A few water cooling questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb444

Hi all, thanks for reading, just a few questions I couldnt find out on google (probably coz its blindingly obvious):
1. Im looking at the Alphacool Cape Coolplex 50 external
This is quite a large res, and I thought it would look nice mounted diagonally across the side of the case im fitting it to, Does the res need to be flat or vertical forwater to flow (cant find a pic big enough to see how it works)
2. If i get the system I would want to cool my CPu, chipset and RAM, (X2 4200+ X1600XT Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G), will i need a powerful pump to cool this???
Im looking at the AlphaCool AP700 Centrifugal pump 12V
which pumps 720litres /hour. Will this be ok to cool that setup (full specs in profile) looking at This: radiator, if thats important.
Thanks,
Chris

jb444 said:
Im looking at the Alphacool Cape Coolplex 50 external
This is quite a large res, and I thought it would look nice mounted diagonally across the side of the case im fitting it to, Does the res need to be flat or vertical forwater to flow (cant find a pic big enough to see how it works)
if you look at the coolplex 10 (same thing, just shorter), you can get a better idea of how it works. That is a nice looking reservoir. as long as it's full, water will flow through it regardless of how you mount it. if you plan on leaving air at the top (which lets you see the water moving and arguably looks cooler, especially when lit up) then you the water level must be higher than the intake. it uses a "climb stencil" (basically a plastic tube) to keep air from entering the loop.

if I bought a resi like that, I would mount it horizontally on top of the case with the 'climb-stencil" at the top as the outtake and the other hole on the bottom as the pump intake. I'm not saying that's what you have to do it or even how you should, that's just what I would do ;)

jb444 said:
If i get the system I would want to cool my CPu, chipset and RAM ~
will i need a powerful pump to cool this???
Im looking at the AlphaCool AP700 Centrifugal pump 12V
which pumps 720litres /hour
that pump should work fine. I use a 600L/h pump and it's more than enough to cool my [overclocked] Opteron165. (I only watercool my CPU. the chipset and RAM can be cooled passively)

the design of your system is the most important. use high-flow water blocks, keep your hoses short, and keep each component as close to the same height as possible (for example, don't make the water travel from the very bottom of the case all the way up to the top).

good luck. when you're done that will be one cool rig ;)

:wave:

KingCody said:
good luck. when you're done that will be one cool rig ;)
:wave:
Yeah hopefully...gonna have to spend a while saving up the money though..
Thanks for your help
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back