Here is my PC Spec-
Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
Intel 865GBF Motherboard
1 Gb Kingston (512 x 2)
Eagle GeForce 6600 256 AGP
480 Power Supply
Samsung Combo
80 GB PATA
No Floppy Drive since i am using cooler master processor cooler and the turning knob takes the space of the FDD
Recently I upgraded my graphics card from a 5200FX 256 to a 6600 256AGP and since then whenever i start my comp the screen goes blank like as though it was in stand by mode. But when i remove the power dongle from the 6600AGP card, everything works fine but when windows XP starts the nvidia system sentinel says that the graphics card is not getting sufficient power and so it has adjusted to a lower clock speed. So then when i plug a power dongle to the 6600AGP again and start the comp the same problem happens nothing but a blank standby screen. I even did a clean reformat, upgraded to the latest bios and drivers but the problem persists.
But sometimes it kinda works after 10 or 15 times of pressing the main power switch on and off till it works. So has anyone come across this problem? Please help cause all my work is gathering up to a point where i wont be able to finish it on time. Oh and I'm using a 17 inch CRT samsung screen.
Thank you

that happened to me, turn it on and wait 10 secnds (about3 lowest) and restart comp

if that dont work right when u turn on, keep pressing del key real fast.

Welcome to techspot!

It almost sounds as if your power supply just isn't enough to power up that card, but 480w SHOULD be plenty...

Lame PSU perhaps? Who made your PSU? How many amps on the 12v rail?

See what some others say...

I'm using 81.85 nViDia Drivers and the latest intel 865GBF Drivers. i don't think it's my PSU's fault cause it worked fine when I tried it with FX-57, 2 GB Corsair, K8NXP Gigabyte SLi, One XFX 7800GTX, Audigy 4 Pro, 10000 Raptor HDD x 4, 2 DRU 810A DVD. This comp has Antec 550 true power, and so I put the Antec one in the 6600 AGP machine but still the problem happens. See, this 6600 AGP card is about one month old and I got it to work at that time even though the blank screen problem was present. I just forgot how I got it to work at that time. I remember switching the power dongles. Anyway I tried switching the power dongles but it didn't work.
Right now it's working cause I am writing this from the same 6600 comp, it took me about 8 times putting the comp on and off. I just want to get it to work the same way everyone else comp does.
Ashcraft.. when I switch on the UPS the first time the comp automatically starts. Then I hold the main power switch on the comp casing till it goes off, wait about 10 secs and then try again. I have to do this about 10 or more times till it actually starts. I'll try that del key thingy now. :suspiciou

A fix?

I tried the video driver updates, upgrading my power supply, and even reformatting my system and starting over.

In a recent attempt to fix this, my system crashed so I reported it to Microsoft and used the Microsoft Online Crash Analysis to get to the link http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=257b7590-4bb7-41e7-a045-f946f8da2acc&SID=11
and then followed the link under Additional Technical Information to get to the link
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293078

The WORKAROUND section fixed this for me (FINALLY!).

Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then click to clear the Enable Write Combining check box.

This doesn't seem to be listed on PNY or nVidia as a solution. It might be because this will cause a different error ("The NVIDIA Display Panel extension cannot be created"). I've sent in an email to PNY Tech Support on this issue but haven't heard back yet. For now though, my system is blank screen free!!!

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back