4X/8X - The Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

Well I am just thinking of purchasing the "ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 Edition Radeon 9600 256MB DDR VIVO AGP 4X/8X" video card. Now, as you can read in the title, it says 4X/8X. Does that mean that I can either use a 4X interface or an 8X interface?

Previously, I bought a video card for my system and it wouldn't even fit in properly, and it said that it was an 8X interface card. So I suppose I would need a 4X card, right?

One other question. How would I check and see what kind of interface I have, and consequently, what card I would need?

If you could answer my questions as soon as possible that would be great!

Manic

4x and 8x have the same physical slot type, but 2x cards are keyed differently. You might have a 2x slot, if so, you're pretty much out of luck, as there aren't many 2x cards available now, and the ones that are are slow.
8x supports faster speeds than 4x and has a different signaling voltage(0.8v) than 4x(1.5v). Many agp 4x boards support 8x/4x cards.

Thanks everyone. In one of the articles that LesterofPups suggested tells me to take a good look at my motherboard and see what "kind" of AGP or whatever that I have. Again, thanks!

P.S. I'll keep you all posted on my endeavors.

Ok, I just typed the serial number of my motherboard and a couple other number configuations into my web browsers search engine and I came up with this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07030

As you can see, the Graphics connector (AGP) is 4x! Success!

One more thing though. This link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102581, states that I need "3.0Ghz or equivalent to run software encoding requirements of Windows® Media Center." On my PC, from what I can find, I only have 1.6Ghz. Would the above card still run properly? Thanks. Also, if there is any other information regarding this issue that I should become aware of, please don't be afraid to tell me.

Encoding depends on the CPU. The card will work - your processor won't cope unless you encode in 64x32 format ...

OK, although I really don't understand what "encoding" is. Is it something that I really need to do to make everything in my system work properly? If you could direct me to a link of sorts, that would be great!

encoding = formatting the raw data into a viewable type of file. Principle almost like zipping files...

Links? Try Google ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back