6800 Ultra = 120 degrees C under load!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comp: 3.2 p4 prescott, 1 gb ram, wd hd, Aspire case, 400 watt psu, 6 total case fans (1x 120mm) and an andy samuri cpu cooler (120mm).

This card used to run about 70-80 max under load and then I went away from gaming and computers for some time. When I decided to play some cs:s my comp kept locking up, but only for a short while(30-45 secs) so I didnt think much of it. Well it got worse until I decided to check into the problem. I found that my video card is now idling at 70-80 c and its exceeding 110 every time under load. My first thought was that the fan was off. Nope. But the air comming out was HOT. So I turn to these forums. I've been around comps for a while and have a few, but I havent experienced this ever. Any ideas?

Is the heatsink still making proper contact with the GPU ? Has the fan's speed lowered or stayed the same ? Any overclocking involved ?

The heatsink is still properly connected, i dont kno if the speed is the same. How do i check? Its the BFG OC version. I've tried changing the clocks lower but it still overheats. Is it dieing?

If the card is still under warranty & you've done everything in your power (without voiding the warranty) to fix the problem but it still does not work, you should send the card in for repair/replacement.

The BFG 6800 GT O/C sold with a Lifetime Warranty.

Since it is out-of-stock, you should be given a replacement Free!

What I suspect is that your heat exchanger vents are plugged with crud. Detach the casing on the heat sink and clean the fan and vents.

really dude? I got out the compressed air last night, went to town on all the dust. Completely cleaned out the whole computer. No change. 120c then it locks the comp up. I'm off to the BFG website!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back