A new single-player MechWarrior game is in the works, coming in 2024

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: After reviving the long-running MechWarrior franchise, Piranha Games doesn't intend to let the series slip into dormancy again. The developer is working on another entry akin to its last release, MechWarrior 5. Be patient, though. The details are scant, and we likely won't see it for a while.

This week, Piranha Games president Russ Bullock revealed that another MechWarrior game is in the works. The new project will be more like the single-player MechWarrior 5 than the multiplayer-oriented MechWarrior Online.

Bullock confirmed the new title in an episode of the podcast No Guts No Galaxy. He said the game would be a standalone release for PC and consoles focusing on single-player and co-op modes. It will build off of the technological base of MechWarrior 5, though Bullock didn't clarify what that means.

Despite revealing the new game's development, Piranha won't formally announce it yet. Bullock suggested the company will unveil the title sometime this year, possibly in September or later in the fall.

The mech-combat simulation shooter series debuted as 1989 MechWarrior from Dynamix and Activision, a spin-off of the BattleTech tabletop franchise. The IP continued with other entries from Activision, Zipper Interactive, and Microsoft before entering a decade-long hiatus after 2002's MechWarrior4: Vengeance. Unfortunately, these titles aren't available on modern digital storefronts. Those interested in revisiting or investigating the game's history will have to download them from unofficial sources and use mods to run them on modern operating systems.

MechWarrior returned to Piranha Games with the online PvP-focused MechWarrior Online in 2013. In 2019 the company released MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries — the first traditional entry in 17 years — exclusively on the Epic Games Store before bringing it to Steam two years later.

Since then, MechWarrior 5 has received three expansion packs, with a fourth — Rise of Rasalhague — arriving on January 26. The expansion will coincide with a free update that improves the AI and the mech hangar while adding quality-of-life improvements. Rise of Rasalhague includes a 12-mission storyline, a new mech chassis, and the "infiltration" game mode.

The BattleTech franchise also includes the turn-based strategy games Crescent Hawk's Inception (1988) and Crescent Hawk's Revenge (1990). Hairbrained Schemes released a new turn-based entry simply titled BattleTech in 2018.

Permalink to story.

Good to see Piranha Games isn't letting sleeping dogs lie. Despite the initial rocky start of MWO, it matured fairly well and I certainly enjoyed MW5 Mercs, and as a fan of the IP since the 90s it is refreshing to have something to look forward to.

Good to see Piranha Games isn't letting sleeping dogs lie. Despite the initial rocky start of MWO, it matured fairly well and I certainly enjoyed MW5 Mercs, and as a fan of the IP since the 90s it is refreshing to have something to look forward to.
Something about gaming in the early 90s for me is that it seems like a lot of games were like playing out a kids sci-fi fantasy. You want to pilot a giant robot? here's mech warrior! You want to pilot fighter craft and fight mysterious alliens? here's Freespace!

I worked on Mechwarrior 2 and Black Knight back in the day. Fun times. I later moved over to Virtual Worlds who did the Battletech simulation tanks. Wow. Old memories.
As a developer?

I loved and played the heck out of Mechwarrior 2 and 3. I also loved the 2 soundtrack that came on the CD, I still play it to this day.

I never knew MW5 had single player campaign, I had just incorrectly assumed it was going to be a newer MWO. I tried MWO and it was ok, I just prefer a campaign that I can take my time on and not get my *** kicked by people because they can afford to become experts. I'll have to buy MW5 and try it out.

Glad to see the game may continue and with a focus on SP. I will certainly be watching more closely now.

Something about gaming in the early 90s for me is that it seems like a lot of games were like playing out a kids sci-fi fantasy. You want to pilot a giant robot? here's mech warrior! You want to pilot fighter craft and fight mysterious alliens? here's Freespace!
Absolutely, and if not Freespace you had the Wing Commander Franchise (or if you leaned towards Lucas Films you had X-Wing and/or Tie-Fighter).

As a developer?

I loved and played the heck out of Mechwarrior 2 and 3. I also loved the 2 soundtrack that came on the CD, I still play it to this day.

I never knew MW5 had single player campaign, I had just incorrectly assumed it was going to be a newer MWO. I tried MWO and it was ok, I just prefer a campaign that I can take my time on and not get my *** kicked by people because they can afford to become experts. I'll have to buy MW5 and try it out.

Glad to see the game may continue and with a focus on SP. I will certainly be watching more closely now.
Yeah I worked for FASA but I was a liaison to Activision and Quantum Factory. Did some artwork for them too. Texture work in the game as well. Whatever was needed really.

Loved Mechwarrior, but stopped after it became Mercenaries. A single player game would be awesome. I spent so much time customising mechs it was ridiculous.

Man, that felt good. Thanks. An old man now. :p Still gaming though!
Considering how formative the Mechwarrior series (and Battletech Tabletop to a lesser extent) was to my early gaming habits, it PAINS me to know how old MW2 and MW3 are and that I even played them when they came out. I still have the original boxes for MW2 and it's two expansions, and MW3 and it's expansion. :)

Cheesing missions with the Firestarter (edit: I'm sorry, Fire Moth aka Dasher) in the first two MW2 games or Elemental in MW2 Mercs still is funny to me, even after almost 30 years.

Last edited:
Back