7600GS Installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had trouble with both the 6200 and 7600 cards on my ASRock board.
The most recent attempt is with a 7600GS 256mb from inno 3D.
Although the card is recognised by DOS in the first boot up, and the OS, when I come to install driver, 91.47 on CD, it firstly does not recognise card and then goes into a re-boot loop finally coming to a complete stop with blank screen.
Messages in the Adaptor information file; all read unavailable. (Chip Type, DAC type, Memory size etc

I have installed all bios update relevant to video card problems, now upto v2.0 from the ASRock site.
Any suggestions welcomed. My previouse card, FX5200 128mb works fine.
All protocols followed to uninstall drivers and install NEW version for card.

Strangley enough the 7600 was installed on to my sons computer and all went well. It works. Suprise, suprise. And this is using only 512 mb RAM and an Athlon XP 1.6MHz. All on a Jetway board.
Conclusion! It must be the ASRock board.
Hair loss now severe. Suggestions please...

regards and happy New year to all.

SYSTEM:
Motherboard: ASRock K8 combo Z
Sempron 3100+
1GB ram (PC3200)
XP Sp2
500w PSU

Another high possibility is that your PSU is not up to the task of the newer, more powerful graphics card.

How many watts is your PSU rated at, who makes it, and how many amps on the +12v rail(s)? All this info is on the sticker attached to your PSU.

Thanks for the interest so far.

This is just an update on the progress.
I have now tried just about all the drivers available for this card. They include 9371, 9147 and down to 8596. Below this number drive the message is displayed that the driver does not recognise/ is not suitable for the hardware. I have even tried the Omega drivers with the same results. These include system freeze, multiple re-boot loops and very pretty colour pallets, as if in oil.
All of these finally corrupted the drive so I have spent the last 24 hours re-installing XP, several times, with a clean HD but with the same problems. It just does not want to be installed on my board. After reinstalling with my original card, FX5200 128MB using 5216, it now runs perfectly. At least, as well as it did before.
What does get up my nose is that this particular card is now installed on my son’s machine, running a slower CPU, slower and smaller memory and is giving astounding results. Before installation, using an MX440 64MB board, the 3Dmark bench-test gave him a disappointing score below 200. When my card, yes I still think of it as mine, was installed the bench-test gave him a score in excess of 6000. Now where’s the justice in that?
I had several ‘kind’ words with the Microsoft rep as I had to activate to many times, according to them. They were quite surprised that their product has problems. Well heavens to Betsy, what am I saying. Aren’t Microsoft the gods of software? Yeah, right! Everything works in their perfect world.

Again, a plea from the heart. HELP!
There must be an answer to this that will not cost any more time or money.
Suggestions of the polite kind are most welcome.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all for 2007.

System:

1. Motherboard - K8 Combo-Z. ALi ID1689 & Southbridge M1563 chipsets. Bios p2.0
2. Graphic interface - AGP vs3 8x
3. Memory - 1GB PC3200
4. CPU - AMD Sempron 3100+ skt 754
5. CPU Speed - 1800 MHz
6. Power Supply Make/Model - EZcool
7. Watt output/Amperage - 500w/34amp.

Latest Info:

Using SpeedFan (Good program by the way):
Voltages.