realize it lists normal, high, etc... i just want to know what i can expect when i lower the priority of 'csrss.exe' or 'winlogon.exe' for example.

First it's usefull to know what the processes do...
Here's a short list which lists some of them...
And here's another list..

I can't seem to find a list which tells you the exact effects of which priorities you set, but you'll get a general idea after knowing what each process does...

I.e. I don't have a printer nor fax installed on my system, and has thus set Spoolsv.exe to min priority without a hitch... How much resources I've freed by doing this is another Q... ;)
(Though after reading the guides listed above, it's going to be gone from my system quite soon :))

Hope this info tells you what you wish to know, if not... Just tell us, and someone will tell you :)

thanks for that...

so how do i gain access to changing the priorities of the cycle hogs: svchost, smss, csrss, winlogon, and mspmspsv?

i'm logged in as administrator yet i have no access...wtf?

You don't have access? Weird...

Restart 'puter, log in as administrator, start task manager (either by right-clicking on the menubar, or <ctrl>-<alt>-<delete> and choose task manager), and go to the process window... Right click on the process you want to change the priority of, and choose, set priority...

If it doesn't work, check that administrator has a full set of permissions (under users in the control panel)... If it hasn't, check which account does...
(Many set up the administrator account as a guest account, since it's the most targeted account from hackers...)

If all is correct in there, create a new account and give it the same rights as the administrator account, and check with that account...

If that doesn't work, post back, and hope that phantazm knows the answer ;) :D

You can't change the prioty of most system processes, regardless of account status or power.

The only option I can think of is to take a peek through the system security policies and find something that MIGHT give you the power to change these processes. I'm not familiar with a policy that will allow you this control though.

You can find your local security policies in Control panel / Administrative Tools / Local Security Settings

Rick is right, if the process lists SYSTEM under the username collum in Task Manager, then you can't do anything about it from there. You may be able to manipulate the settings in Admin Tools as Rick suggested, or you may be able to find a registry setting to help.
http://www.winguides.com/registry/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back