2nd power supply in case

Status
Not open for further replies.

benwalburg

Okay, i had a Antec 480 watt power supply (true blue) but it went dead, i was really mad, Antec said it would cost 25 bucks to ship it to them so they could check it out..heck for 84 bucks i can get a brand new one with sleeving (newer version) on newegg.
So i started using my old 350 watt PSU. This had some problems 1) Did not have enough power connections for 3 hard drives, 2 cd/dvd drives, 5 extra fans (and cpu fan which uses mobo header) and 2 neons.
Much less the load of the neons alone (with cpu) would result in computer shutoff..

SO i dug out a old 200wat MINI PSU from a box machine, about 4inches by 5inches. And hooked the green wire, to a black wire (ground) which allows you to use the powersupply without any motherboard connection.
modtown_Img037291.JPG

I now just stuff the mini PSU in a extra HD bay holder in case...and run neon's and fans off their very own Powersupply unit seperat from system devices. So its liek having 550 watt again :) lol..

How does it work in practice ? For example, how do you power off the PSU that isn't connected to the mainboard ? Don't tell me your neon is still lighted even after you've turned off the machine.;)

I don't feel its worth the try to hook up 2 PSU. I don't its very convenient and practical. Best thing is to get a new one. If you can't, forget about the neons for the mean time and continue to save up some money for the new PSU.

Originally posted by young&wild
I don't feel its worth the try to hook up 2 PSU. I don't its very convenient and practical. Best thing is to get a new one. If you can't, forget about the neons for the mean time and continue to save up some money for the new PSU.

I see where you are coming from...but me on limited budget...this was easy fix...and now my system doesn't come near to surging with 5 80mm's fans, 2 neons dvd burner, SB audigy 2, 52cd burner, and all that extra stuff....before the system surged when neons where turned on and off (same line as computer)
No more problem now..

as for turning it off..I just have a powerstrip that sits under my monitor...."Computer, Moniter, Printer, AUX1, AUX2.." just have AUX1 as sec. PSU. and AUx 2 as joystick....

The only thing i was interested in was witch wires i had to connect. Once i knew it, but that as stupid as i am, i forgot:rolleyes:.

So thx for the nice pic:grinthumb
Now to save the pic and make sure that 1. i dont forget i have it 2. Dont delete it

Greets Crazy,

not that I am digging up old post...but couldn't you just hook a toggle switch up to the PS in order to power it off and on?

By the way does this work for creating a "MOBO independent" power supply? just wondering if anyone else has tried it before I do and burn my house down :hotbounce

hmm that sounds cool, im not a electrical technician or anything, but can you explain this in depth?

lol once i was fixing a light and the power wasnt off, lucky the live wires didnt zap me.

What I do is just slice off the molex connectors on old power supplies and splice them into an existing one. As long as the PSU is capable of delivering the power, everything works out dandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back