4x / 8x Agp

Status
Not open for further replies.

hullupelle

I am looking to get a new graphics card but am uncertain as to whether my abit motherboard (KG7-Raid) will take a 8X AGP card. Is it possible to use 8x AGP in 4x AGP slot? your advice is much appreciated.

yea but confirm it first...i was told tht my ECS M925 1.0 mobo 4X wud take an 8X card but on tryin it out, my system wudnt boot at all...i checked it out and the slot size on my mobo is not compatible i think.....all 4X mobos will not take 8X cards....its only after the 8X cards came out tht they started makin 4X mobos tht wud take 8X cards.....hell i cant even find a mention of my mobo model even on the net!!!

AGP 1.0 = AGP1x and 2x
AGP 2.0 = AGP2x and AGP4X
AGP 3.0 = AGP4x and AGP8x

Any AGP 3.0 card will work in any AGP 2.0 compliant mobo

While AGP 3.0 spec uses existing AGP 2.0 and AGP Pro 1.5v connectors, this does not mean you can use an AGP 3.0 card on a AGP 2.0 motherboard, you cannot. What is does mean is that some AGP 3.0 motherboards will accept AGP 2.0 1.5v cards. It depends on the design of the motherboard. Some AGP 3.0 motherboards will support only AGP 3.0 and some will support both AGP 2.0 and AGP 3.0. Since this is still a draft spec any of the info on AGP 3.0 is subject to change.

http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/tech-planations/920_2.html

check this out.....clearly my mobo did not support the Pixelview GeForce2 MX 440 8X card(limited edition)..coz i tried it myself....

I've only heard of the problems firelance is talking about with early Pentium 4 boards (the 423 ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back