Computer freezing up, looping sound, while playing any game (Win8 x64)

Hi! I've got an issue that I hope someone may be able to help with.
I've checked some things, without luck. If there's anything you'd like me to do, I will try it (short of a complete format...the next time I format, I'll be trying my luck with Windows 7 again)

My computer will suddenly hang with an all-black screen. It will also "freeze" and loop whatever sound was playing at the moment it crashed. As far as I've been able to determine, these crashes will only happen while playing games (I use Steam). Time from start of game to crash varies a lot. Sometimes it can crash within seconds of starting up, but other times I might be able to play for around half an hour before crashing out. What is certain though is that it *will* crash eventually. Prior to crashing, alt-tabbing out of games works fine.

Computer specs:
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz (cooled by Noctua NH-U12P with 2x 120mm fans)
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-Pro
RAM: 6GB
(2x Patriot PDC22G6400LLK DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12 (2x1GB kit, 2.2v), placed in yellow slots "DIMM_A1" and "DIMM_B1")
(2x Patriot PDC24G6400LLK DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12 (2x2GB kit, 2.2v), placed in black slots "DIMM_A2" and "DIMM_B2")
PSU: Corsair TX750W (CMPSU-750TX, *not* the newer v2 edition)
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD6870 Black Edition (with two monitors connected, using HDMI and DVI)
HDD: 6 drives, all SATA, spread out on two power cables.
Everything is behind a Fellowes surge protector.

Checkdisk:
I ran "chkdsk /f /r". It encountered problems, and fixed them. See log at http://pastebin.com/kswywuBw

Freezing issues are still present afterwards.

Dust cleaning:
I blew the machine with a big proper compressor. All dust gone, guaranteed. Also cleaned the RAM sticks.

Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.

Memtest86+:
Memtest86+ ran through the night and completed 12 passes (all four sticks present)
No errors found.

Pagefile:
I cleared out the pagefile, defragged and reset the pagefile size.

No effect. Problems persist.

Overheating:
HW setup: I've got a Fractal Design Define R4 case with 2x 120mm filtered fans sucking in air in the front, one 140mm fan pushing air out the back and two 120mm fans pushing air through the CPU's heat sink.

CPU temps idle:
CPUTIN: 36.5°C
Core 0: 56°C (?!)
Core 1: 56°C (?!)
Core 2: 43°C
Core 3: 37°C

CPU temps under load:
CPUTIN: 45.7°C
Core 0: 62°C
Core 1: 62°C
Core 2: 44°C
Core 3: 44°C

GPU temp idle: 54°C (fan is at 25%, 1006 RPM)

GPU temp load (Furmark): 87°C (fan reaches only 43%, 1960 RPM)
GPU temp with fan manually overridden to 90% (4200 RPM): 63°C
GPU temp idle with 90% fan: 34°C

I set up a camera and recorded GPU temps during a crash. It crashed at 62°C, but when stress-testing with Furmark and pushing it up to 87°C, it's stable.

PSU:
I used a digital multimeter to check voltages, following this guide:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t137886.html

As in the guide, I did this with the machine assembled, and verified stable voltage in POST, boot, while starting windows, idling in windows, under heavy load (using prime95) in windows and while shutting down.
The 12V cable (molex) varied from 12.21V to 12.23V, while the 5V cable gave me 5.18-5.19V. I also checked one of the 6-pin cables to the graphics card (the card requires two such cables), with the exact same results as the molex cable. These results seem perfectly fine to me.
I do not have an AUX plug, so I was unable to check 3.3V.

Video drivers:

I did the following:
1) Uninstalled the drivers (with Catalyst's own uninstall process)
2) restarted to safe mode
3) deleted any ATI or AMD folders
4) uninstalled the graphics card in device manager, with the delete driver checkbox checked
5) ran Treexy Driver Fusion and let it remove any AMD remnants it found
Then it gets funky:
6) Installed the Catalyst Software Suite 13.4 revision (13-4_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe) released on 4/24/2013 from support.amd.com, but got the following errors:
- "failed to load detection driver"
- "failed to detect system configuration"
7) restarted, redid the driver uninstall, but this time I installed catalyst in normal boot, not safe boot.

Machine still freezes up

Minidumps
I'm sorry, but the upload window just refuses to show the .dmp files. I dumped the 6 latest minidumps in a zip file in order to upload here.

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    67.1 KB · Views: 1
The minidumps do not show anything helpful. Run chkdsk again. If new errors are found and "fixed" again... Replace the drive

Replace the drive. If you run Chkdsk over and over and it "fixes" files each time, this is telling us that the hard drive should be backed up if possible, and the hard drive needs to be replaced ASAP

Back